Children & Shooting

Children & Shooting

This is a discussion on Children & Shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw a small hot pink .22 the other day at Dick's sporting goods store. I'd like to get it for my daughter. Does anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Children & Shooting

I saw a small hot pink .22 the other day at Dick's sporting goods store. I'd like to get it for my daughter. Does anyone have something like this, I'm not sure what make it was? What age did your kids start shooting with you?

JD
    Administrator
    They're called "Crickets" My son is only 2 months old but I plan on starting him around 5-6ish as that's about when I started shooting.

Yep. My daughter got her Cricket at age 7. Unfortunately it's a hand-me-down from a cousin and has a plain wood stock. She's seen the pink one and wants it so badly she can't stand it!

They're great little gun with which to begin firearms familiarization, safety, and training.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Moderator
    I plan on starting my son with his on BB gun between 6-8 and if he shows that he can be responsible then he can get his own .22 or shotgun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Same with my boys.....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    JD,
    I thought you bought a pink Cricket for one of your SHTF guns!

I've only been shooting for about 3 years. Since I started I began bringing my sons. At the time they were 7 and 9. They started with a BB (rifle) and then began shooting a Ruger MK II. I just purchased my first 22 rifle and plan on allowing them both to shoot it.

My daughter is only 6 and has not started yet, but I am planning on introducing her to the range somewhere between 8 and 10 years old. It will depend on her.

I'll be stopping by my local Dicks' to pickup one or two tomorrow.
    They are on sale for just $99 and are perfect for training of children and adult beginners. Single shot, no magazines to lose or break, and available in pink which my 6yr. old daughter is going to LOVE!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

BJC
    My son will turn 2 in April. He already has a shotgun, the shotgun my Dad bought for me when I was 6, but I plan on getting him a .22 cricket for his first gun. That is, after the Red Ryder of course!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    JD,
    I thought you bought a pink Cricket for one of your SHTF guns!
    I only have two .22 rifles, an old Stevens model 56, and a 1961 Belgian Browning Semi-Auto 22 that I bought for Speedloader to learn on.

I started mine very young.

Here he is learning about what was hanging on his swing set! (Mother was not pleased but decided swingset was better than liveoak in front yard!)

Here he is shooting for the first time

Fruits of the labor

We have a lot of fun hunting, fishing and shooting now! Here is this years hunt.

I started my daughter with a small BB gun at 5 and she is now 8 and has moved up to a Red Ryder. (A pink one of course)

She is still not disciplined enough to handle a .22 in my critical opinion, but evry kid is different and you won't know until you put one in their hand and see how they handle it safety wise.

My daughter is a good shot and is learning the basic skills with the BB gun that will tranfer to everything else when she is ready, but I will not put a gun in her hand capable of readily kiling someone or at the least causing severe bodily injury, until she is at the highest level of gun handling safety. She aint there yet.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

DCT
    Back in December Dick's had a sale on the Rossi matched Pair. It's a Youth sized .22LR and comes with a .22 barrel and either a .410 or .20 GA that can be interchanged in less than a minute. $90 after rebate and my 10 year old daughter was thrilled to get a Pink rifle! Both have taken to shooting right away and loving it. My daughter is also doing quite well with my Sig Mosquito .. 8 year old son is a bit more cautious and the 4 year old ... just a bit to immature at this stage without me holding it with him.

Talking I started my kids shooting at the age of 5

and never regretted it, the youngest is now 22. All I can say is make it a family day at the range, and any single shot .22 what ever you may chose will make a great first gun, they are intrinsically the most safe gun to learn with, and they will learn to make that single shot count.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links