Lakewood CO gun shop got robbed last night.

This is a discussion on Lakewood CO gun shop got robbed last night. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got a call from my buddy on this. Nothing in the news this morning that I have been able to find yet. This ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakewood CO gun shop got robbed last night.

I just got a call from my buddy on this. Nothing in the news this morning that I have been able to find yet.

This shop is a small one that is about 2 miles from my house. We were in there last night just before closing picking out a Mosin Nagant for my buddy.

This morning since my buddy did not have to go to work today, he swung by there to pick up his rifle since the shop was closing and the background had not been run yet. When he rolled up in the parking lot, the front windows were covered in plywood. Shop owner opens the door at 10 and tells him the story.

About 1:45am someone(s) backed up between the awning poles and rammed through the front window. Made off with a bunch of guns (no details yet). Never had any problems before, same location for 20 years, right on a main street through the city. Ballsy move.

That I know of, he had at least 20 various evil black guns, and 40 or so handguns. I have no idea how they are stored during off hours.

I have a Dr. appointment today, I will swing by there to get some details on my way.

This is going to hurt him, It is just a small shop. No inventory, going to be a while getting the insurance to cover the loss, plus the time to get new inventory in. Never mind I am sure his rates are going to go up now.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I just got a call from my buddy on this. Nothing in the news this morning that I have been able to find yet.

This shop is a small one that is about 2 miles from my house. We were in there last night just before closing picking out a Mosin Nagant for my buddy.

This morning since my buddy did not have to go to work today, he swung by there to pick up his rifle since the shop was closing and the background had not been run yet. When he rolled up in the parking lot, the front windows were covered in plywood. Shop owner opens the door at 10 and tells him the story.

About 1:45am someone(s) backed up between the awning poles and rammed through the front window. Made off with a bunch of guns (no details yet). Never had any problems before, same location for 20 years, right on a main street through the city. Ballsy move.

That I know of, he had at least 20 various evil black guns, and 40 or so handguns. I have no idea how they are stored during off hours.

I have a Dr. appointment today, I will swing by there to get some details on my way.

This is going to hurt him, It is just a small shop. No inventory, going to be a while getting the insurance to cover the loss, plus the time to get new inventory in. Never mind I am sure his rates are going to go up now.
    Most shops leave their guns out and count on their alarm systems/bars on windows to keep em safe.A lot more criminals are stealing vehicles they use to crash thru store fronts and then grab the loot,they are usually in and out in less than a couple minutes.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This kind of thing makes me mad at the gun shop. Owners need to secure the guns in a QUALITY safe after hours. This type of stuff is what leads to the saying see if guns were illegal they wouldn't be on the street(even though we know better)!
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Crazy

How hard would it be to run some serious cables through the trigger gaurds of each group of guns and lock em to the wall. Dick's does this. It would slow them down enough for the police to arrive when the alarm goes off. Pistols can be safed overnight. I believe my gun store does this. They have a huge vault that you can see from the shop floor.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    ... It would slow them down enough for the police to arrive when the alarm goes off...
    Yeah, about the police...

The put the "Alarm" on a low priority call. This is the same department that will not respond to a home alarm call - READ [alarm company X] calls the police to report a burglar alarm at a residence - broken window, door breech...they will not respond to it.

Seems to me a gun shop alarm goes off, you respond, ASAP. Regardless if it is a false alarm, you do not risk it.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

1. It was a burglary, not a robbery.

2. Businesses who leave out expensive inventory and who don't have crash pylons to prevent these types of burglaries are extremely naive. It isn't as if this is a new type of method used to break into businesses.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Sticks... Was this G&G?

If it is, did he get cleaned out entirely?

Yes... lakewood is the police force that as a matter of policy doesn't respond to burglar alarms (unless specific conditions exist). I discovered that the hard way -- but fortunately didn't lose anything as a result of their non-response.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Most shops leave their guns out and count on their alarm systems/bars on windows to keep em safe.A lot more criminals are stealing vehicles they use to crash thru store fronts and then grab the loot,they are usually in and out in less than a couple minutes.

