Draw and fire

This is a discussion on Draw and fire within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a day off and it has been warm for a few days here in NE Ohio so I decided to head out to ...

Thread: Draw and fire

Draw and fire

I had a day off and it has been warm for a few days here in NE Ohio so I decided to head out to the backyard range armed with 200 rounds of wwb and all my holsters for my EDC Glock 23. I have practiced my draw before and am pretty quick. I also get out to the range as often as I can. I set up a around 30 feet and put 13 rounds in a decent group. Now for the hard part. I holstered my Glock and practiced drawing and firing. As this was the first time I practiced drawing and firing I saw my groups getting bigger (all still within an 8 in. paper plate). My drill was as follows. Draw and double tap, lower weapon to low ready then, bring it up for a follow up shot. After running this drill with the rest of my 200 rounds I did get better but still not where I would like to be. This drill was a rude awakening to me so treat this as a P.S.A. practice your draw and fire whenever possible!

P.S. after my range secession i held all my targets up to my torso...I still would have inflicted heavy damage to a B.G. but I will be running this drill a lot more.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Great drill and great shooting. Just remember when weapon is in "low ready" to scan. Get in the habit of scanning. First the 45 degrees off of either side of your target and your shoulder then 90 degrees between your strong hand and the target and then the 90 degrees between your weak hand and your target and finally behind each of your shoulders. Get in this habit, because scanning prevents tunnel vision, and more than likely if you are attacked by one there will be two and you definitely want to see him too.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

We were taught...From the holster, two shots center mass in under 2 seconds, scan, then two shots to the head if needed.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I used a range that allowed me to draw and fire from concealment because I took a tactical class there. Excellent practice and like you my groups were bigger than I wanted. But I will give up grouping size to have three rapid shots into the meat of the BG. I don't ever want to miss, but I also don't want to be second to the punch. Two or three good shots mid torso with a followup head shot, with combat accuracy not target shooting accuracy, is what I look for. Better grouping will come with practice. I practiced on their timed range and got the first shot off in less than 1.2 seconds with the last one being around 1.5 seconds out of three shots. My reflexes just aren't better than that unfortunately.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

I just joined a group of guys that shoot IDPA and USPSA matches about once a month. Might be something to look into its great training to shoot under some stress as well as IDPA you draw from concealment.

I like your target practice idea.

At ATTACT today we practice drawing and firing two rounds in COM from 15 feet out to 45 feet 100 rounds each.

Normally we like to set up three half silhouette targets, at 15 yards.

A person will say left, center or right, and click the stop watch. You have three seconds, to draw and shoot the target they say first, then the other two. All hits must be in the com to count.

To jazz it up some, we sometime, shot the first target twice then the other two. Still within the three second time.
    Last edited by tns0038; February 10th, 2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: missing somthing

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have always thought the teaching to fire two shots, and then go to low ready position to scan was foolish. I will be able to see if he is down or disabled without going to a low ready. I understand the current teaching is to keep shooting until he is down. That is the wise choice in my view.
    I do agree one needs to try to determine if there are additional BGs, but if my target is still standing with a gun he gets more shots.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    sounds like fun shooting, my buddies and me go to our local range an1 shoots at a time. one other verbalizes when the target is down. It's good practice because you don't know how many shots it will take to down them. Try it sometime.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I have always thought the teaching to fire two shots, and then go to low ready position to scan was foolish. I will be able to see if he is down or disabled without going to a low ready. I understand the current teaching is to keep shooting until he is down. That is the wise choice in my view.
    I do agree one needs to try to determine if there are additional BGs, but if my target is still standing with a gun he gets more shots.

Regards,
    Jerry
    excellent point about not going to the low ready. In the Marine Corps we are taught to scan with our rifles up after firing. This should be no differet for a civillian armed with a handgun. Since one should always be aware of his target and what is beyond it, I see no reason to lower a weapon until the threat is undeniably over.
    FEG PJK 9HP 9mm
    Yugo 59/66 7.62 x 39mm
    4" S&W 686+ .357 magnum
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18mm(currently in need of new slide)
    Madsen m48 .30-06

VIP Member
    Just a thought... maybe add some dry fire practice at home. You would be amazed how much it helps.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I agree with the others who are cautioning against automatically going to low-ready after two shots. Doing so means you're forming a habit that may work against you if you find yourself in a situation where more shots are necessary. Change it up...fire 2 one time, 4 the next, 7 the next time, etc. Don't allow yourself to get too "set" on one response.

Then, of course: assess the target, scan 360*, and top off your weapon.

Also, remember: "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." If your accuracy is suffering, it's a sign that you need to slow down a little.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

thank you all for the good advice.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Just a thought... maybe add some dry fire practice at home. You would be amazed how much it helps.
    +1
    10 minutes, 3 times a week makes a world of difference. IMHO.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I have a shooting friend that is a Doctor(GUN NUT)We shoot at least 2 hours shooting everything from 22 to 45 ACP,we use a timer and shoot timed hostage etc. to practice shooting under stress.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links