The good guys lost in Wisconsin.

This is a discussion on The good guys lost in Wisconsin. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is enough to make you cry. Assembly fails to override veto on concealed weapons bill By Anita Weier The state Assembly failed today to ...

Thread: The good guys lost in Wisconsin.

This is enough to make you cry.

Assembly fails to override veto on concealed weapons bill
    By Anita Weier
    The state Assembly failed today to override Gov. Jim Doyle's veto of bill that would have allowed Wisconsin residents to carry a concealed weapon with a permit in most cases.

The vote was 64-34, two short of the two-thirds majority required. The Senate approved the override Thursday on 23-10 vote.

Two Democrats who had voted for the bill when it originally passed changed their votes. They were Rep. John Steinbrink of Pleasant Prairie and Rep. Terry Van Akkeren of Sheboygan.

Steinbrink issued a written statement saying he had heard from a large number of constituents on both sides of the issue.

Photo by Mike DeVries/The Capital Times
    State assembly fails to override concealed carry bill veto.
    He said though he supported the amended bill passed by the Assembly in December, he feared it would serve as a "foot in the door" to a less restrictive law that would allow guns in more places and removed other protections.

"The protections we won regarding regular training, sobriety, law enforcement access to records and keeping guns away from schools are too important to lose," Steinbrink said.

Steinbrink also noted the concerns of several law enforcement groups.

Doyle held a press conference with numerous law enforcement officials shortly before the vote, calling for support of the veto.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    I too, as I said in the other thread - am appalled and dismayed beyond belief.

There is no appealing to a lot of folk's sense of what is right. They will only be influenced by the loudest voices they choose to listen to - all that and they cannot even find guidance in the majority of shall issue states and their unmitigated success.

Sad day. That is an understatement - it is also another smack in the eye for the 2A as well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I hate to say it but I knew that was going to happen. If the measure presented before any legislative body was "Do not drop a thermonuclear bomb on this building right now" it would be nigh impossible to get a 2/3 majority vote.

The thing about it though, is Wiscounsin is now in a state where the people want CCW badly, and now that it's been swatted down twice, the odds of ever getting it are slim to none.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    $chitz and condolances to all the good folks up there

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I hate to say it but I knew that was going to happen. If the measure presented before any legislative body was "Do not drop a thermonuclear bomb on this building right now" it would be nigh impossible to get a 2/3 majority vote.

The thing about it though, is Wiscounsin is now in a state where the people want CCW badly, and now that it's been swatted down twice, the odds of ever getting it are slim to none.
    I have to disagree with Euc on this one. We managed a veto override in Missouri, after failing a popular vote (not that I believe it was a fair vote, mind you). Took years of fighting, but we got some of our rights back. The fight to restore the rights of the good citizens of WI will go on.

Take it to the polls, every person who voted against this measure needs to be collecting unemployment.

I expect every state to regain the right to defend themselves, in time. May be decades for NY, CA, and IL, but we'll get there eventually. I also hope to see the NFA and the GCA fall within my time on this earth.

Yeah, call me an optimist :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Assistant Administrator
    the odds of ever getting it are slim to none.
    Just perhaps, in a ''post Doyle'' governorship - ?? Seems pretty slim looking at it now but heck - we gotta keep hope alive.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That sucks, I feel for all the folks in WI who once again get hammered by a selfish and egotistical governor. Hopefully you'll get someone in there in November who's more in touch with what the citizens of WI want and get this passed next year.

I kind of thought that might happen.

Sponsored Links