1911 carry

This is a discussion on 1911 carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What else is there to carry?...

View Poll Results: Do you trust 1911's for SD carry?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I carry a 1911 24/7

168 89.84%
  • No I don't trust them for SD carry

19 10.16%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1911 carry

What else is there to carry?
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

2. Remove Ads

+1
    1911 has been my primary/daily carry since 2000. No problems yet.

edit:
    My daily carry is a Kimber Pro-Carry II
    My "old faithful" is a Colt MarkIV Series 70. I'll trust the reliability of this pistol over any firearm I've ever owned to date and probably ever will. It's flawless.
    The only problems ever encountered with it which caused failures:
    1. The original 25 year old(approx) springs finally just gave up the ghost. This was within the first month of ownership and I was not the first owner. I subsequently replaced all the springs, slide stop, etc.. and have never had a problem with the pistol itself since.
    2. Fubar Magazines - in other words, not a failure of the pistol.
    Last edited by packinnova; February 8th, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    This thread is pretty much based on a totally false premise that has been made by two "gun experts" who obviously have no idea what words are exiting from their respective mouths.

AKA ~ "They went on to tell me you shouldn't carry a 1911 they are not reliable and you can't count on them to work when you need them."

Sorry....BUT, you are totally incorrect you two "armchair gun experts at the range" - the Colt 1911 has been heralded for a full century as being one of the most reliable and least problematic semi-automatic handguns that has ever been manufactured as well as being one that will continue to function in the worst possible conditions & environments.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I have a Sig 1911 RCS that I carry often. Normally I carry a CZ P-06. It's not a trust issue with the 1911. I just prefer having 25 rounds available to me when I carry the gun and 1 spare mag, versus having 15 rounds when I carry the 1911 plus 1 spare mag.

I didn't vote since the choice are too limited. As myself and others have said, it's not a trust thing.
    Last edited by archer51; February 8th, 2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added thought

C: I'd trust a good 1911 but I think there are better choices out there.

I didn't vote on this one, although my favorite CCW is my 1911A. I just don't carry it 24/7!!! When I go to bed it is on my night stand, closest to me, and just a few inches away from my light, and shorty!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

You like yours, it works for you, doesn't matter what other opinions are. I've tried a bunch of different weapons. Some better, some worse, I keep coming back to something I'm comfortable with(1911), heavier than some more hi-tech guns, but I shoot it much more consistently. Feels good in my hand.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    This thread is pretty much based on a totally false premise that has been made by two "gun experts" who obviously have no idea what words are exiting from their respective mouths.

AKA ~ "They went on to tell me you shouldn't carry a 1911 they are not reliable and you can't count on them to work when you need them."

Sorry....BUT, you are totally incorrect you two "armchair gun experts at the range" - the Colt 1911 has been heralded for a full century as being one of the most reliable and least problematic semi-automatic handguns that has ever been manufactured as well as being one that will continue to function in the worst possible conditions & environments.
    Amen, sing it out loud brother.

Do you trust 1911's for SD carry?
    For 30 years.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Update

This is just like a good soap!

I went back out to the range today and guess what?
    One of the guys were out there and he was shooting a brand new Taurus PT 1911!!!!!
    I looked at him and smiled he just laughed said Don't say a [Edited] word.

SO I didn't but he had a much better shoot today!

Funny I thought.
    I shot his PT1911 it felt pretty good I wouldn't be interested in one but not bad. Pretty accurate at 7 yards.
    He took a few shots with my Springer and the kimber he said I gotta me one of these (Kimber)
    Looks like I got the 1911 bug to catch him!
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 8th, 2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

Yes I trust my 1911's for self defense but I also carry my Sig P220 when I want to change things up.I use the same type of holster for both(Versa MaxII)and also place it in the same spot(4:30).1911's RULE
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I carry a S&W 1911 and literally stake my life on it. I have never had any problems with it not going bang when I pull the trigger. As far as carrying it 24/7, my wife won't let me wear it in bed.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have one 1911 I just don't use it as a carry pistol that often because it's too
    heavy for me !

VIP Member
    1911s have gotten a bum deal for a variety of reasons....some even justified.

Remember when the US military adopted the Beretta? One of the reasons was that the current 1911s in the military's possession were worn out from years & years & years & years of service. I know the ones we used were old & rattled when you would shake them....however, they went BANG EVERYTIME! (maybe not very accurate, but that was due to wear.) That was one reason Beretta's replaced the 1911. (Isn't is ironic that some units are now using 1911s again!)

Another thing that gives 1911s a bad rep, is the shooter's desire to have 'custom' tuning, 'custom' parts & 'custom' finishes. In some cases a LOT of work needed to be done to make them reliable & accurate. (I guilty of this....I have a bunch of 1911s & the ones I carry have ALL had extensive work done to them....to make them 'perfect'...at least for me.) It's just like buying a pickup truck....some guys want to add high performance goodies or bits of chrome....just so that it makes it 'better' or 'faster'.

A further headache for 1911s, are bad magazines. I've seen a lot of people that blamed the 1911, when the problem was a defective magazine.

As far as reliability of 1911s, there are a lot of worse guns out of the box.....I don't trust ANY gun until it has proved itself by functioning for me! I like the ability of the 1911 platform to be improved upon, if you desire. You can do so much more, as far as customizing & tuning, than any other handgun platform. It's just like the 'evil black rifle'.....you can have it any way you want it!

I guarantee the 1911 will be with us for a long, long, long time to come.....(If BO & his crew of antis, don't force-ably take them.)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I used to, back when I first got my CCL. However, I looked for another gun for EDC as the 1911 was an heirloom, and I couldn't bear having it taken away...

With that said, I'd love to have a 1911 for EDC, again. 1911's have always felt comfortable in my hand(s) - more so than other guns, even. I even think I shoot better with them. [snicker] However, I don't know where to start, and until I can take even MORE time to research all the makers and models, I'll make due with my revolver.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a 1911 I would trust for CCW, but I don't because of the weight.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links