Life expectancy of magazine?

This is a discussion on Life expectancy of magazine? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's the life expectancy of a mag? I have a .40 mag that has been fully loaded for 8 years. Emptied out when firing, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life expectancy of magazine?

What's the life expectancy of a mag? I have a .40 mag that has been fully loaded for 8 years. Emptied out when firing, but full 99.99% of it's life. It's much looser than the new one I just bought and it is starting to not feed the last 2-3 rounds causing jams.

Any fix to this or do I just need to toss it?

Thnaks for any help. I did a search but did not find anything.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    If the mag body, follower, and floorplate are still good (which they probably are), buy some new springs and it should be good as new. Wolf springs (I think it is?) sells them, along with other companies.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    If the mag body, follower, and floorplate are still good (which they probably are), buy some new springs and it should be good as new. Wolf springs (I think it is?) sells them, along with other companies.
    What he said! New springs are pretty inexpensive and a piece of cake to change. Wolff Gunsprings Manufactures springs for modern and vintage firearms, guns, hammer, pistols, handguns, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, semiautomatic, accessories, weapons, law enforcement, hunting, shooting, recoil, colt, mainsprings, magazines, IPSC

Thnaks guys.
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

BAC
    I doubt it's the springs, and I'd be more inclined to check for feed lip spread. What kind of magazine is it?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I doubt it's the springs, and I'd be more inclined to check for feed lip spread. What kind of magazine is it?

-B
    It's a Taurus .40 mag. The springs are quite a bit looser than on the new one I have. It feeds fine until the last 2-3 rounds. That's when it fails to feed fully and the weapon jams. Does not happen with the new mag.

Senior Moderator
    It's the spring, it's worn out , but some new ones. They are cheap enough that you can buy a spare
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

sounds to me that it is definatley the springs. If you replace the springs and it still happens then I would just toss that mag and buy another new one
    Sig P220R .45ACP
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Rem 870 12ga.
    Bushmaster M-4 .223/5.56
    HK P2000 9mm
    Glock 31 .357

-B
    For a mag that is used a fair amount the springs should all be replaced at least once every two years. I do mine annually.

The chances of a tube or follower problem compared to a spring problem as very slim.

BAC
    Well, that's what's confusing me. I'm reading it as the mag was left sitting full for X years, which wouldn't do anything to the springs (or shouldn't, for properly made springs). If it was used, then yeah, I'd agree that it sounds like a spring issue. The original post doesn't make it sound like it's been used a whole lot. Taurus mags use metal feed lips, so it's still worth inspecting to make sure they're fine.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Thanks guys. I will try the springs, if that does not work, I'll get a new mag. Thanks for all your help.

I have one magazine for my 1911 that was my fathers and, I would guess, was purchased sometime during the 50’s. I still use it occasionally and it works fine. This particular magazine still has the original spring in it.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Well, that's what's confusing me. I'm reading it as the mag was left sitting full for X years, which wouldn't do anything to the springs (or shouldn't, for properly made springs). If it was used, then yeah, I'd agree that it sounds like a spring issue. The original post doesn't make it sound like it's been used a whole lot. Taurus mags use metal feed lips, so it's still worth inspecting to make sure they're fine.

-B

I understood it as he uses it for regular range use, but keeps it loaded all the time also. My mags are the same way...my carry mags are always loaded, but get used weekly.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I understood it as he uses it for regular range use, but keeps it loaded all the time also. My mags are the same way...my carry mags are always loaded, but get used weekly.

That is what I meant. Loaded 24/7 for 8 years, only emptied when shooting and them reloaded immediately.

I have a Sig P226 for over 15 years, upteen thousands of rounds
    same original 3 mags, never changed a spring.
    but I clean and lube them every three or four trips to the range.
    Is that typical? I dont know know, I'm working with a glock 23 now
    we will see.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links