When You Aim A Gun...

This is a discussion on When You Aim A Gun... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm 53 years old, just getting back into shooting after 10 years with my CCW and have noticed a problem I didn't have before. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When You Aim A Gun...

When You Aim A Gun...

I'm 53 years old, just getting back into shooting after 10 years with my CCW and have noticed a problem I didn't have before. I wear glasses with progressive bifocals, and I now have the problem of how to integrate the sights, target, and my glasses. As those of you in my position know, you can position the glasses to bring either the target or the sights in sharp focus, but not both. My main concern here is when firing a pistol. But any general advice would be accepted.

So, I question those of you in my position... What do you do?

No suggestions of using laser sights. I may go that route but not now. Besides, they drastically change either the grip or holster needs. So let's no go there.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

2. Remove Ads

do like I did , learn to point shoot , problem solved. Just concentrate on the target , let the front sight be blurry . soon you will just pull the gun up and shoot without looking at the sights. You have to figure in a defensive situation you wont have time to aim. So why practice that way?
    I bow to one king, and serve only one kingdom
    JESUS CHRIST

I wear trifocals and for me it's the sights that I want in sharp focus.

I'm having the same problem. Like a lot of other things I used to be able to do, I used to shoot pretty well. Now, not so much. I'm about to conclude it's my tri-foculs. I'm working on the point shooting now. I think that is the solution- I hope so.
    I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I have glasses with the bottom portion bi-focals. It's definitely taken me off stride a little. The Point Shooting as mentioned is a sound way to go on this relatively speaking, if we engage a BG, it's going to be in a 10 yard span anyways, so therefore the point shooting is what most will use whether they realize it or not. Someone comes in my front door about 6/7 yards from where I sit at this puter, I'm not going to use the sights, I'm going to point and shoot.

Though as with anything, it takes practice also just in case you have to go out further then 10 yards.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Point shooting for defense, dedicated glasses for target shooting so you can see the front sight

Anyone have a suggestion on what to read on the subject of point shooting?
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

Interesting post, I deal with the same problem and pretty much came up with the same solution. 10 yards or so..... just point and shoot. Many times.
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
    minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
    by the clean end"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Kill or Get Killed is a good place to start. I think gutterfighting.com (.org?) has a downloadable pdf of it
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Tactical Shooting Academy - Firearms Training at a Higher Level | FIST-FIRE - The Book
    Right now he is out of his book. But you can watch his videos . This is the guy I learned from. To me he is the best on point shooting.He shoots a target at 100 yards with a gun with no sights.This is the reason I had the rear sights taken off my gun. Made it easier to point shoot cause you dont have the rear sight to distract you.
    JESUS CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerdd2 View Post
    Tactical Shooting Academy - Firearms Training at a Higher Level | FIST-FIRE - The Book
    Right now he is out of his book. But you can watch his videos . This is the guy I learned from. To me he is the best on point shooting.He shoots a target at 100 yards with a gun with no sights.This is the reason I had the rear sights taken off my gun. Made it easier to point shoot cause you dont have the rear sight to distract you.
    Did you take the training?
    Jeff
    NRA Member

I havent as of yet. I used his book which has very good point in it. I did go by his range one day , but it had been raining and was too muddy . Did talk to him and get some very good advise.
    JESUS CHRIST

Well, went to Amazon and ordered "Practical Shooting : Beyond Fundamentals" and "Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight" Will order "Fist Fire" when I can.

This should get me started. There's no good training around here and I can't take the time off from work, or pay the fees and other costs for LFI or any of the other out of state training.

I need a lot of cheap practice ammo!
    Jeff
    NRA Member

I just read about a technique that teaches you to hold your index finger along the side of the pistol and pull the trigger with your middle finger. Truly point and shoot. I'd be afraid of injuring my finger on the slide!

Anybody heard of this?
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Johnsonabq -I too have reached that magical age range. Where I've had to make the decision to use reading glasses and being able to see the sights and not the possible threat. Or focusing on the threat and learning to compensate for the lack of clearly outlined sights. Being confident that if the need to squeeze the trigger was to come about, I would be able defend myself and know where any and all rounds would be down range.

For me, I found the answer right here on this forum. His screen-name on this forum is AzQkr. Those of us that know him just call him Brownie!
    The techniques this mans teaches are surely nothing new.

Check with some of the old timers around here and you'll see what I mean!

Best-a-luck too ya!!!
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links