Gun Buy Back Programs

This is a discussion on Gun Buy Back Programs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Minneapolis buy-back aims to reduce gun violence Organizers hope to get about 200 handguns off the streets during a two-day buy-back program. Project Cease fire, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Buy Back Programs

Thumbs down Gun Buy Back Programs

"Minneapolis buy-back aims to reduce gun violence
    Organizers hope to get about 200 handguns off the streets during a two-day buy-back program.

Project Cease fire, what a waist of time and money. Project Cease Fire is one of those feel good programs that yield no results when it comes to fighting crime or violence because they are misdirected. The reality is that the few guns typically collected are junk and only worth scrap value. Believe me MS13, the Bloods, the Crips, the Vice Lords and other street thugs are not lining up to turn in their weapons.
    The problem is that these well meaning people direct their efforts toward "gun violence", not violence; toward "gun crime", not crime and criminals. They vilify guns as if they are the cause of crime, not the criminal using a gun in a violent manner. Remove criminals from our streets and you will remove illegally owned guns at the same time as well as reduce violence.

I agree with Mr. Price, an organizer of the buy back, when he says that, "we're up against a huge culture, where violent behavior is glorified through movies, TV, video games and music". He looses me when he says, "we need to go after the weapons". No, we need to go after the criminals Mr. Price!
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

hey why dont ya run down and see if ya can pick something up for a good deal

Assistant Administrator
    These efforts are always totally pathetic ''feelgood'' PR excercises and nothing else. What a joke!

Of course - any atom of logical thought tells rational folks that any hand-ins sure as hell ain't gonna be made by crooks - stands to reason - or could people be so nieve?

Add to that this crass and favorite statement about''getting guns off the streets'' - what a total crock. I really, really, and seriously - would like to hear a coherent explanation as to just how this improves anything - tho I guess, stretching things to a limit - just maybe grandpa's old beat up rifle may not be stolen and used for crime.

Sad thing is - there will probably be many (voters unfortunately) who will see this as a wonderful thing, all helping to beat the gun violence.

Only temptation I might have is to go get max money for a POS old Ivor Johnson - towards something better LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Next time there's one in the philly area i'm there. I'll give the owners double what the organizers will.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The Saint Louis City Police Chief finally admitted that the gun "buy backs" don't work!

We have been telling them that for years.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

My dad saves junkers for these. Friends of the NRA orgs basically stopped most of the buy back programs in Phx, by bringing lots of junk broken worthless stuff.
    If it is legal I am all for buying the guns in line.
    The only caveate Would be someone trying to dump a murder weapon at one of those No questions asked type of buy backs.
    simplyrugged.com

Get Trained Go Armed.

“Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”
    Winston Churchill

So some gang banger buys a gun on the street for $50. Uses it, and sells it back for $100. Such a deal.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy
    So some gang banger buys a gun on the street for $50. Uses it, and sells it back for $100. Such a deal.
    Yeah. That's what you really call "Government Assistance"
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Would be a hoot if a few FFLs went to the event, and offered everybody, who brings down a weapon, to buy it from them, making sure the legit guns go to law abiding people, and the other ones <the junkers> go to the "cause" <choking on that as I type>
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Would be a hoot if a few FFLs went to the event, and offered everybody, who brings down a weapon, to buy it from them, making sure the legit guns go to law abiding people, and the other ones <the junkers> go to the "cause" <choking on that as I type>

All FFL's have to do is advertise in the local newspaper their own buy back programs.
    Its 100% legal, at least on the federal level. YSMV
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Lead Moderator
    I had an old .22 "Saturday night special" that I bought in the 60's for shooting "snake shot" through I was always tempted to sell to one of those buy-backs. I think it cost me $15 in 1966!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    lol I have a couple of craptastic pieces I would gladly take $100 for.
    I would then take the mone down the street to a local gun shop and put it toward something useful. :)

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Good idea and give to all legit buyers at cost LOL
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    There was a gun buy-back program in Broward County not too long ago and an old lady from a retirement home dropped off what she tought was an old gun junket that her deceased husband brought from Japan after WWII. One of the cops was a gun buff and recognized the gun as a weird test model of japanese handgun (I want to say Nambu, but I am not even 50% sure) used for pressure test before production. She had given the gun away for some pittance but the cop actually returned the gun and told her she could get good money for it.

Just imagine how many valuable guns have gone to the smelter with this stupid program.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I remember that story Miggy, seems it was worth low 5 figures!
    Hey, I've got a .22LR Davis Derringer I'd sell for $100, it's all beat to crap and hasn't worked in years. C'mon, the rosewood grips were pretty! LOL
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links