.38 +P vs 9mm +P out of a revolver.

This is a discussion on .38 +P vs 9mm +P out of a revolver. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife was looking through (I think) Gun's and Ammo. She noticed the Charter Arms Rimless Revolver (CARR). Her primary carry is a 9mm, but ...

Thread: .38 +P vs 9mm +P out of a revolver.

My wife was looking through (I think) Gun's and Ammo. She noticed the Charter Arms Rimless Revolver (CARR). Her primary carry is a 9mm, but she has wanted a revolver for a while. She is thinking a CARR 9mm (not to be confused with a Karh 9mm) would be a good idea.

I have read that while the power ballistics of the 9mm look good on paper, in real world tests (ballistic gelatin tests and water jugs, etc.) the .38 Spl +P can outperform a 9mm +P. I take that with a grain of salt (as I'm reading the internet vs researching the information). Lets just say they are both effective.

Soo......

Would a 9mm +P lose power out of a revolver and be less effective than a .38 Spl +P revolver?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

How short of a barrel are we talking about here? Snubby?
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    How short of a barrel are we talking about here? Snubby?
    Snubby.
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have also wondered the same thing about rimless acp rounds fired from a revolver platform. Would there be a significant loss of pressure at the cylinder gap for the acp round as compared to a long brass 38 spl?

surv

edit to add: do the SAAMI specs rate these cartridges specifically for the platforms for which they were actually designed, i.e. 9mm in a pistol and 38 spl in revolver?

ok i did some hunting, 9mm will slightly outperform 38spl on paper out of a snub. Its loaded alot hotter then 38 psi wise. They are both very close in terms of balistics, with 38spl being able to push heavier loads.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I once chronographed a certain .45 ACP hand load using a 185 grain bullet in both a Colt Model 1911 with a 5-inch barrel and a Colt Model 1917 with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. The load clocked 995 fps from the 5-inch 1911 and 1045 fps from the 5 1/2-inch Model 1917. Did the extra 1/2 inch more than make up for the barrel/cylinder gap in the revolver? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    ok i did some hunting, 9mm will slightly outperform 38spl on paper out of a snub. Its loaded alot hotter then 38 psi wise. They are both very close in terms of balistics, with 38spl being able to push heavier loads.
    Sincere thanks GotSig?,

So it is a wash. I'll have to go check it out (size wise) before I (she) buys, and I guess they have to come to market (I've been told around $250 to $300).

I'll make her wait a year till I hear a few reviews. She always purchases firearms I would not go with, but I guess that is part of the fun, plus it makes makes the shared collection diverse.
    NRA Member

I have considered buying a 9mm revolver myself and finally decided to go for it when I get my tax return later this week (hopefully). From the research I did, the performance is so close between the 38spl and 9mm rounds that the deciding factors for me involved the gun itself rather then the ammo ballistics. A 9mm round is shorter and lighter than a similarly powered 38spl so it weighs less. Also, the cylinder wouldn't need to be as large with 9mm rds, so that could mean a bit more weight saved. Added together, a revolver chambered for 9mm should weigh noticeably less than a similar revolver in 38spl. That's something to consider, especially for a CC weapon Finally, I like the 9mm round and already have a number of pistols chambered for it. By using the same bullets in a revolver as well as my pistols, I'd only need to stock one caliber.

Now, all I need to do is find a good revolver that's chambered for 9mm and I'll be set to go!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

9mm

When I chronographed my 940 S&W a few years ago, I got better performance from the 9mm 124gr standard and 9mm +P than I did from the 125gr .38+P I compared it to. I used Gold Saber regular and +P 124gr 9 and Federal 125gr JHP+P in .38. I also tried some Cor Bon 90gr (95gr?) JHP+P 9mm and it was hard to extract from the cylinder. Too hot. I believe I will try out a Charter and I'm still on the lookout for a 917 Taurus, and someday a 547 S&W if I win the lottery.

Links