FFL out of state sale question.

This is a discussion on FFL out of state sale question. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just moved from FL to WV. I've been here for 90 days. I haven't had the chance to get a WV DL, but I ...

I just moved from FL to WV. I've been here for 90 days. I haven't had the chance to get a WV DL, but I do reside here in WV. I still have my FL license (DL and CCW). If I wanted to sell my handgun to a WV resident, privately. Can I? or If I wanted to sell my gun to an out of state buyer, would a WV FFL dealer ship and process my gun for me, eventhough I have a FL ID?
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

I think you would have to be able to prove you're a resident before a dealer would ship for you and to do that I would bet most would want to see a DL.

As for a private sale, no ID should be necessary, but you'd want to be able to prove you're a resident to cya if something were to happen/go wrong.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    It might be a good idea to get your WV drivers liscense. Most states only give you 30 days to do so.

Are you required to report an address change on your florida CCW,In most states IIRC you have 30 days to change your drivers license once you move.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i ran into the same situation moving from AZ to MI...i had to get a MI ID...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Are you required to report an address change on your florida CCW,In most states IIRC you have 30 days to change your drivers license once you move.
    The only thing keeping me from getting a WV DL is the Vehicle Reg. Costs here in WV. They charge 3% of your car's kelly blue book value. I can't afford to pay $800 to register my car, and then move back to FL next year and have to re-register in FL for another $150.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomHDM View Post
    The only thing keeping me from getting a WV DL is the Vehicle Reg. Costs here in WV. They charge 3% of your car's kelly blue book value. I can't afford to pay $800 to register my car, and then move back to FL next year and have to re-register in FL for another $150.
    What does getting a WV driver's license have to do with vehicle registration? They don't have to match.

As far as your firearms transactions are concerned:

The Code of Federal Regulations definition of a state of residence is the state that you are currently present in with the intent of making a home in that state. So, according to CFR, you ARE a resident of West Virginia.

For the purposes of proving residence to an FFL, that would only apply to purchasing or receiving a firearm from the FFL, NOT in giving that firearm to an FFL for sale, for shipping, or for repair. If you don't need to fill out a 4473 and get a NICS check for the transaction, then you do not need to prove state residency to the FFL. You could, even as a non-resident, take your gun to a gunsmith, have them repair it, and return it to you. They are only required to verify that the gun is returned to the person who turned it in for repair.

Private sales would be OK too. If there is a question about your state residency, there is no minimum ID requirements for a private transaction, so, if it was questioned you could show your lease, utility bills, etc to show residency, if asked.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post

Private sales would be OK too. If there is a question about your state residency, there is no minimum ID requirements for a private transaction, so, if it was questioned you could show your lease, utility bills, etc to show residency, if asked.
    That's not always the case. In Michigan, to purchase a pistol (either privately or from a licensed dealer) you have to first get a "License To Purchase" from your local PD. To get that...you have to show a driver's license with your local address. I'm not sure if WV doesn't require something similar...I'm just saying that Michigan doesn't allow that.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Links