New Toy, Hi-Power practical

This is a discussion on New Toy, Hi-Power practical within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had a new toy awaiting my return home. I had agreed to buy this Hi-Power Practical in 9mm before I went away, it's is in ...

Thread: New Toy, Hi-Power practical

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

Had a new toy awaiting my return home.

I had agreed to buy this Hi-Power Practical in 9mm before I went away, it's is in excellent shape with very few rounds down the barrel and Pachmayer grips on it. I prefer Hogues, but will try these grips out first. Haven't had it out to the range yet, but will report back when I do. Need to get more mags for it now. The holster shown is for a 1911 Commander but it fits the HP nicely with a few turns on the tension screw. DO NOT try to use a Serpa Holster for the 1911 on the HP, it will jam up. So I will have to find a another holster for it to use in IPSC or other.

I have always had a soft spot for the HP as these were our issue pistols in the army. Although ours were all made in the 40's by Inglis for the Chinese, never delivered. To bad the practical does not have the slot for the shoulder stock.......hmmmmm

I certainly wished I could have carried this on my trip.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Congrats! The Practical Hi-Power is an awesome shooter...I'm pretty sure mine is the most accurate pistola in my collection.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

That's a good lookin' blaster...I've always wanted a Hi-Power
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I have a Practical in .40 that I'm setting up to be my EDC off duty. I just put a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips on it last night and will dial them in at the Range on Monday.

I love the Hi Power and the more I learn about it, the more I realize what geniuses John Moses Browning and Dieudonne Saive were. It was way ahead of it's time.

Congrats on your new Practical. I think you've made an excellent choice. As far as the grips, until I put the laser grips on, all I did was take the rubber backstrap off the Pac's, as they had a tendency to "catch" the cover garment.

Biker

I keep reading this thread as Hi-Point practical, and i'm like UGH! why would u buy a hi-point!!! :D

I sure do like your new pistol! Hi-Powers are great!

Well I got out to shoot this pistol. Took a it of time to get used to the gun. Put 150rds of homebrew 124gr FMJ through it without a hiccup. At 7 yards this gun will put a whole mag into the same hole fairly easily. (We were doing the dot torture drills) However next day when I went to clean it, I found that the extension on the righthand side of the safety had broken off. A look under a magnifing glass indicated a bad forging or cast at the break. The gun was never dropped, spent all it's time in a holster, locked carrying case. Not highly impressed with Browning right now and I suspect that I will have to deal with their dealer here that is not well regarded for customer service. The gun still works fine.

Big HP fan here & never heard of that.

Some good advice would be to ask the advice of Stephen A. Camp (one of the BHP experts). He's a great guy, personal and you'll find him all over the net. The information he's given me over the past few years has been priceless.
    I too have the Practical but in .40....(over 2.5k rounds with out a problem).

He's one of the moderators of the high road.
    THR
    also check out Hi Powers and Handguns

Despite the minor set back, you still made a great choice.

I know everybody's seen it before, but here's mine

Last edited by bluez4u; February 22nd, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: change
    Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

That's a cool gun. Congrats!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by bluez4u View Post
    Big HP fan here & never heard of that.

Some good advice would be to ask the advice of Stephen A. Camp (one of the BHP experts). He's a great guy, personal and you'll find him all over the net. The information he's given me over the past few years has been priceless.
    I too have the Practical but in .40....(over 2.5k rounds with out a problem).

He's one of the moderators of the high road.
    THR
    also check out Hi Powers and Handguns

Despite the minor set back, you still made a great choice.

I know everybody's seen it before, but here's mine

Thanks for the link, been there. The HP is the first pistol I used, mind you they were Mk 1's and II's made by Inglis. The safety on mine busted right where the finger grooves start where it thins out to go pass the step in the frame. Looking at the metal at the break, i can see corrison, which leads me to believe it was a flaw in the casting/forging process. I got the gun slightly used but I inspected it and saw nothing and don't have any blame for the previous owner. It's just one of those things. Sadly the dealer here in Canada has a rep for being one of the worst in the nation.

Congratulations. Nice looking gun.

Congrats, gotta love the hi-powers.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Links