Are you a Glock Guru? Please help my co-worker!

This is a discussion on Are you a Glock Guru? Please help my co-worker! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello All. I have a co-worker with TINY hands and she owns a model 32 in .357 Sig. She has found out the hard way ...

Thread: Are you a Glock Guru? Please help my co-worker!

Are you a Glock Guru? Please help my co-worker!

Hello All.

I have a co-worker with TINY hands and she owns a model 32 in .357 Sig. She has found out the hard way that they are expensive to shoot and hard to find. I suggested a .40 or 9mm conversion barrel and magazine change for the 9mm, but have a couple of questions.

1. What Glock model is the 9mm equal to the 32? This would give her the correct magazines, and maybe a barrel to drop in.
    2. When comparing recoil, is the .40 much different than the .357 sig? I've suggested the 9mm over the .40 for cost and also easy access to supply, but she originally preferred the .40 S&W.
    3. I have read about extractor issues between calibers. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance. My only experience with a Glock was a model 22 that cut my finger every time I pulled the trigger.

Mark
    I hold my God and my guns VERY close. No big suprise that the Government hates me...

Firm believer in the "Tri-States Manifesto"

2. Remove Ads

9mm conversion of G32

The G32 is the same size externally as the G19. An after-market conversion barrel and G19 magazines will give your friend a pistol capable of firing 9mm. Insofar as the extractor and ejector go, if she intends to make a total transformation to 9mm, they can both be changed and will help to ensure reliability. I had one G23 I bought
    9mm conversion mags and a barrel for, and it workd without a flaw with teh .40 cal. extractor and ejector, but I'd rather be safe than sorry if I was going to keep the gun in 9mm.

I Carry a G32 as my primary CCW.

As Snowman says, The G19 is the 9mm twin to her G32.

How much shooting will she be doing? If not much (<12 range visits per year), just buy some bulk ammo (75 x 12 = 900 rnds) and a 50 box of SD ammo of choice online and she's set for the year.

If she is going to practice often, for ~$120 she can pick up a 9mm Conversion barrel and mag. No need to change the extractor if she is just using the 9mm at the range, but I would not carry a converted Glock as my CCW. I would trade the G32 for a G19 if she wants a 9mm carry weapon.

Happy Shooting.

-Soular
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. -C. S. Lewis

All - Thank you VERY much for the replies. She has plans to become an avid shooter, and purchased the G32 from an aquantance. I know she has plans to shoot regularly and I will make the recommendation to get the 9mm barrel and mag. I have also tried to convince her to keep the .357 Sig and carry that. The 9mm will be used for range use and becoming more proficient.

Again, Thank you all for your help. Like I mentioned in the original post, I didn't know what Glock was the 9mm equal and now that has been answered. I will make sure to recommend the right magazines.

Is there one drop-in barrel better than another? I have seen a couple offered on GB.com and would rather have the sage advice of someone who has "been there / done that".

-Mark
    I hold my God and my guns VERY close. No big suprise that the Government hates me...

Quote Originally Posted by captnemo34 View Post
    I have also tried to convince her to keep the .357 Sig and carry that. The 9mm will be used for range use and becoming more proficient.-Mark
    No. 9mm will always be easier to shoot accurately, versus the .357 Sig and .40 S&W. "Power factors" apply to IDPA, not carry guns. Don't do it man, it's doing her a disservice. Practice with what you carry, carry what you practice with.

Administrator
    It will be cheaper and easier for her to simply sell the 32 and purchase a 19. Yes, she will lose a few dollars doing that, but it will still be cheaper than buuying a new barrel and mags. That way there is no goofy retro fitting and chancing reliability with aftermarket parts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+1 to Sixto's reply

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It will be cheaper and easier for her to simply sell the 32 and purchase a 19. Yes, she will lose a few dollars doing that, but it will still be cheaper than buuying a new barrel and mags. That way there is no goofy retro fitting and chancing reliability with aftermarket parts.
    If you have a WV Shooters board, it could be posted as a FTF sale (I assume that's legal in WV...?) and some stud looking for the Hammer of Thor would either trade his girly 19 straight across or give close to retail for the FTF.

Folks,

The advice and recommendations have been great! Thanks again.

The biggest problem with this whole scenario is location. If I could go to the range with her, I believe I could help her more. I live in WV, work in VA, and the G32 owner lives in AZ. She is out here TDY as the customer rep and the guy she bought the gun from in my opinion was just looking to get rid of it. For her little hands, it sounds like too much round for her. I will explain the benefits of the trade-in approach and leave it at that. I would really hate to suggest the barrel replacement and then after she is back in AZ, find out that she has some un-anticipated problem.

Again, for my first post/question for the forum, I couldn't have asked for better responses and advice. Thanks!

Moderator, you can close this one down if you like. Unless you feel someone else may benefit from the thread, my question has been answered completely!

-Mark

a 9mm barrel and several mags is the cheap way to go. or you could sale/trade for a g19. or just buy a g19 and you will have two glocks.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links