Why does it feel good when someone chooses the same firearm as you do?

This is a discussion on Why does it feel good when someone chooses the same firearm as you do? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a great day at the range today. I took a friend (had never shot a hand gun before). Started out with the AA ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does it feel good when someone chooses the same firearm as you do?

I had a great day at the range today. I took a friend (had never shot a hand gun before). Started out with the AA .22 LR conversion kit a few times. Then he took turns shooting a few other guns the crew brough for him to try out. By the end he still liked my Glock with the kit.

I had some doubts he would like the Glock as much once I put the .357 Sig upper on. Our range time was about up and he shot my brothers Glock 32 (& did well). He then ended with 15 out of my Glock 31. His accuracy was great.

I like to think I'm not being overbearing with advises when someone asks me for suggestions on their first handgun purchase. I always feel a little better when they buy a .38 Spl as their first gun. It is a safe purchase.

However, secretly, I must admit, I get a little rush when they buy a Glock, and even more so when it is a .357 Sig. I don't know why, I'm not a Glock salesman. Why?

I do my best to take them to the range at a time when I know I'll have a few others there willing to let them try a few shots. I do state I prefer Glock, but stress storage and basic firearm safety.

I like to talk guns with people who have owned and have been to the range a few times. However I am very cautious, even a little nervous providing 1st time handgun buyers advise about what gun to buy unless it includes firing a few alternatives.

After our range time my friend and I went out to the shop and he looked at a few guns at the counter (the shop I go to has several rentals on the wall they will let you handle 2 or 3 at a time). While he liked several firarms he had shot and at the counter, once he found out the various prices, he was done (as he though I was trying to show him guns with a better price tag).

The kit + firing the Glock sold itself and the price tag closed the deal. Soon to get a CCW permit. Maybe even a future NRA member.

But what is it about someone going with the same choice you have made for CC? It feels good, but I don't know what to call the feeling.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Most everyone will feel the same. For some reason, we like it when someone makes the same choice that we do. I guess in a way it provides validation that we made the right choice. And if someone makes the decision based on our recommendation, even better.

I always try to help fit the gun to the person as in their expertise and abilities,I go over the pros and cons of different platforms and then in the end let them make their choice
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Im not very experienced when it comes to handguns (or firearms in general) however I still know plenty more than a few friends of mine. They often seek my input when it comes to firearms, and I try to give them the best non-biased information I can. Which often leads to me rambling and confusing the hell out of 'em. LOL Sometimes I wish I were that guy that always says..."just buy a...(insert bias here)... Its the the only thing worthwhile". But I just cant help but to point out the pros and cons about everything.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    As Rene DesCartes said; "I buy HK, therefore I am".

Or something like that.

When my brother was coming back from being deployed, he told me that he wanted to get a new handgun. He was looking at an ultra sized 1911 type. I kept telling him that he needed to get something the size of the Glock 23 due to the fact that I thought it would be a good multi purpose gun. He can shoot it at the range all day, it had double the capacity, he can go to training classes with it, he could shoot IDPA easily with it, and it could still be carried easily. Oh, he also had another older pistol in .40 already. I didn't really care if he got the 23 or not. That was up to him. I just thought that a good multi purpose gun would be the best place to start. After that he could branch out and go larger or smaller or both if he wanted. When he got home, he shot my 23 and really liked it. He now has all 3 sizes, the 27, 23 and 22.

During this whole exchange of information, he kept saying, half jokingly, that I was pushing him to buy Glock. I always insisted that I just thought that he was going a bit too small and should get something that size.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    ....But what is it about someone going with the same choice you have made for CC? It feels good, but I don't know what to call the feeling.
    As mentioned there are probably psychological reasons but, I would not worry most people also feel good when someone mimics their choice; (ah ha) and that may be it like the old addage "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery".
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

BAC
    Validation of a personal choice, mostly. Less often is a genuine concern for another's safety and the belief that the firearm 'they' chose is the most likely to serve them in need (a belief evidenced by your owning of the firearm in question).

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Because I am always right. Just ask my wife.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Validation of a personal choice...

-B
    Exactly, rarely does it matter if that particular choice is the right one for that person or not, but it does feed their ego.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

It does feel good when tey make the same choice and I think it largely because you may feel that your opinion is valued. However, I always realize that choices in handguns are often a very personal and subjective thing and that people will choose what they think is best for them.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

I'm not too particularly partial to it either way, for a lack of better words.

My other hobby that is more active is guitars, and it's much the same deal. I feel like a snob if I tell someone they need to play on this or that, so my general attitude is "use what you like best". If you're looking for a guitar, go to the shop and try one out. If you're looking for a gun, go to a range, rent a few of what you are looking for, and try them out. I enjoy talking about the things I have, but I appreciate most machinery as long as it does what it does well.

That's not to say I don't feel good that I know my choices are liked by others, especially considering that I'm relatively inexperienced and have worked off of opinions and reviews that are as mixed and varying as fingerprints. Plus with that inexperience, I will admit I'm still learning about more different stuff. Just got my first trys on an AK, a 1911, a Hi-Point 4095, and another pistol I can't recall the name of ATM, and the more I try out, the more stuff I'm finding that I like, and the more I find out that I don't.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Im not very experienced when it comes to handguns (or firearms in general) however I still know plenty more than a few friends of mine. They often seek my input when it comes to firearms, and I try to give them the best non-biased information I can. Which often leads to me rambling and confusing the hell out of 'em. LOL Sometimes I wish I were that guy that always says..."just buy a...(insert bias here)... Its the the only thing worthwhile". But I just cant help but to point out the pros and cons about everything.
    I tend to be the same way when it comes to not only guns, but cars and other useful goods. I like and carry a Glock just because it is simple to operate and I know I can replace parts myself. However I am not going to tell others that anything else is inferior as I am open minded to other makes and models. The more makes and models I know about, the better unbiased information I can give to those who are not familiar with firearms. I know how overwhelming it can be when someone walks into a gun store who has never been in one. What works for me may not work for a friend, that is why there are so many different guns.

A buddy of mine bought an XD45 after I did, and it was sweet to have him carrying his as I was carrying mine when we met up for a dinner. I guess I get a sense of belonging when I am around other people that think like I do, same goes for car clubs (yes I love cars too).
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I could recommend my personal favorite handgun, but I usually don't.
    1. it is too big for most people to conceal and carry comfortably.
    2. not everone can shoot it as accurately as I do.

No a GP100 with a 6" barrel isn't the best gun for everybody.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimH58 View Post
    It does feel good when tey make the same choice and I think it largely because you may feel that your opinion is valued. However, I always realize that choices in handguns are often a very personal and subjective thing and that people will choose what they think is best for them.
    I agree. I have a SW9VE I dearly love. Unfortunately, I don't find that many people who own them. When I see a post regarding the SW9VE, I am more than pleased. For me, it just fits

Best!

Craig
    (also in Kentucky)
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links