Have handgun / firearm sales slowed?

This is a discussion on Have handgun / firearm sales slowed? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hit a few shops today to see what used firearms have hit the counters. During small talk the gunshops stated that handgun sales have slowed. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have handgun / firearm sales slowed?

Hit a few shops today to see what used firearms have hit the counters. During small talk the gunshops stated that handgun sales have slowed. I got the impression that AR-15s are still selling at an increased rate and there are some supply issues. Overall, they are low on stock, and are waiting on orders, but almost all stated the handgun sales are not keeping to the 2008 pace.

I also noticed the range was not as busy. They crew at the range said things have gone back to a normal pace (maybe a little more busy).

I think the panic has ended, and there are other expenses to address. I wonder if sales will pick back up after returns arrive.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Probably. I'm going to buy 3 handguns and a rifle with my return.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i was at cabela's today...it doesn't seem like handgun sales have decreased...it was the busiest I've ever seen the handgun counter there.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

The only reason it seems to have slowed is because there is barely anything left in the stores...or anything you want and can afford anyway.

Human car washes at the two shops I visited this past week.

A recent NIC's check took 55 minutes this week versus 48 or so hours mid-December, if that's worth a plugged nickel. Store inventory was low tho.

Clerk at Wally-World commented he was starting to get ahead on ammo stock too.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by slowmo44 View Post
    The only reason it seems to have slowed is because there is barely anything left in the stores...or anything you want and can afford anyway.
    that's exactly what I was thinking too.....

Quote Originally Posted by slowmo44 View Post
    Best reasons I can think of. I'm glad I have everything I need. I'm sort of standing back and laughing with the way things are going now. Sad in a way, but we all have to make hay while the sun shines.

VIP Member
    They sure haven't slowed around here.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Interesting.

Could just be my area. Times are bad here.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Hey I'm trying to do my part.
    Picked up the first 12-22-08
    another 01-16-09
    two more coming 02-05-09
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Local Wal-Mart had been out of .38, 9mm, .40 and .45 for the last month and a half. Was told it was Nation-wide shortage from distribution point. Did see they had 8 boxes of Blaser brass .45 in the display case last night. Wasn't shopping for it, just curious. Lady said she would be shocked if it wasn't gone by this morning. Sales are still up in WV, local shop was still picked clean of anything other than SKS, 22lr and Enfield .303's. Had the odd couple of old traded in shotguns left.
    I hold my God and my guns VERY close. No big suprise that the Government hates me...

Firm believer in the "Tri-States Manifesto"

Busy

Well, I got an unexpected overtime shift today and missed the local gun show but reports are it was wall to wall people and what ammo was available was expensive. No .223 / 5.56 under a buck a round for brass cased stuff. At the gunshop we are still seeing a lot of business. More first-time gun buyers than I've ever seen and we are doing a brisk business with lessons on the range. That's probably a good thing. We are also a pawn shop and we aren't seeing an unusual increase in pawns. The same old guns are being pawned, nobody is bringing in their new Ar or AK or anything. The same amount of pawns being picked up and pawns being lost. That doesn't seem to have changed much. We have had no trouble getting ammo in in bulk for the range, but the price is up. I think a box of 50 9mm FMJ from American Eagle or Independance is $16 retail now. We are working on an order for 10 ARs for a local PD where the individual officer will spec out their own AR and the city will buy it and payroll-deduct the cost. We made some good contact at SHOT, and we still can't get 10 AR lowers in a timely manner. Looks like a 3 month wait for our order. We have plenty of AR mags, AK mags, 5.45 Tantal mags, and even some Glock 22 and 23 mags, although the price is way up on the Glocks. I even have a bunch of Uzi mags coming in for less that $15 a mag. (we have some 9mm ARs in stock and I have an Uzi, too.)

No signs of the rush slowing down in Central FL.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I think some of it is starting to move into regional mode. I went up to the People's Republik of Portland show last weekend just to see and prices were inflated. I swung by a local show this weekend that is about 40 miles away from Portland. Much smaller, much quieter and I noticed several of the same vendors there that had booths in Portland, but their prices were down to very reasonable. One ammo vendor was charging a $100 less per 1000 of .223. Springfield XD's which were fetching $650 to $700 up in Portland had their price tags down to $599 or less. Nearyl every other table had some sort of sign indicating there would be a discount for cash sales.

I'm thinking this is all going to level out here soon.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Not sure about handgun sales in my area, but both local Walmarts are completely out of all handgun ammo, and have been for at least a week.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links