Selling a gun at a Gun Show

This is a discussion on Selling a gun at a Gun Show within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My friend has a S&W M&P9c that he wants to sell / trade in at the next gun show. He is reluctant however because the ...

Thread: Selling a gun at a Gun Show

Selling a gun at a Gun Show

My friend has a S&W M&P9c that he wants to sell / trade in at the next gun show. He is reluctant however because the Gun was purchased from a dealer therefore his name is attached to the gun.

Are there any legal ramifications if the person he sells the gun to uses it in a crime?

Do you think a dealer on scene would perform a Transfer?

Would acquiring the persons Name and Info be enough should something come up later on.

Thanks
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

2. Remove Ads

Well depending on the state he lives in, there is a good chance that the only place his name is tagged with the gun is on the 4473. The form stays with the dealer, there is no national database where the information is complied.

Some dealers at the gunshow might do a transfer for a fee, but the buyer is going to have to pass the NICS check for them.

If he sells the gun to an individual that he doesn't know is forbidded from owning a firearm, I don't think there is any legal ramification for him. He might be well served to have a pen and paper, and have the buyer list his name DL number and sign that he is purchasing the gun with the serial number recorded.

I personally would make sure that a dealer transfer was done if I didn't know the person that was buying the gun. But that is just me.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links