This happened to one of the shops I used to go to in PHX when I lived there. Stolen car, front of store totally smashed...people are getting far more daring in their robberies.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

My PD responds to alarm calls as soon as they can be gotten to, but if the local gun stores' alarms go off everybody and their brother responds immediately since they have quality alarms that rarely have false alarms. We actually caught a group of 4 Bloods gang members (14-18 years old) in their attempt to force the front door of one of the gun shops and they got locked away for a long time. Just before this, they were getting more gutsy and bold towards officers and other citizens.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

Sponsor
    This kind of thing makes me mad at the gun shop. Owners need to secure the guns in a QUALITY safe after hours.

I disagree. We had 50 guns on the walls, and 80-100 guns in the glass cases. At one time, we put them all away every night, it took over an hour for three guys to stack em in the safes and for the pistols to be put in baskets.

The guns get scratched up and marred from doing this, the store owner lost money all the time selling new guns at discounts because of the marks on the finishes.

It's a PITA to deal with the customers who then have attitudes about a new gun that looks like it's been handled day in and day out. You can't have it both ways-moving guns in and out of safes and baskets is going to scratch the guns at one time or another.

Handling marks happen enough with customers fondling them day in and day out, couple that with being moved into and out of safes every day, you get the idea.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    This happened to one of the shops I used to go to in PHX when I lived there. Stolen car, front of store totally smashed...people are getting far more daring in their robberies.
    As noted above, such tactics are NOT robberies. They are burglaries. As for being more daring, no really. This is a practice that has been going on for decades. It was more than a quarter century ago that we installed crash pylons in front of our shops and that was AFTER it had been going on for some time.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Black PR - Yup, G&G.

I did not make it by there yesterday, running late, and had to go pick up the CFO at the airport after. I will be going by today.

The shop has reinforced steel bars in the window, and a magnetic lock on the door, but that only does so much. Rental unit in a small strip mall, probably can not install pylons due to landlord.

Remember, every thing you do is just a deterrent. Locks, bars, chains/cables, safes, pylons... Just a deterrent. If the BG is motivated they will find a way.

A two person crew can still bypass the pylons using a heavy motorcycle. I would not want to be the rider, but it would work. There are lots of other ways to get around the pylons, just need more people to do the job quickly.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Black PR - Yup, G&G.

I did not make it by there yesterday, running late, and had to go pick up the CFO at the airport after. I will be going by today.
    I may go by there today... very close to my home. He's a really good guy, and I like him. You know, everyone who goes into a gun-store wants to talk guns and lots of guys, I imagine, are sick to death of customers wanting to blab about guns -- some of our local gunshops are staffed with people who don't want to be bothered. But the owner of this place is just a really good guy and will chat with anyone.

I'm shocked at the lack of anything in local media.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Well I made it by there. Looks like it was a semi pro job. Backed a truck into the door jamb and blew the frame and mag lock apart.

"Undisclosed" number of guns taken, but from what I could see, only a few of the rifles (evil black ones) and, I am only guessing here from what I remembered he had, 20 or so handguns. They left the used ones and small caliber ones. They hit every case and "cherry picked".

10 minuets they were in there.

At this time of night that street is still busy, and there are always LEO's running up and down the street.

Not sure if the cameras got anything to ID the guys that did this. He has a pretty good camera system.

Shame you can't install tear gas claymores for this type of thing. Sure the shop may stink for a while, but you won't get burglarized.

Shop owner is annoyed, but due to the support that he is getting from his friends and regulars, his hopes are up. He is staying open (the place does look like it got shut down).

He has not left the shop since it happened, and only got about 4 hours of sleep. He has had volunteers rotating in and out during the night to help keep an eye on the place and so he can get some rest.

The landlord will not let him install pylons, but is considering the concrete barrier wall camouflaged as a flower bed. Either way the front window (was 20'x7') is going to be rebuilt to about a 4' high base with the steel security bars embedded in the wall, and I am sure there will be a super duty thick steel door installed instead of the heavy duty one he had.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links