Flinch stories

Flinch stories

This is a discussion on Flinch stories within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay I'm not trying to be mean here but Bruces story made me laugh so I thought I'd make a thread for them. My best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flinch stories

Flinch stories

Okay I'm not trying to be mean here but Bruces story made me laugh so I thought I'd make a thread for them.

My best flinch story, well it's not mine it happened before I was born, was when my father took my mother out to a drainage ditch to help her learn how to shoot better. Anyway, she was shooting a .357 loaded with .38s. She was pretty good actually; he'd set up six cans and she'd knock them back down again.

So he asks her if she wants to try the magnum loads. She says sure I do. He loads it with some .357 cartridges. Understand it's getting to be dusk right about now...

Of course she fires it and there's a 2 foot cone of fire coming out the end and she screams and drops it like it weighs a ton and runs away like someone is chasing her.

Now, on this same outing, my father, once he gets her to calm down and stop yelling at him, takes a model 29 I think it was and decides to show her how manly he is by firing a .44 Magnum.

This was the only time in my father's life he fired a .44 Magnum.

The gun comes straight back up at him and hits him hammer first square in the forehead. I grew up believing that .44 Magnum was the most powerful cartridge ever.

And to this day my mother thinks I am insane for shooting .357 and anything starting with a "4".

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I got a pretty cool visual when reading your story, to funny.

Lead Moderator
    Worst I ever saw, my buddy hands a 12 ga. sigle shot to his then girlfriend to shoot. Shes around 110 lbs and the recoil makes her take about 2 steps back.
    My girlfriend bought a .44 mag. She is about 100 lbs and petite. Brings the Gun up, cocks it. then decides, I should shoot it first. she did shoot it after I showed her the recoil wasn't all that bad.

Funny Euc ..

i don't have a flinch story but more a equipment failure ..

Sighting my remington 700BDL 1 week before deer season 2 days after getting back from have extractor replaced..

Made it though a box of shells and couldn't get Zero to hold.

So few more rounds and i feel something hit me in the back of the Skull and about knock me out ..

Dang scope had come off and brained me broke the weaver mounts.. needs less to say I'm not fond of weaver brand scope mounts.

Lead Moderator
    LOL. Never beeen beaned by a scope. Had plenty of hot brass burn me. Needless to say I don't shoot in sandals.Hmm, maybe I know why P95 wears socks with his sandals.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I know why P95 wears socks with his sandals.

Assistant Administrator
    Holy crap - you demons Sandals work just fine Rocky

I have not had any major flinch episodes - love that tale of Euc's tho LOL. I have tho seen one or two very painful events - tho whether to call 'em flinch or not - more like probably shere incompetence!

Seen a good ''scope in forehead'' done and also a flying 454 - fortunately not mine - as a small girl fired and released it real quick - ouch!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    LOL. Never beeen beaned by a scope. Had plenty of hot brass burn me. Needless to say I don't shoot in sandals.Hmm, maybe I know why P95 wears socks with his sandals.

Well that calls for

Assistant Administrator
    Damn you Bud - I'm gonna sue!!!
    Chris - P95

poor Chris

scope eye!

I was sighting in my shotgun scope from a bench, when I got it. My dad freeked cause of the amount of blood. There was some old timers there who laughed and told him it will heal quickly. Due to the high amount of capularys in the head. It did, ofcorse. I also got a black eye, and a flinch that took awhile to get rid of.
    Although, I did shoot a buck soon after withought flinching.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    We have a drill that we use for shooters that flinch. The instructor will stand to the side of the shooter and work the trigger to show them that the gun will hit where it is aimed if the trigger is pressed correctly.

I had a student that had several problems with 'jerking' the trigger being chief among them.

We were doing the drill, and I was telling him to watch the front sight, and I had my finger on the trigger. I took up the slack in the trigger and reminded him to watch the front sight.

He then flinched so bad that the pistol fired. I kid you not. It was so bad that it scared me.

He's now an unarmed security guard at a local hospital.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I want to make a comment about Chris and his sandals, but I'm flinching from just thinking about it.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Assistant Administrator
    A1C - that's enough young varmint!

I'll have you in the brig before you know it (or whatever the brig is in your line of work!)
    Chris - P95

Kat
    My mom used to tell the story of when her younger brothers would take her small game hunting because they were too young to go out by themselves. After chasing rabbits and squirrels through the woods for half the day, mom asked if she could shoot the 12 gauge, which she had never done before. Her brothers, my uncles, generously instructed her to hold the butt of the gun about an inch from her shoulder. She pulled the trigger and wound up on her backside!

Years latter, she unknowingly got the “last laugh” when the same brothers bought an archery tag for her so she could register one of their deer. When the Game Warden asked how heavy the bow was that she used to shoot the deer, my mom replied with “it wasn’t heavy at all, I could lift it with one hand!”
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links