Help me with "certification".

This is a discussion on Help me with "certification". within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mods - please move if in the wrong forum. Ok, I realize this could go all over the map. I would like to get certified. ...

Thread: Help me with "certification".

Distinguished Member

Help me with "certification".

Mods - please move if in the wrong forum.
    Ok, I realize this could go all over the map. I would like to get certified. Certified for what? I don't know. I'm thinking, down the road, I would like to be a firearm instructor.
    1.What does NRA certification mean?
    2.Are there different levels?
    3.What about IDPA? Do they have some type of certification?
    4. Is there such a thing as a national certification - like when you get EMT certification?
    5. Is there a link that would show the different types of firearm certifications offered?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

I can only answer about being an NRA instructor as I am one in Personal Protection and Pistol Safety. What it means is you teach an NRA developed and certified course in whatever discipline you are qualified for. You've taken the training they offer. Organizations like the NRA have credibility in the area of firearms so people taking training from them receive a higher degree of education for their money and are more confident about spending their money with you. Just go to the NRA website and check out their course offerings. It is like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. You can take "Fred's Gun Safety Course" but who is Fred and how do we know he knows anything about gun safety? Take the course from me and I may not be much better but I have the backing of a nationally known reputable organization, the NRA. Chances are my course will be better.

NRA Basic Firearm Training
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I assume that you are looking for credentials to entice people to take lessons from you.

The NRA certification is definitely the place to start.

If what you want to do is teach basic stuff, then that's all you really need.

Beyond that, take classes from big name guys like Farnum, Front Site, Thunder Range, LFI, etc. That will add credentials to your resume.

I think the main advantage of the NRA certification is that you can reach people who wouldn't even consider taking a class from "one of those gun nut mercenary types".

I have quite a few students who started just wanting to learn how to target shoot and didn't believe in guns for self defense but ultimately had a change of opinion after shooting a while.

They would never have begun if they couldn't work with an "NRA Certified Instructor".

The NRA stuff is all I really teach. As far as the advanced stuff, I'm a confirmed student!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    This link may prove helpful. Become an NRA Certified Instructor
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Sir,
    I just took my NRA Instructor's Course and am waiting on the paperwork now; I've been looking for local certified instructors for some of the other classes (Rifle, Shotgun, and Personal Protection Outside of the Home). It looks like we'll have to get a group together for most of these so let me know if you're interested.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Id love to become an instructor. For the mere ability to be able to better inform people about firearm safety, I think it would be worth the time and effort.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    1.What does NRA certification mean? Not much. It means you took a weekend long course and paid out a few dollars. However, it is an excellent place to start building your resume.
    2.Are there different levels? Not really, there are certain creds I look for, and others I just laugh at and shrug off. Mostly, the name of the game is different course offered by different agency's as well as professional work and real world experience.
    3.What about IDPA? Do they have some type of certification?
    I dont know, but I doubt it.
    4. Is there such a thing as a national certification - like when you get EMT certification? NRA is good in every state, however, its best to get state specific certs for all the legal mumbo jumbo.
    5. Is there a link that would show the different types of firearm certifications offered? Dont know. If there is, I'm sure someone else will post it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I'm thinking, down the road, I would like to be a firearm instructor.
    Most of the states are requiring specific NRA certs or Police Firearm Instructor certs to be an Instructor. If you aren't a cop, then the NRA is about the only way to go.

First you must do the NRA Instructor Development course. Then you can take the Instructor courses for the others.Most will accept Personal Protection in the Home, or Personal Protection Outside the Home and/or Pistol. Other states, like my own, require NRA Range Safety Officer also.Some states will require several courses, others require less. The training takes a lot of time and commitment. A lot of people would like to be instructors but when they find out how long it takes to get it all together a whole lot of them seem to lose interest in the process.

Because most states have specific guidelines and most of them are NRA sanctioned, all of the advanced courses that you take with the big names wont do you much good except to look good on the wall and impress your students.

We have to teach a state certified course that is outline by the State Police. You have to be familiar enough with it to take a test and pass with at least 80 percent which is administered by them. After you do that, you are issued a number that you must reference from that day forward. They also require that you teach a minimum amount to stay on the list of certified instructors.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

IDPA has a sort of certification. You can go to a Safety Officer class that will certify you to be an SO at matches. And, as an SO you can run matches in clubs that are affiliated with IDPA. Or, if you don't live near a club that is affiliated, you can start it up and become Match Director at that club.

In order to teach the SO class you have to get your Safety Officer Instructor (SOI) certification. You have to be recommended for those from, I believe, the area coordinator to take that class.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Distinguished Member
    Wow. Excellent, gentlemen, excellent. Though a civilian, I am on terminal leave. Next stop is retirement (ugh), post graduate work (double ugh), another career. But that will not happen till late summer. I would like to knock off some courses pronto. Will keep you posted. "A1C" SSGT Lickey, back at Luke? Quite a shift from The Big Freeze Up North.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Links