Ever Play With Your Gun In The Bathroom?

This is a discussion on Ever Play With Your Gun In The Bathroom? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Odd topic I know... As many of you know, mother nature put on a nice display of her power for most of Kentucky. As such ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Play With Your Gun In The Bathroom?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Odd topic I know...

As many of you know, mother nature put on a nice display of her power for most of Kentucky. As such I got the nice opportunity to
    live in the dark and sleep in a 40/f house.

While in the bathroom (in the dark and no G&A or other edcational material) I began to play with my SW9VE. Changing magazines, chambering a round and removing it and clearing the gun while in the dark. I can tell you it IS different in the dark. While you
    may say, heck I can load my gun, change magazines etc in a flash, doing it in the dark presents far more difficulty than you would think.
    Or at least it appears that way to me. If you drop something feel is your only option. Something I did learn however was the the sound something made we it fell. After a few minutes I began to learn where something was based on where I heard it fall. [Learn to listen closely!]

In the dark my gun initially felt foreign. Bigger, clumsy and pointing was was everywhere.

After a couple of days practice, noting where my arm/hand was in relation to my body gave some better pointing skills. Finding things became a bit easier and a fieldstrip was successful 4 times in a row after trying 20+ times to get it right.

I know this is elementry to those of you with many years of practice but for those like me I encourage you familirize yourself
    with you primary gun in a dark or subdude light environment. You will find it ain't near as easy as you might think.

By the way, my wife who heard all of this going on thinks I may need to be commited. Probably so but I sure feel a lot better about my abilities.

Best to all.

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

With all due respect I think you are an accidental discharge waiting to happen.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    While a field strip and assembly in the dark probably isn't very useful (but yeah, it is fun, especially with AR's), weapons handling in the dark is definitely a good skill to have. A bg attacking at night probably won't do so in a well lit area. It's best to avoid those dark areas, but you can't always. Also, when manipulating your weapon in an engagement, you need to keep your eyes on the target. Taking them away from the target to reload or operate a control is no good.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    With all due respect I think you are an accidental discharge waiting to happen.
    This has some truth in it...better to practice with snap caps :)
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

"Playing" with the gun? You have too much time on your hands...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

You probably do need to be committed...

VIP Member
    The idea of getting used to the gun, to working it, loading it, unloading it, by feel in the dark is interesting and perhaps worthwhile. But, it can also be dang dangerous as another poster suggested, an nd waiting to happen.

There's a reason G-d invented flashlights and batteries, Coleman lanterns and gasoline.

VIP Member
    I hope you aren't the guy that recently shot the toilet?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-fox-news.html
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Here's an idea that will help people who want to "practice" with their firearm of choice. They sell "dummy" cartridges that are used for dry fire of firearms.
    I've seen them at several of local gun shops here in Vegas. If you must practice for sudden blackout conditions you might as well do it safely. There is no point in injuring or losing any body parts in the event of an accident. Let's all be safe!

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

BAC
    I read the title and thought this might be an inappropriate topic for this forum...

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I just think this is not a very good idea to recommend...an accident waiting to happen....unless of course you are FBI agent Stearling in Silence of the Lambs...

Rick

No I never play with a fire arm while on the throne I'll unholster the rig & put it to the side.

It took me ten years to get my wife comfortable with the idea of a gun in the house. Any mention of me "playing" with it, especially with live rounds, would put all that work out the window.

No thanks.

-JT

Like others have said whenever practicing your draw or magazine changes you need to do so with dummy ammo,one slip and you got a round going off in your house,no matter how careful you are It's a bad Idea
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links