Problem with a P99C 9mm, could use ideas.

This is a discussion on Problem with a P99C 9mm, could use ideas. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife's P99C 9mm continues to have FTF issues. She pulls the trigger, and the pin fails to mark the round. Per an old post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife's P99C 9mm continues to have FTF issues. She pulls the trigger, and the pin fails to mark the round.

Per an old post from October: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ggestions.html

On 2nd pull round will fire (one nice thing about the P99C is the Single / Double action when the round does not fire). It is good to know she can keep pressing the trigger, if there is a FTF, and more than likely the firearm will continue to pump round at a BG.

It is not her, it is most likely the firearm. I'm careful not to get oil in the firing pin compartment. I might not understand how properly clean this firearm.

I'm considering contacting for warranty. Just posting one last time to read any thoughts. Thanks.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    If the round in the chamber does not fire when hammer drops on it you have a Fail To Fire. Instead of letting her try it again, cycle the slide by hand and check the round for marks on the primer. If there is a weak indentation, or no indentation that would be a sign it is the gun at fault. If you have a good indentation on the primer, but no ignition, I would suspect the ammo. Try another brand of ammo and see if she has the same problem. If she does I'd contact the gun manufacturer for warranty work. If changing to another brand ammo works, problem solved.

VIP Member
    Check the firing ping assembly. You may have some dirt that is not allowing full power to the strike
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member

Firing pin assembly check

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Check the firing ping assembly. You may have some dirt that is not allowing full power to the strike
    I've never had that particular problem, but one thing I don't like about my 99c is that there is very little that can be effectively cleaned if you follow Smith's instructions. About all you can do is clean surfaces.

Which, brings up a question for anyone who knows--

Between XD 9 sc, G 26 which can be most thoroughly taken down for cleaning? How do these compare with a Sig 229/228, and what about take down for thorough cleaning of the LCP?

I know, I asked a lot of questions in one sentence. THing is, I don't want to buy another gun I can't manage to clean. One thing I love about my Colt Mustang is the ease of cleaning it --thanks to great instructions from LIMA.

This problem has never happened to me, but has happened to her and several others who have given her firearm a try (some far more experienced with firearms then me).

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    ...one thing I don't like about my 99c is that there is very little that can be effectively cleaned if you follow Smith's instructions. About all you can do is clean surfaces...
    One of the reasons, even before purchase, I was hopeful she would want a Glock. So easy to clean. The sub-compact Glock at the end of the mag pinched her little fingers (I have heard this from a number of women). Once that happened she was done with the Glock.

That leasds to:

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    How?

I think the problem is The firing ping assembly. Yesterday when I cleaned the firearm I took a chance (as I could not see anything else to do) and I took a few bristles of a brush and pushed them into the pin's hole a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    ...If changing to another brand ammo works, problem solved.
    I have tried a few brands of 9mm. Has happened to every brand used (except 9mm +P). My best guess, is the fireing pin just never comes out of the hole.

The only things that gives me hope is that several on the internet, who have had similiar problems, said the firearm needed a break in period of 1000 rounds (it has only had around 800).
    NRA Member

Breakin has nothing to do with firing pin strikes,you have a problem with light or no primer hits you have a problem with the gun,I have read up on the way your gun fires and without actually being able to figure out what's going on I think you need to either send it back for repairs or have a gunsmith look at it,theres something going on with the trigger system
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    How?
    I've got an SW99 so I think the take down should be the same. Let me see if I can find a way to get some pics to explain it.

After you remove the slide from the frame, you'll need to get a small punch.

Push the punch into the hole just above the "cocked" indicator. My picture is terrible but maybe you'll get the idea. It's just below the rear sight.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7703/29393337rv8.jpg

After you push in, you should be able to slide down the plastic part and remove it from the slide.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9357/40827532kl3.jpg

Then you can just push the striker out the back of the slide.

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 66827133gy3.jpg

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: 51121453ii4.jpg

Once you've done that you can then clean the striker and the channel out. As far as I know, you're not supposed to lube the channel so I would leave it dry. You could even use an air compressor to blast out some of the gunk once you hit it with your cleaning solution. Hope this works for you.

VIP Member

Please, pics would be very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    I've got an SW99 so I think the take down should be the same. Let me see if I can find a way to get some pics to explain it.
    Please, pics would be very helpful. Of course, Smith will claim any such work voids the warranty.

Fortunately I've not had the problem of failure to fire, and all I do is squirt gun cleaner on the surfaces. Still, I don't like not being able to get 'er apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Please, pics would be very helpful. Of course, Smith will claim any such work voids the warranty.

Fortunately I've not had the problem of failure to fire, and all I do is squirt gun cleaner on the surfaces. Still, I don't like not being able to get 'er apart.
    I've done this to my gun for years. I even scratched up a bit of the plastic on accident, so one could definitely tell I was removing the striker. I had to have some other work done on my gun and S&W never skipped a beat with the warranty. I'm not even the original owner of the gun.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Thanis,
    Have you contacted by phone the factory/Distributor on thiis matter? Either S&W or Walther?
    What did they have to say about it?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Thank you ElMonoDelMar. I 'll give this a try.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Thanis,
    Have you contacted by phone the factory/Distributor on thiis matter? Either S&W or Walther?
    What did they have to say about it?
    I have not, and that might be a good idea as well. I'll do that first.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I think Walther-USA is @ 1-800-372-6454 or 413-747-3255.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    The only things that gives me hope is that several on the internet, who have had similiar problems, said the firearm needed a break in period of 1000 rounds (it has only had around 800).
    I've put roughly 500 rounds through my new one, and am happy to report not one single hiccup, ever!!! I love this gun!!!!!
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links