Sig P556 vs. Kel-Tec PLR-16

This is a discussion on Sig P556 vs. Kel-Tec PLR-16 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently have a Kel-Tec PLR-16. I have been VERY impressed by this "little" gun and wouldn't hesitate recommending it. Still, the other day I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sig P556 vs. Kel-Tec PLR-16

Sig P556 vs. Kel-Tec PLR-16

I currently have a Kel-Tec PLR-16. I have been VERY impressed by this "little" gun and wouldn't hesitate recommending it. Still, the other day I saw a Sig P-556 and couldn't help but notice how similar it is to the PLR both in looks and function. Both guns are AR/AK hybreds using the AR bolt system but an AK style gas piston. I also noticed the Sig was selling for $1,600+ while my fully tricked out PLR was less than $700.

My thought is that either gun would make a very good home defense weapon, which is why I originally got a PLR several years ago. Both guns are portable and relatively light (neither gun has a shoulder stock while the PLR has a 9" barrel vs. the Sig's 10" and they're still legally considered pistols... at least for now) and they have enough "punch" to stop an intruder. Both guns can carry a lot of ammo as well since you can use relatively inexpensive 20 and 30 round AR mags in either gun. As home defense weapons, both seem to be right up the alley for many people. Also, due to their design they seem to be less prone to some of the problems AR's have due to the direct gas system they use and are more compact than AR based pistols for the same reason. My base PLR-16 was $475 and with all the factory accessories (fore end w/rail, muzzle brake, single point sling, etc) and a K-T soft case ran about $650. I already had a half dozen AR mags and several laser sights and lights so I didn't buy more. Finally, I can get two (maybe even three) PLR's or one PLR and LOTS of ammo and accessories for the price of one P556.

My PLR-16 is reliable, simple to care for and more than accurate enough for it's intended purpose. I can hit soda cans easily at 75 yds offhand, it fires everything I've put in it and it uses standard AR .223/5.56 magazines plus anything that can be put on an accessory rail. OTOH, there is still the old saying "You get what you pay for" and my question is just how good is the P556? How reliable are they, how user friendly is the P556, how easy are they to maintain and get parts for if necessary, are they even available in most locations? It doesn't matter how good a gun is or what it costs if you can't get one!

Anyway, I'm getting a pretty nice tax refund and I'm looking to stimulate the economy by buying a new gun with some of it. Has anyone here had experience with both (or either) guns and do you think paying $1,000 more for the 556 is worth the MAJOR difference in price? Aside from bragging rights (it IS a SIG), would it be money better spent on a "low end" PLR or go for the high end Sig?
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

I got my PLR-16 a few weeks ago, tricked it out with all of the goodies, and I'm very happy with it. The SIG is nice, after all it is a SIG, but is it another $1000 nice? Not for me. I can buy alot of ammo with that $1000 and spend the time I'd be sitting at home fondling the empty SIG shooting my PLR instead!

Administrator
    Comparing the two guns that amount to little more than a cool toy, I'd stick with the KelTec. Sure, the Sig is built with a little more quality and is slightly sexier, I couldnt justify spending that much more money for a range toy, especially if I already had the PLR that I was happy with.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would not pay 1000 for the diff

now 700 vs 1000..... ok

Pistols

For parts and sevice, you can't beat Kel Tec. If you have a broken part call them and you'll get two or three replacements in the mail the next day.

And if you're considering spending extra money, spent an extra $200 and make an awkward pistol into a useful short barreled rifle.
    jwhite75 likes this.

Personally, the above replies pretty much sum up my feelings about the PLR. Still, the Sig is a nice weapon and I was hoping to hear from a few people who'd shot one just to compare it to the K-T. I asked this same question on the main SIG forum and the only reply I received was the basic "you get what you pay for" answer.

BTW, I personally don't consider either gun a "Range Toy" by any means. Aside from long distance shooting (which to me is anything much beyond 100 yds), they will perform the same roles as an AR or AK and due to their size, can probably do many of them better. Also, in the case of the PLR you have a MUCH less expensive alternative to either an AR or an AK considering the current inflated prices we're seeing for anything that resembles an "assault" style gun. I'm actually surprised the PLR hasn't skyrocketed in price already!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member
    I would only purchase one of these I could get the proper paperwork taken care of to SBR them.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I wish we could put a stock on these, and not deal with the 'SBR' stuff :(

Both are toys. No real use whatsoever. Balistics out of a short barrel .223 are not very impressive since its a velocity dependent caliber.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Hey Bob

Our local boy toy store out in the country on "my side" of the river took a PLR16 in trade last week. Has a somewhat low end red dot scope mounted, and a sticker of $500. It was owned by an older gentleman that fired very few rounds through it and decided he just could not handle it.

If you're interested, pop me a p.m.

surv

Make sure you know the diff between 5.56 and .223 ammo, as far as trying to use either/or in the Keltec, or any rifle labled .223.

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforce...spx?storyid=11

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Make sure you know the diff between 5.56 and .223 ammo, as far as trying to use either/or in the Keltec, or any rifle labled .223.

Winchester Law Enforcement

Dan
    The PLR-16 is chambered for 5.56, I would assume, given the name, the SIG is also.

I'll not argue the "toy" BS, suffice it to say that there are plenty of SBR's chambered for 5.56 in use by LE depts and they are plenty effective. 2600+ fps is nothing to sneeze at.

Administrator
    Me calling it a toy was not meant as a slam... no matter what you use it for, there will be little difference between the two. There is no doubt the Sig is a high quality gun, but I don't think you'll see the diffence given the type of gun and its use.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My fault, I jumped the gun, -so to speak-, I had it in my head that the gun in the op was labled .223 Rem. I meant more to point out that more and more folks are under the impression these two calibers are the same, and that safety and wear is a factor as far as 5.56 into a .223 rifle, and accuracy a consideration in .223 for a 5.55 rifle.

Funny though, in Keltec's site, they often label the SU rifle 5.56, and then in the description below the pic, call it a .223.

dan
    Last edited by jdsumner; February 15th, 2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: poorly worded

No need to SBR these things. A single point sling works just fine to steady the aim, and no stock to get in the way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links