Defensive Carry banner

Hunting Turkey w/Shotgun: Scope Required?

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  dukalmighty 
#1 ·
Hey fellas- I am going to make my first attempt at turkey hunting this spring. I have a Benelli Nova that I really enjoy shooting (have slayed a few ducks with it) and am wondering if I absolutely have to have a scope on the shotgun or if I could just focus on the front sight?

#2 ·
Its a shotgun. Why would you necessarily need a scope for turkey? If you can hit what your shooting at by looking down the barrel and the front sight your good to go.

#4 ·
Unless you are using a rifled barrel, iron sights are more accurate than the shotgun so a scope would be an overkill ...... unless your eyesight has deteriorated, like presbyopia; then the scope would help.

#6 ·
I can't imagine using a scope on a shotgun (unless you're using slugs on deer). Shooting a turkey isn't like snap shooting dove, quail or even flaring ducks. If you can hit a teal zipping around your decoys, you can darn sure hit a turkey walking on the ground. Good luck on the hunt.

Hoss

#8 ·
Ditto that. If your shotgun doesn't have one, they are well worth the additional cost especially at dawn or dusk.

Hoss

#9 ·
I also have a Nova, I purchased it when they first came out, it has been to the duck blind and the turkey blind ever since I have gotten it. I use the stock sights and have not had a problem with it. I also like the bead sights because I have wing shot some turkeys before, ( walking the field edge to my blind and flushed them up) it would be hard to acquire them if I was using a scope.

#11 ·
No.

Why would you need magnification to shoot a target the size of a turkey at a range of 35to 40 yds. at max.
As others suggested save your coin and get an FO front site or a gold beadif you want to spend coin.

Turkey hunting is a close to intermediate range type of hunt.

- Janq

#12 ·
Long story, but a Jeep works.....

#13 ·
No scope needed just a good choke tube with a tight x full tight pattern will put them down out to 50 + yds every time, I use the Remington combo shot 4x6 great stuff this has been my turkey shot for years, no need to buy all of that new BS tungston shot which is so expensive the old stuff has been good for the last 50 years to me its just a rip off sales pitch buy the ammo co.to make a profit

#21 ·
Your problem may be when they flush you see a whole buncha birds and shoot at the flock thinking noway I'm gonna miss,the trick is as they get up pick out one bird and concentrate on that one bird to shoot at,and don't try to rush and try to double

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.