First Time Ever!

This is a discussion on First Time Ever! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a new Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro last weekend. My husband took me to the range today for my first time ever shooting a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Ever!

First Time Ever!

I got a new Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro last weekend. My husband took me to the range today for my first time ever shooting a handgun. To be honest I was very nervous and when we got there it was busy. I watched people shooting through the windows as he waited in line to get our lane. A Woman I was watching turned from the shooting lane with blood running down her hand and I was about to change my mind. I did talk to her later and she said she had got her hand to high on the grips and the slide bit her. She was ok but didn’t shoot any more today. Husband calmly took me aside and told me I would be ok, just to remember the things he had showed me and to use the proper grip. So we get our earmuffs and safety glasses on and enter the range. Wow it was loud even with the ear protection. The first magazine didn’t go so well, several misses and then mostly low right hits. After adjusting my stance and my bifocals it started getting better. Also discovered the gun won’t jump out of my hand, smack me in the forehead, or burn me with the flying casings. That helped calm me down a lot, I thought it would be a lot worse than it really is. Recoil also was a lot less than I expected. After my first 100 rounds I am hitting closer to the center, still get a few flying left or right but not as many, and looking forward to more practice. The gun functioned perfectly. He never told me it was this much fun! Here are a couple pics.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    looks like good shooting your first time out. I have the PT140 (.40 cal version of yours) and I love it too! Good luck next time out!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Good shooting, especially for your first time. It is fun and I hope it's not your last time.
    Nothing more fun for me than seeing other ladies at the range, You Go Girl
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Nice job of shooting and overcoming nerves. That can be a hard thing to do but it looks like you did well.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Very good for first time out,glad to here you enjoyed yourself. You may have just been bitten by ''the bug''. My wife is getting her permit and I will be teaching her to shoot, I can only hope she does as well as you... She has been out shooting with me before but I only taught her safety at first, now it's going to be covering safety and defensive shooting.
    Have fun..., it should be fun as well as educational and sharing the fun with your spouse is even better.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Nothing like putting holes where you want them to make you fall in love with shooting.

Good job and Congrats on a new hobby.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Good shooting Mata Hari and welcome to the world of guns. Nice to see you on the forum.

Very nice shooting! Congratulations on your positive experience.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

No worries :)
    We all were a little scared on our first trip to the range (whether we admit it or not). Welcome to the sheepdog mentality!
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Way to go overcoming your nerves and having fun doing so.

I took my wife to the range for the first time a few months ago. When we first stepped into the range (indoor range here in Phoenix) someone near us was shooting a .357. She almost jumped out of her skin! She got it together though and put some rounds downrange. Now she's absolutely hooked (and it really good with her .380, too!).

Good on you for getting out there and overcoming your fears. Now the problem you'll end up having to overcome is that you'll want to go to the range all the time; ammo gets expensive! :)

God bless and good shooting!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Lead Moderator
    Good shooting alright. Glad to hear you didn't give up and got to try it out first hand. Looks like you are doing very well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OUTSTANDING!! Your husband is a lucky man. Enjoy and be safe.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Kudos...

Rick

Administrator
    Looking at yer target...you got that bad guy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Nice shooting for the first time out. My wife had never shot a handgun before we met, now if I mention going shooting, she beats me to the car!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links