Franchi Help

Franchi Help

This is a discussion on Franchi Help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Help me out folks (if you can). I got a Franchi 48 something-or-other a few months ago. It was well-used. I took it out to ...

Thread: Franchi Help

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Franchi Help

Help me out folks (if you can).

I got a Franchi 48 something-or-other a few months ago. It was well-used.

I took it out to the range a couple of times and out in the field a time or two.

I didn't like it...it doesn't shoot as rapidly as I'd like. It also has a tendency to jam, regardless of how you adjust the little dealy on top of the spring (the Franchi-familiar among you know what I am talking about).

So I resolved to rid myself of it.

Problem is, I decided to give it one last chance.

And, you guessed it, I messed that puppy up, but good. I cracked the stock - - big time. I was seeing how fast it could shoot heavy loads. It cracked right up on the thin part of the handle near the receiver. Abuse? Maybe, but a damned gun ought to do, and do, and do, IMHO. I'm hard on equipment, but equipment I put to the test, and which passes, is stuff I freaking cherish.

I'm not crying about breaking it. That's a risk with all equipment, especially the way I handle stuff. It was reasonably forseeable and, to be candid, my own damn fault. I'll take my lumps for that.

What I am worried about it getting that stock fixed or replaced or whatnot so I can rid myself of this albatross. Note - I know I will lose money on it, at least a couple of hundred dollars. That's just how it is, and I can deal with it.

What I want is to restore the doggoned thing to working order and get what I can for it as opposed to have it permanently gathering dust in the netherworld of my gun collection.

I can't find a replacement stock anywhere online. The best I can do is some internet legend about Stoeger or Beretta or whomever is Franchi's latest, greatest importer not being willing to sell stocks to people because they need to be fitted by a 'smith, like at their factory (read: $$$$$$).

Any ideas?
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Lead Moderator
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Rocky:

Great idea! I didn't even think about them (or Brownell's, for that matter).

They're sold out, but I'll keep checking back. Sooner or later they'll have one in....

Thanks!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I might be wrong but I thought the Franchis were made for light loads,either way I had a shotgun once and if you didn't adjust the gas ring for heavy loads and left it on light loads the extra recoil could crack the forearm.which is what I'm assuming happened to yours
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links