Four semis and a revolver yesterday; one failed, care to guess which one?

This is a discussion on Four semis and a revolver yesterday; one failed, care to guess which one? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We put 250 9mm rounds through an H&K USP, H&K P2000, and Glock 17, and 50 rounds (.45 ACP) through a 1911. We put six ...

Thread: Four semis and a revolver yesterday; one failed, care to guess which one?

Senior Moderator

We put 250 9mm rounds through an H&K USP, H&K P2000, and Glock 17, and 50 rounds (.45 ACP) through a 1911. We put six .38 spcl. rounds through a Colt Cobra revolver and it locked up.

After shooting six rounds the cylinder release wouldn't budge. The cylinder would rotate easily but the latch just wouldn't release. The gun had been shot very little. When the owner got it home he pried the latch loose with a screwdriver. I probably would have taken it to a gunsmith as is, to see if he could determine what was wrong.

Anyway I thoroughly enjoyed shooting the autos. All of them perfomed flawlessly except the P2000 wasn't locking back on the last round with the only magazine I had with me. I didn't do any troubleshooting on it, just reloaded, racked the slide and fired some more.

I guess the four semi's triggers were as different as it can get. The USP was DA/SA, the P2000 was LEM, the Glock was Glock, well I had a 3.5# connector in it and some polish work. The 1911 was an all stainless I built from Caspian and Wilson Combat parts.

The buddy that was with me doesn't shoot much and when I showed him the dingers (IDPA size and shape, but steel) at 75 yards, he said there was no way you could consistently hit them with a handgun. After five straight hits in about 10 seconds, he changed his mind.

I've been shooting the H&Ks a lot lately and the G-17 was a surprising treat to shoot, big blocky sights, grip angle and all. I guess that means I had no grip gripes.

The 1911 felt a bit more harsh in recoil and since I use a thumb over thumb safety grip, it wasn't quite as comfortable, but the trigger and accuracy made up for that.

I have to say that I was surprised how much I enjoyed the Glock. I'm not big on Glocks, but not down on them either, but I love Glock triggers. Maybe I should seek some professional counseling. One thing I did notice was the Glock had a bit sharper recoil than the H&Ks. I think it's because the bore centerline on a Glock is relatively low which produces more recoil rearward and less muzzle flip. But when I had my G-21, it was the "softest" recoiling .45 I haver ever shot. The G-17's recoil wasn't necessarily "more" that the H&Ks, but a little different. My G-17 is a Gen 2; anybody got a G-17 gen 3 they'd want to sell? OH MY GOODNESS what have I said! I do need counseling.

The dingers at 75 yards were just as easy to hit with one as the other. I didn't do precision accuracy comparisons but it was clear any of the guns had more than enough accuracy. I wished I'd have taken my Sig 226R now.

Then there's the lucky shot that kinda capped the evening. My buddy set a small steel can (a little larger in diameter than a coke can and about the same height) on top of a five gallon plastic bucket at about 35 yards and almost challenged me to shoot it. I picked up my H&K USP, went to a braced kneeling position and patiently squeezed off a shot. The can toppled! He couldn't believe it - neither could I but I wasn't about to tell him that.

It was a fun evening.

I had a revolver lock up once back when I was in college. It was an extruded primer that locked up against the backplate and it took a gunsmith to fix. That same gun also had a "high spot" on the end of the ejector rod such that at a certain point of the cylinder revolution, it would refuse to open. That mystery took Smith & Wesson to solve.

I too like Glocks, but my new #1 "Baby" is my new H&K USP (fullsize) 45! IIRC the H&K website mentions something about a mechanical system inside the gun itself that acts to reduce recoil. Might that be one reason for the soft kick? They claim it's not ammo dependent. OTOH, in my Glock M21 I had a Haarts Recoil Reducer guide rod and it really did cut felt recoil by 50% which is why I used to shoot IPSC with that gun...before IDPA came along. Too bad Haarts seems to be out of business.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Not dead sure re the Colt - but the two things that certainly come to mind with a Smith, in that situation are - possibility of unburned powder under the star and/or, a slightly unscrewed ejector rod - both can make opening a real struggle.

True too yes - a primer extrusion could do it too - tho that is relatively uncommon.

It goes to prove nonetheless - revo's sure can fail. Mainly it is for different problem categories compared with semi's.

Murphy will always include machinery of any kind in his plans for trouble!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    the P2000 wasn't locking back on the last round with the only magazine I had with me.
    this is a common failure with hk. it seems that anytime i hear of an hk failure, its spring related. granted hk failures are few, it just seems that when i do hear of one its spring related like this mainspring failure (half way down the page) to the magazine failings i read abougt over on khpro. hkpro recommends an aftermarket magazine spring replacement, but i dont recall which one.

I have to say that I was surprised how much I enjoyed the Glock. I'm not big on Glocks
    i was also very surprised at how much im enjoying my glock.

One thing I did notice was the Glock had a bit sharper recoil than the H&Ks
    the hk has a "recoil reduction system" which basically consists of an additional recoil spring. its very effective, and enables you to fire ".45 super" (.45 magnum) ammunition without modifying anything.

Senior Moderator
    The extended primer is a good thought, but the cylinder was not locked and could rotate freely. You could pull the trigger and dry fire the gun. Everything worked there.

The cylinder release just simply would not pull rearward to release the cylinder - I never saw anything like it. An extended primer, powder under the star and/or, a slightly unscrewed ejector rod wouldn't allow the cylinder to turn would it???

Wait, do you pull or push a Colt cylinder release to release the cylinder?

Cool Cylinder Releases...

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    The extended primer is a good thought, but the cylinder was not locked and could rotate freely. You could pull the trigger and dry fire the gun. Everything worked there.

The cylinder release just simply would not pull rearward to release the cylinder - I never saw anything like it. An extended primer, powder under the star and/or, a slightly unscrewed ejector rod wouldn't allow the cylinder to turn would it???

Wait, do you pull or push a Colt cylinder release to release the cylinder?
    You're correct, all of the stated situations would stop a cylinder from moving. IIRC the Colt is a "pull" the S&W is a "push" and the Ruger is a "push" but more of a button "inward" rather than "forward."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Colt is a pull back.

Smith and Wesson is a push forward.

Ruger is more like a button.

That's a bummer about the Cobra.

Senior Moderator
    One more piece of the puzzle, if I may. The gun had been "stored" for quite a while. Rust build up on some internals?

Possible. I like Colt revolvers as much as the next guy, but in a lot of ways they're almost delicate next to Ruger or Smith and Wesson, even from similar eras, in terms of sheer mechanical ruggedness. Part of it was that they were made in a time where all these high pressure loads weren't even thought of, and part of it is that they're unique in their design and operation. Speaking of Colts I need to make some calls this afternoon.

Sponsored Links