Castle Doctrine vs Make My Day

This is a discussion on Castle Doctrine vs Make My Day within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been hearing the term "Make My Day law" a lot recently. My understanding is that it's basically the same as the Castle Doctrine, is ...

Thread: Castle Doctrine vs Make My Day

I've been hearing the term "Make My Day law" a lot recently. My understanding is that it's basically the same as the Castle Doctrine, is that correct?

It seems to me that calling it the "Make My Day" law makes it sound rather vigilante-ish, which makes using that terminology not in our best interest, I think. I much prefer the term "Castle Doctrine", as it describes the law's purpose a lot more accurately.

What do you all think?

BAC
    That was why the term "Make my day law" was invented: to make it sound vigilante-ish.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltz View Post
    I've been hearing the term "Make My Day law" a lot recently. My understanding is that it's basically the same as the Castle Doctrine, is that correct?

It seems to me that calling it the "Make My Day" law makes it sound rather vigilante-ish, which makes using that terminology not in our best interest, I think. I much prefer the term "Castle Doctrine", as it describes the law's purpose a lot more accurately.

What do you all think?
    If you Google it...you will find out the history of "Make my day".

Rick

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    My understanding of Make My Day law had to do with removing your obligation to flee before fighting back. This would pertain to you standing in the street, at the corner convenient store, whatever. I thought that Castle Doctrine was the same thing regarding to having to flee or not but was specifically about your home.

Maybe I'm wrong here.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    My understanding of Make My Day law had to do with removing your obligation to flee before fighting back. This would pertain to you standing in the street, at the corner convenient store, whatever. I thought that Castle Doctrine was the same thing regarding to having to flee or not but was specifically about your home.

Maybe I'm wrong here.
    That's my understanding also...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I agree.

I think that particular terminology hurts, by painting us in the light of people who would enjoy having the opportunity to shoot a BG.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

A Castle law only removes the duty to retreat in one's home (i.e. a man's home is his castle)

A "Make My Day law" (which I agree is an atrocious and biased term for it) removes the duty to retreat in any place you are legally

VIP Member
    Make My Day is a derogatory name assigned to what is known as the Extension of the Castle Doctrine just like Assault Weapon, Saturday Night Specials guns and Cop Killer Bullets are used in their respective niches.

The Extension of the Castle Doctrine simply states that you do not have a duty to retreat from any premise or any place where you legally have the right to be in order to defend yourself. It applies in most states to CCWers due to the fact that most states require you to have a permit to carry concealed outside your home (Note: I am not up to date on Open Carry so feel free to correct me there)
    In Florida (Please check your state's local law) not only eliminates the duty to retreat and curbs any left leaning political seeking prosecutor from bringing charges and take you to court but also protects you from the criminal or the criminal's family to sue you in civil court.

Now it is important to understand 2 things: You must have a CCW and you must be in a place where you have the right to be with a concealed weapon. Any violation of the law will invalidate the application of the Extension of the Castle Doctrine. If you have a CCW but are carrying in a bar where Florida Law says you can't carry and have to use your sidearm to defend yourself, you are in for a world of legal hurt. If you are at the local Barnes & Noble sipping a espresso and munching on a sconce but do not have a CCW and some nutjob comes in shooting and you use your sidearm, you will be in another world of legal hurt.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Sponsored Links