.44 Mag revolver (who besides S&W, Ruger, & Taurus)

This is a discussion on .44 Mag revolver (who besides S&W, Ruger, & Taurus) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm getting closer to buying a 5 inch revolver. I'm leaning toward a S&W. I may just give in and buy (the arguably better) 6 ...

I'm getting closer to buying a 5 inch revolver. I'm leaning toward a S&W. I may just give in and buy (the arguably better) 6 inch (I have seen some great deals used). I'm still a good 6 months off from this purchase (unless I find a used 5 inch S&W I just can't pass up).

I realised today, that I keep going in a circle. S&W, Ruger, & Taurus. Are there other brands to consider?

I have still not desided between .357 Mag & 44 Mag (this is not the primary reason for the post).

I doubt this will ever be a CC firearm. The primary role of the revolver will be for hunting (almost always a back up side arm to a hunting rifle or shot gun). Way down the list, it could serve as a stashed home SD firearm (it will be properly secured).

I would like to purchase a .44 Mag, but need a little more range time to deside, as I flinch just a little with the .44 Mag (and not at all with the .357 Mag). I think I can get this within the comfort zone with a little more practice (lucky for me I know people who own both).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Not sure about the barrel length, but I think Charter has a 44mag.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Unless you are willing to go into the used market, probably not many others make a double-action revolver. There are some single-action revolvers by other companies out there.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

If it were me I would be looking at Dan Wesson also, you will have the benefit of multiple barrel lengths with one gun. I had a .44 mag DW years ago and wish I still did.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If it were me I would be looking at Dan Wesson also, you will have the benefit of multiple barrel lengths with one gun. I had a .44 mag DW years ago and wish I still did.

I've got one and it's a great gun.

I would stop looking and go with the Ruger Redhawk 44 mag in stainless 5.5 inch barrel

Of course a quick price check reveals that the price has gone up about 200 bucks or so since I bought mine a few years ago.

A Ruger lets you have a much wider range of ammo choices than a S&W will allow, especially if your going to be hunting with it.

This isn't really addressing your question, but it is the choice I made when looking at the same choice a few years ago.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Are those still available as new?

If one is willing to look at used revolvers, also check out the Colt Anaconda.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life

If you want a DA, the Colt Anaconda is a nicely made .44. And it's outside your circle. I just haven't found a set of grips I like.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    ...Ruger lets you have a much wider range of ammo choices than a S&W will allow...,
    I did not know this. Can someone explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Unless you are willing to go into the used market, probably not many others make a double-action revolver...
    I should have mention I want to stay under $950 and would want a double-action. Used and under $650 has started to look even better.

...Dan Wesson also, you will have the benefit of multiple barrel lengths with one gun...
    Really interesting idea. I will look into this a little more (I think it would be a a little costly).

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    ...I think Charter has a 44mag.
    I they only have 44 Spls, no 44 Mags.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    ...the Colt Anaconda is a nicely made...
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    ...check out the Colt Anaconda.
    Come to think of it, I have considered Colt. However started to discount them as I figured for the $ I would get more out of the other brands since the Colt is no longer in production (I was also concerned about parts).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Thanis, take a look here.

Dan Wesson Revolvers
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I agree with farronwolf. The Ruger Redhawk is the nices revolver in 44mag for the price. I can find them used for $450-$550 here in Va. I just sold a Redhawk 44 in 7 1/2 inch locally for $500. If you want a 357 go with the GP100 I have two , one in 4 inch and one in 6. They are great guns. They can be had for $350-$450 used. Nice accurate and built like a tank. Think about what you will do with the gun . 357 is fine for SD and the 6 inch barrel is even fine to take average sized deer with no problem. If you will be hiking and might see bear sized animals you should go with the 44. The 357 is a pleasure to shoot especially with the 38 rounds which are cheap and easy to find.
    Glock 32 (357 sig)

Thanis,

The S&W revolver is not built as heavy as a Ruger or some of the other hand cannons. Certain loads, ones with more pressure can possibly blow up a S&W revolver, or cause damage to it, and are not recommended to be shot in those guns. So if your going to be shooting loads on the high pressure side of the scale you might want to skip the S&W. If you plan on just shooting factory or normal pressure ammo, then your good to go with them.

The following is from Buffalo Bore ammo web page.

NEW HEAVY 44 MAGNUM +P+

This new load is designed for only certain revolvers that have the cylinder length to handle it. They are as follows. Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk, Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, "modified" Marlin 1894, Winchester 1894, any rifle with a falling block action and the Handi Rifle.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I fear you will not find an Anaconda for under $650 (or $950) unless the seller has no clue about the current market...but one can always get lucky!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life

Links