Decision Time - Rifles

This is a discussion on Decision Time - Rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to purchase a bolt action rifle and a semi-auto (want AR-15 type). I have the opportunity to purchase one at the moment, and ...

View Poll Results: Bolt Action or Semi-Auto (AR-15 type)

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bolt Action

10 20.00%
  • Semi-Auto

38 76.00%
  • Neither/Other

2 4.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision Time - Rifles

Decision Time - Rifles

I'm looking to purchase a bolt action rifle and a semi-auto (want AR-15 type). I have the opportunity to purchase one at the moment, and am having enormous trouble deciding.

Bolt Action: I'm looking to start hunting, and would prefer to use a bolt action for this purpose. Catch is I'm due to transfer this summer and don't know where I'm headed yet, so I'm undecided on caliber. Overall though, I think I will have more day to day (well, month to month) use for the hunting rifle.

Semi-Auto: AR-15 type, primarily for fun, home defense (when I'm lucky enough to live out in the woods) and SHTF. Probably looking in .223/5.56 for ammo costs so I could shoot it more (this is where the fun part comes in). And a friend that's an FFL that can get one at a good price right now, but I have to jump quick.

So, I'm torn. I would probably just go with the bolt action if I were confident that I could still buy an Ar-15 in 12 months...So whay say y'all? Should I jump on the AR now while I still can, or put practicality first and get the bolt action. ??
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd buy the AR, and start saving for a bolt gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Buy the AR. It is more than a "fun" gun. I use it for Fall turkey in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd buy the AR, and start saving for a bolt gun.
    +1

The AR is immediately useful for HD, and may become impossible or prohibitively expensive to acquire in the near future. The bolt action on the other hand, is most useful for hunting (and not so much for HD) and far less likely to become impossible or expensive to acquire anytime soon.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Listen to SIXTO
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Buy the bolt action. AR prices are through the roof right now. I think they will go down soon. I don't see a ban within the next year. Possibly in the next 4, but not within a year. Either way, you could just buy a lower soon instead of the complete rifle. You don't have to prove in any way that you actually did build it up before the ban, and they can't prove that you did not build it up before the ban (if one even happens).
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

get the AR. This may be your last oportunity to get one. The evil sniper rifle you want won't be outlawed till next year.-Jay
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Buy the bolt action. AR prices are through the roof right now. I think they will go down soon. I don't see a ban within the next year. Possibly in the next 4, but not within a year. Either way, you could just buy a lower soon instead of the complete rifle. You don't have to prove in any way that you actually did build it up before the ban, and they can't prove that you did not build it up before the ban (if one even happens).
    This is not a bad idea, but your rolling the dice IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Remington thinks they have the tool to split the difference .... R-25
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Yeah, I looked at the remington, but the bigger calibers aren't as cheap to shoot, hence why I was looking at the .223. And the R-15/25 have inflated price tags, IMO. I'll save the $300-$500 and put it towards ammo a/o the bolt action. =)
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

I'd go with an AR first, before they are unreachable. Then get your bolt action groove on.

I'm looking at a black powder rifle next (.50 Cal version)
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Id get an AR-Type
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    AR available at a good price right now, jump on it. The bolt action will be there long after the AR is not available.
    As far as a bolt action, caliber, hard to beat a 30-06. One of the best all around calibers ever designed.

I would get the bolt action. The prices of the ARs will come down once it becomes apparent that there will not be a ban forthcoming. Also, you will get a lot more practical use from the bolt action although it may not be as satisfying for the machismo.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Correction: Under current regulations you don't have to prove you built it before the ban.

A roll of the dice no matter how you look at it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links