Walther SP22 M2 Range Report

This is a discussion on Walther SP22 M2 Range Report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As all of you are well aware, the prices of ammo have been sky-rocketing. To cope with this, I've been searching for a .22 pistol. ...

Thread: Walther SP22 M2 Range Report

Walther SP22 M2 Range Report

As all of you are well aware, the prices of ammo have been sky-rocketing. To cope with this, I've been searching for a .22 pistol. I wanted a .22 with a trigger like my combat guns (all striker fired) so that my plinking would also be good practice.

The Walther SP22 is the closest thing I could find to a M&P or XD in a .22 (as they don't make conversions). The SP22 is a single action, hammer fired semi-auto that uses a blow-back action. It has about a five pound trigger, with a travel and reset distance very similiar to a striker fired gun.

This gun has tons of customization options. It can be had in a four or six inch barrel. There are two grip sizes, plus a custom match grip. They make a regular & match grade barrel. The barrel is threaded, so you can add a suppressor. You can also add rails easily to mount scopes & lasers. I got the M2 variant, which has a six inch standard barrel. The front sight post is triangular, with three different widths. You can also adjust the sear engagement position.

Enough about the gun; on to the range.

I took 500 rounds of Remington .22 Thunderbolt with me. They're 40 grain 'high velocity' rounds.

As I mentioned before in my GLOCK Report, it's been awhile since I've shot a gun, and I'm definitely rusty. My groups were terrible. I was shooting a 9" pistol target at fifty feet. I was all over the place on the target. As the day wore on, I was able to get some decent groups in the center rings, but never consistently enough to adjust the sights. 'Course, that's why I got this gun. I can afford to burn 500 rounds every other weekend and keep my skills up. The gun ran flawlessly, though I can't say the same for the ammo. I had several (read seven or eight) rounds fail to fire. Good dimple on the edge of the case, even double struck each one.

I was able to bum so Federal ammo off another guy at the range, and put four rounds into a three inch group. Considering my current level of skill, and the fact that I'd run about 400 rounds already (not to mention about 50 rounds through my GLOCK 36), I'd say the gun is accurate. More regular practice and better ammo will prove this for sure though.

The SP22 is accurate, and it fed, fired and ejected 500 rounds of cheap, inconsistent ammo. It is a great .22 analog to any GLOCK, XD, or M&P.

Now, for the bad. The manual only contains about half of the steps necessary to strip the gun. It only gets you as far as taking the dust cover off. After removing the dust cover, the slide comes off by lifting it up over the breech and sliding forward off the guide rod. That's where I got stuck. The barrel sits in a barrel shroud held on with a nut. Once the shroud is removed, you can slide the barrel back out of the frame. Unfortunately, the rear sight is still attached to the frame, which blocks the barrel. The manual does include an exploded diagram, but it looks like it was printed from a 72 dpi .jpeg. A quick search didn't turn up any better instructions, and Walther doesn't have the manual on their sight for download yet.

I'll figure it out, I just didn't expect to have to detail strip the gun just to do a simple cleaning.

One other negative, the dust cover is aluminum with a rough texture. It shows powder residue, of course, and the texture makes it difficult to wipe clean.

Final thoughts: It's a moderately priced .22 with a lot of customization. It is accurate, and reliable (on first impression). It is a pain in the to clean, and is has for documentation. If I find better documentation, or figure it out for my self, I'll post it here.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    It must just be Walther, I have a G-22 bullpup, and it sucks to clean it.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I had an epiphany on the way to work this morning. It hit me; I knew how to properly clean the SP22 barrel without detail stripping the gun! A bore snake. It was so obvious, I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I can go from breech to muzzle without removing the barrel. Yay! Or so I thought.

I got home with a brand new bore snake in hand. I removed the dust cover and slide. Drop the little brass weight in the breech and.... it stops in the middle of the barrel. I look down the barrel with a light, and I see a bump. Looks like a nasty bit of fouling. Tried to push the weight through with a rod. No luck. Ran a bunch of patches with solvent down the barrel. The obstruction wouldn't move. Hmph. I broke down, and figured out how to remove the barrel. In addition to the above steps, you must remove a roll pin in the grip and take the lower receiver out of the grip. Then, another pin on the back plate (that holds the rear sight). Next, remove the nut on the threaded barrel, remove the barrel shroud and you can slide the barrel out the back of the lower receiver. I figured it was just powder reside built up. Time for the brush. I ran the brush into the barrel where it got stuck right about the place I saw the 'bump'. Lots of pushing and pulling, and the rod came out sans the brush. It had broken off. <lots of foul language here>. I tried a bit of Breakfree and a lot of gentle, then not so gentle tapping and pushing <and enough foul language to make a sailor blush>. Nothing. The brush was stuck fast. After about forty minutes of this, I figure the barrel is done for anyways (I'm already committed to replacing it) and I go for broke. I got a small screwdriver and a hammer, and hammered the brush out. To my surprise, the brush came out with a sizable chunk of LEAD wrapped around it. It was lead fouling, not carbon. I didn't seem to damage the barrel too. The feed ramp is intact, and the barrel is not warped. After proper cleaning with the bore snake, the barrel is shiny, the rifling is clear with no apparent signs of damage.

I'm very lucky I did not have a squib at the range.

So, two lessons learned.
    1. A bore snake makes cleaning the Walther SP22 much easier
    2. The bore snake should be employed at the range after every 100-200 rounds.

Another lesson if I didn't mention it in my first post: .22 Remington Thunderbolt is not very consistent ammo - the dead rounds really bother me. I can deal with wide groups. Not with a round that goes click instead of bang.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Links