Gun ownership "Down Under"

This is a discussion on Gun ownership "Down Under" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I copied this post from a motorcycle forum I belong to. A thread started about requirements for purchasing a handgun for different states here in ...

Thread: Gun ownership "Down Under"

I copied this post from a motorcycle forum I belong to. A thread started about requirements for purchasing a handgun for different states here in the US.
    A member from Australia jumped in with the requirements there:

Hah! You guys have nothing to worry about...

Down here it works like this (last time I checked...)

* Decide what pistol you want to buy. Go find out the price. Now go home.

* Join a pistol club...you can't apply for a pistol licence if you aren't a member of the club...but you still won;t own your own pistol yet...be patient.

* IF you already have a gun license, you must apply for a "permit to acquire" another firearm...then fill out the paperwork proving WHY you need it and the nice bureaucrat will decide if you need it or not. (This is for both pistols and rifles). The pistol can't be over .38 caliber or 9mm, and can't have a barrel shorter than 4" (or it might be 4.5"...could have changed). Pistols with larger calibers were banned a few years back...no Colt .45 for me in the future, as much as I'd love one...

* After the waiting period, which can be long, you will receive word about whether you are allowed to buy a pistol.

* Now you can hand over your money. Then take the pistol directly home in a locked box locked in the boot of your car.

* Now the fun starts...you have to have a safe for the pistol in the house, and the pistol and the ammo MUST be stored separately. If the police do a random inspection for compliance with storage requirements and find the thing not stored correctly, it;s a big big fine, confiscation of your guns, and a long wait to get them all back...if at all...

* Now you must attend a certain number of shoots each year at your club...records are kept and passed on, and if you don't, you lose your license...see what happens in the paragraph above...

* You can only transport your pistol to and from the gun range directly, locked in a steel box fixed to the floor of your vehicle...somehow...

* No plinking or target shooting or hunting with the pistol outside the range...no going off into the bush for the day with your son to knock off some tin cans, or once again, you lose your license and guns...and a fine...

* ...and don't even dream about being able to get a "concealed carry" license...they simply don't exist in Australia for the ordinary citizen, no way, no how, never ever, will you be able to strap on a piece, openly or concealed, and walk around in public...well...you probably can, but then you'll be surrounded rather quickly by nice special police officers in black uniforms and showing you their nice MP5's...

* Interestingly, replica pistols are treated almost as badly as real guns under the law...

So no more whinging about how hard you guys have it...
    Just be thankful in most places you can have the freedom of choice...
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

In Tx we buy and walk out the same day with our gun and as long as we show our CHL license they don't have to run the background check.It should be the same way in all 50 states.After living in States that I have freedom I would never live in a state that restricts me.The problem is until the internet came around a lot of people thought the way the were governed by laws and firearm possession was the norm in the rest of the states
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If the Australians were as vigilant as we are, they wouldn't be posting on forums like that.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Tx we buy and walk out the same day with our gun and as long as we show our CHL license they don't have to run the background check.It should be the same way in all 50 states.After living in States that I have freedom I would never live in a state that restricts me.The problem is until the internet came around a lot of people thought the way the were governed by laws and firearm possession was the norm in the rest of the states

When I was in Arizona, it was the same way. Even if you didn't have a CCW, the background check took only about 20 min. Either way, you'd walk out with your new gun the same day.

Here in Michigan, I suppose it's possible. You need to go to the police to get a purchase permit, then you can go and get the gun.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Links