Ruger Blackhawk in .357...opinions...

This is a discussion on Ruger Blackhawk in .357...opinions... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was curious about the Ruger New Blackhawk SA in .357. I think that would be an ideal gun to be a companion piece to ...

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk in .357...opinions...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Ruger Blackhawk in .357...opinions...

I was curious about the Ruger New Blackhawk SA in .357. I think that would be an ideal gun to be a companion piece to to a Marlin 1894C in .357. I like the 4, 5/8" barrel lenght but am torn between the blued version (more traditional) and the stainless model.

I was curious how many of you have this gun in .357 and what you think about it and what you think about blued vs stainless other than just personal preference.

Do you have a lever action too? And I'd love to see pics of the leather you use for it!

Galco makes a nice holster and gun belt for the Blackhawks that can be worn strong side or cross draw. It's rugger and outdoorsie but not a real western rig (which I wouldn't want).

So if you have this gun I'd love to hear from you...

2. Remove Ads

Not really an exact match with what you are looking at BUT.....I have two older Vaquero 357mag with 4 5/8 barrel and a nice holsters/belt set from San Pedro Saddlery (nolonger in business, was in Tombstone AZ). I'm partial to Rugers having worked in their polishing shop. I think you would really like the blackhawk and will find it to be accurate and fun to shoot. I have also the Marlin 1894 in 44 mag (shoot 44sp at the range). Smooth action, accurate to POA, lots of fun included. Both weapons are in stainless.....I know its not historically accurate but hey, I like the "look" and I believe (other opinions have been duly noted) it protects the firearms better than bluing. I am looking for that dang camera.........where the h*ll is that thing ?........

VIP Member
    Excellent weapons, I have several mostly old models (three screw) in different calibers. Rugers are built like tanks and are very durable. While I do not have a lever action I do have one in 30carbine that goes well with my M1 Carbine. Also due to the strength of the 45LC model it can be loaded to almost the same ballistics as the 44mag.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I used to have a new model convertible (357 and a 9mm cylinder) and I kick myself in the butt everyday for trading it even though I got a great deal out of it. You can not go wrong with that pistol!

I have had an old style .357 Blackhawk for over 30 years. Love it.
    (Had the same rifle you mention, and regret selling it, but have another in 30-30)

Mine is blue, and I have had no problems with it. Keep it clean and oiled, and there shouldn't be a problem.
    I have a single-six in .22/.22mag in stainless (bicentenial model).
    Both shoot well, and are fun, but the Blackhawk gets more woods time.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Thanks for the inputs guys! I have a Ruger single six and love it but it needs a trip back to the factory to get fitted for a .22 lr cylinder that got lost in one of our moves. I'm also thinking of getting it refinished as the blueing has a lot of wear. I used to carry that in the woods ALL the time but now I'm usually carrying a .45 or SP101...

Thanks again for the inputs!

Links