Any type burglar alarms that sound like gun shots?

This is a discussion on Any type burglar alarms that sound like gun shots? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking, in light of VA case law and the recent Ryan Frederick murder case (illegal to shoot through a door, must ID threat), ...

Thread: Any type burglar alarms that sound like gun shots?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

I was thinking, in light of VA case law and the recent Ryan Frederick murder case (illegal to shoot through a door, must ID threat), do any alarm companies have an audible response that sounds like gun fire? Seems that would be a great way to run off the critters before they get inside.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Good point. I have to look in to that. I just put in a wireless alarm system over Christmas break and it has an outlet connection for an external siren which I didn't get chance to install yet. Man if I could find something that sounds like a gun shot, that would be the cat's meow. Off to Google I go.

You could look into buying or loading blanks. Just don't mix them up with your real ammo.

The sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round is pretty good attention getter and provides a good cause to leave upon hearing.

Don't know of any off hand but I'm actually thinking of the possibilities of the pump shotgun as a doorbell...
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. I can just picture the bg thinking hes getting shot at and firing off a couple rounds in defense. I think a regular might be a better idea.

tjm
    I am in the process of updating my system. Now you've got me thinking. A nice, loud, audio playback of a round being chambered into my 12 gauge might be a nice addition to the the pre-alarm. (Inside only, not through the outdoor speakers.) Or we could do several of them and play back the appropriate one based on the zone in alarm - "chachunk, it's the back door, he's mine!"

(This is 90% caffeine inspired humor and not meant to be taken seriously.)

Interesting idea. It'd probably sound like gunfire on a TV though, unless you had a rig that would fire some actual blanks. Wouldn't be very hard to cobble together...

This thread reminds of a trick I played on my dad when I was in high school. He spent a couple tours in vietnam and loud noises, thunder, and fireworks always sent him diving for cover. HE also woke up VERY, VERY early for some reason. Well, after he went to bed one night I set up a motion detector and a recording of machine gun fire in his office. His reaction was loud enough to wake me up. That and went he knocked my door open cursing at me. We were always playing tricks on each other, but that might have been over the line. Sorry, dad.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Here it is! Shotgun Alarm Signal

Administrator
    I think its a goofy idea. I do remember a friend growing up that had a warning on their alarm system, the warning was a recording of a big dog barking. It sounded real.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Many new alarm systems have blank disk space for a custom recording so you can make your own sounds. Or probably upload them from a laptop at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think its a goofy idea. I do remember a friend growing up that had a warning on their alarm system, the warning was a recording of a big dog barking. It sounded real.
    Much better idea, IMHO. Sound of gunshots--to be realistic enough to fool anyone--would potentially result in real return fire. Not a good result. The sound of a big-azz dog on the other side of the door, however, could be very dissuasive...

With this "Swatting" internet crap going on where some kid in a different state calls 911 from a computer and reports a vicious crime in progress at your house, an alarm like that could result in several hundred rounds of incoming! Here's an example: Malicious 911 lies sic SWAT teams on innocent strangers | ajc.com

Administrator
    I don't think it would be such a keen idea. Vicious Large Dogs barking would probably be lots better.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links