Thoughts on shooting instruction

This is a discussion on Thoughts on shooting instruction within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got home from a range day with my dad. Both of us are glad we got to go because we both needed the ...

I just got home from a range day with my dad. Both of us are glad we got to go because we both needed the actual trigger time. Two things stood out to me today at the range, though:

1) Poor instructors make poor habits. A woman, obviously new to shooting, and two overbearing male counterparts (I couldn't tell their relationship to her, but it doesn't matter) teaching her to shoot on a compact-sized 1911. No real instruction of how to do more than put a mag in and pull the trigger, and no real helping of any kind (I'd argue against what they did being called 'supervision', to be honest). Also, someone forgot to tell her that a tank-top was not good range attire, so guess who got to do the hot-brass dance?

More importantly, guess who got a good view of the muzzle with the woman's finger still on the trigger? Yeah, she wasn't taught trigger discipline either.

Yeah, that would be me. Standing straight behind her, meaning she swept no less than two other people on the muzzle's way to me. Pucker factor, and I was about this close to smacking the muzzle away since she was that close.

Unfortunately, given the 'personalities' accompanying this woman shooting, and her apparent disinterest in shooting after having hot brass assault her boobs (her words, I swear!), there wasn't much that could be offered to them as help. Busy range means busy range masters means we're on our own for the most part. Bad atmosphere.

2) Attitude matters. Towards the end of our range session, my dad already outside in the viewing area and me just packing up in the shooting lane, a couple to my right was apparently having problems shooting their Glock 27. I didn't notice (was busy shooting then packing) until my dad pointed it out, but the missus was nervous, leaning back instead of forward, had a white-knuckle death grip on the gun, and the "grab-wrist" hold common to new and inexperienced shooters.

I say attitude matters because attitude will determine how receptive you are to information. I offered a couple tips to help her get a better grip, and both her and her husband were both very welcoming of the input. I got to see how she shot, and help show her a better grip, and her shooting improved dramatically. We had to use my dad's Glock 17 as a model for how to hold the weapon properly, and dry-fire a few times, but it worked and the couple was appreciative when we finally parted ways. This definitely made up for the earlier muzzle-sweep of the previous woman.

On a side note, it occurred to me today that I have nothing to help me teach new shooters when the opportunity presents itself. I have my gov't 1911, and that's it. I was lucky that my dad thought to bring out his full-sized Glock so that it could be more easily shown how to grip the weapon instead of trying to do this on a hot 1911 (they retain heat well, who knew?) or on their baby Glock. We also don't have a functioning .22 pistol anymore, now that the Ruger MkII is beyond repair; I'll have to write up an ode to a fine pistol lost.

I think a Glock 19, a few blue-guns (a Beretta, Glock, and 1911 would probably be perfect), and a .22 pistol are definitely good tools to keep on hand in the range bag if for no other reason then to help new shooters out.

Anyway, just some thoughts I had today that I felt like sharing.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

I think the 2 dudes with the compact 1911 were trying to hit on the broad.

I think the full size 1911 is the ideal gun to use to teach new shooters.

I've introduced many people to shooting, a few of them female, and had none of the problems explained above. I think the number one factor is having good shooting habits yourself.
    Free Firearms Classifieds http://www.armslist.com

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've also taken a few females to the range for the first time. I put safety first though, and checked my ego and "machoness" at the door :D The range isn't really a good place to hit on women anyway...people go to shoot, which takes concentration. The last thing they want is distraction.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I certainly agree that the two fellows with that first woman were trying to impress more than teach. The lessons I took from that are 1) prioritize that trauma kit, and 2) check your ego at the door.

Jon, I'm not sure I agree with you about the full-sized 1911 as a teaching gun; it may, or may not be. I simply don't have enough experience in that area to make an accurate judgment (I learned on a Glock 17, and then on a gov't 1911). If I had to guess, I would think having a couple guns (a larger and a smaller one) and their blue-gun counterparts would be ideal. I was thinking while helping the second woman how great it would've been if we'd remembered to bring the Bersa .380, which is a smooth little shooter that's as tame as a .22 but in a size more relevant to a carry pistol. Shame about ammo costs.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I think which pistol is best to learn on has a lot to do with the shooter. I was teaching one of my Marines to shoot pistol. He started out with a 9mm and could hardly get on paper at 7 yards. He asked to try the 1911, and he was getting his rounds on the paper...not on the target really, but at least on paper. He had a bad attitude about learning though, and didn't want to take any of my advice. Oh well...he didn't go shooting with me again.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Links