Post Photos of Your Distressed Firearms Here

This is a discussion on Post Photos of Your Distressed Firearms Here within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sad ain't it? I love .38 Special revolvers of all shapes, sizes, and ages however this one is pretty much an eyesore with it's original ...

Sad ain't it?

I love .38 Special revolvers of all shapes, sizes, and ages however this one is pretty much an eyesore with it's original nickel finish hanging in shreds. It'll never be a stand-out in a collection It is old however; 105 years old this year. It's a Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector Military & Police .38 Special with a 5-inch barrel

Smith & Wesson has been making these since the year 1899. They only came in the round butt style until 1905. Now they're designated as the Model 10. The really early ones are not commonly seen though this particular one will never be worth much because of its bedraggled condition. Despite its appearance it could certainly stand duty for home defense if required.

Actually it is still a serviceable revolver. Despite the rough exterior finish the bore is surprisingly bright and unblemished, an amazing thing when considering the corrosive priming that ALL ammunition featured in its day. This gun was already 23 years old when Remington introduced the first noncorrosive priming in 1927 under the "Kleanbore" designation. It also possesses the finest, properly timed action of any Smith & Wesson revolver that I have and end shake is nonexistent. It's a shame that time and neglect marred it's finish. Oh well, some of it's early internal features are interesting and I'll give it a retirement home with occasional careful exercise.

Perhaps there's other forum members who have guns old or new that aren't much to look at but are still in regular use, or at least could serve the purpose if called upon. Anyone else out there want to own up to a few barking dogs in their collections?

Do you think it would cost less to buy a pistol like that in poor condition and pay to have it refinished/repaired or would it cost less to just buy a new one of a similar type?

btw don't mean to hijack the thread...just curious...

I'm generally opposed to throwing good money after bad on a refinish. Perhaps one could come out ahead on some high dollar collectible that has already been poorly redone but retains good metal surfaces. Since Smith & Wesson has cranked out literally millions of these it simply is not worth it in my view.

A new Model 10 could be had for less than the nominal value of this one plus the expense of stripping, polishing, and replating. Also, the new one may be used with all the most effective modern .38 Special ammunition or max hand loads. Any kind of a diet of +P .38 Special ammunition would be harsh on a revolver this old.

Another way to look at it: The person particularly interested in a revolver from this era would be money ahead to pass this one by if he's thinking of purchasing it and refinishing it. He can purchase an original example of a Smith & Wesson revolver from the 1902-1905 era with fine external finish for equal or less than the cost of rehab'ing a doggy example. Buying a $150 gun and spending $400 on it in order to make it a $250 gun out of it isn't a good use of one's funds. Refinished guns have a stigma and won't bring top dollar.

I may not be the person to ask about refinished firearms as I've always been prejudiced against them. I'll look past a slick, shiny, refinished gun to admire a similar model with original finish and with honest wear.

I have no distressed firearms. I don't think I would buy one, and won't let the ones I have get that way.

To each his own though.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Here's a before & after:
    (Old model 94 I picked up next to nothing & after I had it Parkerized. I have just under $400 in it & the refinishing. It's a really rare gun now....How many of you have seen a Parkerized Winchester 94?)
    It's now my truck gun.....
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Wink No Safe Queen Here....S&W Model 10-1

Not much to look at,but a favorite of mine. Bore and cylinders are bright and shine like new. The trigger is smooth and lets off crisp. It fires 158 gr. loads to the point of aim with the accuracy of a target revolver. It has seen a lot of carry and use in the last half century.
    I give it a work out every chance I get.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Goawayfarm; you did a good job with what looks like a mid-1960s Winchester 94 with it's plated receiver which frequently got crusty no matter how one cared for it. The Parkerizing does make a clean rifle that still has excellent utility.

I had an immediate "post-64" Winchester 94 carbine in .30-30 that looked about like the "before" photo you show. I think I gave $60 back in the early 80s due to the rough looking receiver. It sounded like tin cans when it was cycled due to the roll pins holding the lever linkage together too. It'd shoot though and grouped well with hand loads. Wish I'd kept it.

Pistola; apparently you've got a pretty early Heavy Barrel variation of the Model 10. Wonder when it was manufactured. Do you know anything of its history? I'm sure it is very accurate. I'm a true believer. The Model 10 Heavy Barrel is my favorite. I have a plain ol' Model 10-6 from 1971. I bought it used in 1975 and have subjected it to heavy use ever since. It is almost distressed looking because it's still my daily toter and always has been shot a lot.

Smile 4 Screw

No, I'm not exactly sure when it was made or shipped. It is a dash one and a 4 screw,to narrow it down,so that puts it very early in the 1960's. As for the history, I know nothing as I bought it at a gun shop over a year ago. I venture to assume it might have been a duty revolver,because of the finish wear,beat up right side grip,and excelent bore and cylinders.

VIP Member
    This one is not really distressed either. It was built in 1939. The blue is thin all over, but only worn through in a few places. The trigger is as smooth as you could want it and the revolver is very accurate. I guess you could call this one a Pre-10.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

OOOooo...doc; that's nice to see. The lanyard ring is a nice feature too. I love the appearance of the pre-war hammer spur.

BAC
    This, right here, is exactly why I want an old revolver. Bad.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Here is my 2000 SAR-1 dressed as a mid-sixties AKM. It has real Russian wood, sling, p-grip, bake-lite magazine. It has 7 U.S. parts to keep it legal.

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

JD
    Administrator
    This thread makes me want to go buy a beater with some "character"

Here's one that will make you cringe...

I go sour every time I see that scratch, other than that the gun is darn near minty. Still wouldn't give it up for the world though...

Yeah, it has THE scratch but so do a jillion other G. I. .45s. I'd still be willing to good money for that one as it is so nice. I grew up shooting G. I. .45 Autos and they are so reliable and way more accurate than most credit them.

"Here is my 2000 SAR-1 dressed as a mid-sixties AKM."

That is exactly the way I'd like to have one of those done up if I acquired one, Gun Bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    "Here is my 2000 SAR-1 dressed as a mid-sixties AKM."

That is exactly the way I'd like to have one of those done up if I acquired one, Gun Bunny.
    I love it, it was real hard to get all the real Russian goodies for it. I took about 3yrs to get everything(6yrs ago) and sad to say the Russian stuff is worth more than the rifle it's self!

Here was my AK-74 that I let go 4yrs ago! I did get good money for it, but I now regret selling.
    Yes, with real Russian goodies!
    Last edited by Gun Bunny; February 13th, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Links