Good deal on a LCP?

This is a discussion on Good deal on a LCP? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was at gun store that I had never been to before and saw a Ruger LCP for sale. I've been wanting one for a while, ...

Thread: Good deal on a LCP?

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar

Good deal on a LCP?

Was at gun store that I had never been to before and saw a Ruger LCP for sale. I've been wanting one for a while, but they've all been at least $450 or out of stock. This one has been used once and comes with two mags for $300 (maybe less with a discount).

The shop guy told me that the guy who originally bought it had big hands and after he took it to the range once, he brought it back and got a bigger gun. They said they will hold it for me until I get out of school tomorrow. I'm not sure if it is a recall or not. If it is, I assume that Ruger will take care of it with no cost to me.

Deal or No Deal?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    sounds like an awesome deal!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    I like my LCP, right now it's at Ruger getting the upgrade, no cost to me. I understand they'll send it back with an extra mag and a cap.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

paid 350 for mine before the recall and I was happy. Now I have 2 mags and I am even happier. this gun is actually more of a pleasure to shoot than the .38 snub I had.

I would snap it up in a second if I had the means.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I'd go for it. I paid about $374 for mine.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

LCP

SN beginning 370-XXXXX is pre-recall. SN 371-XXXXX is post recall. A pre-recall gun that has been worked on by Ruger will have a diamond stamped in the hammer well. MSRP is $329. You can go to the ElsiePea forum for much info on the LCP.

Oops...should have put Elsie Pea Forum - The #1 Ruger LCP Owner Forum and Information Source as the proper address to more information on the Ruger LCP. For $300 or less I would say "Deal." And yes, Ruger will take care of the recall if it hasn't been done already.

Quote Originally Posted by cbinsd View Post
    SN beginning 370-XXXXX is pre-recall. SN 371-XXXXX is post recall. A pre-recall gun that has been worked on by Ruger will have a diamond stamped in the hammer well. MSRP is $329. You can go to the ElsiePea forum for much info on the LCP.
    Unfortunately, they've raised the MSRP to $347.00. The $300 used price isn't great (I paid $299 new) but if you can't find one in your area and the ones you can find scalpers are trying to get $400+ out of them, th $300 looks pretty good. If it's already went in for the recall, it should have two magazines with it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

tjm
    I had nearly the exact same deal offered to me (mine had 3 magazines). I bought it and no regrets! It now lives in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster and has a Crimson Trace Laser Sight on it.

I nearly forgot, mine is post recall and does have the diamond mark on it.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbinsd View Post
    Many series 370- are new build, not reworked. There was nothing wrong with the part that contains the serial number. There were quite a few in stock when production was suspended until delivery of the new parts. When production resumed the part containing the 370- number was used up before beginning to use the 371- part holding the serial number.

Furthermore, 371- = 370- + diamond,
    whether recall processed with diamond
    or new production 370- with diamond
    or 371- without diamond.

Ruger will unquestionably process your gun to recall specs if it does not look like the picture above, without cost to you and provide you with a spare mag with the pinky extension and an LCP hat, to boot. If in doubt, give their customer service a call with the serial number and they will confirm it's status.

I would examine it closely for signs of use as well as field strip it and check out the springs and barrel. If it looks nice, I would recommend buying it. Although there are places that sell it at a discount, most are charging a premium.

Good luck.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

the prices on the lcp are out of control. if it was me a would go for the p3at. price will/should be better. i know everbody wants the ruger name on their pocket gun and the kel tec has gotten a bad rap in most respects. but the p3at is hard to beat. both guns are pocket gun and not made to be range guns.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links