How to Start New Shooter

This is a discussion on How to Start New Shooter within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife is a relatively new shooter. She has fired a few guns before but is largely uncomfortable w/deadly force. I am looking for some ...

Thread: How to Start New Shooter

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

How to Start New Shooter

My wife is a relatively new shooter. She has fired a few guns before but is largely uncomfortable w/deadly force. I am looking for some suggestions on how to get her started on the wonderful world of firearms.

My idea is to borrow my Dad's Ruger Mark II (.22) and let her shoot that for fun at first. Then I will buy her some lessons and let her learn good habits. I figure that by that time she will be hooked and well...

2. Remove Ads

Starting with a .22 is good. You could also think about a .22 rifle in addition to the pistol. Keep to a fairly close range to start, no more than 7 yards.

If your range will allow it, put some clay targets out there as reactive targets, this will give the new shooter instant feedback (and quite a bit of satisfaction).

.22 is a great place to start for a new shooter. A tad quieter, very little recoil, and cheap!

Definitely would see about using a rifle as well. The added stability a rifle has will give her more immediate satisfaction. Reactive targets are a great recommendation.

The other big thing you hit on the nose is to get her lessons. Seldom is it a good idea for one spouse to teach the other. Too much chance for conflict that can stress the marriage.

If you can, have another friend or family member with you to show her the .22 even. Then you can stand on the side and give encouragement the whole time.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

i started my SO with a 9mm. it scared her.

another one with a .45 lol

i have learned to start a shooter. the PROPER way is to make them run about 200 rounds min to get used to recoil (even though its little, it scares ppl since it goes BAM at the same time) and get used to trigger control.

First of all, make sure whoever is teaching her knows what they're doing. Keep it fun, reactive targets are good (balloons, clays, metal silhouettes, Shoot-n-see targets, etc.). Make sure she's wearing plugs and muffs so the noise won't cause her to develop a flinch.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    First of all, make sure whoever is teaching her knows what they're doing. Keep it fun, reactive targets are good (balloons, clays, metal silhouettes, Shoot-n-see targets, etc.). Make sure she's wearing plugs and muffs so the noise won't cause her to develop a flinch.
    balloons sound fun

i have noticed people get bored REAL quick when they are shooting and aren't seeing anything

Balloon Target

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    balloons sound fun
    Balloons sound like a great suggestion for a new shooter. Not to mention that they are very cheap and give the shooter a neat target to shoot at as well.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Balloons sound like a great suggestion for a new shooter. Not to mention that they are very cheap and give the shooter a neat target to shoot at as well.
    yeah, i'm gonna do that next time I go.

put a target behind it though, so you know where their shots are going, so you can critique

start a new shooter with a revolver or pistol or rifle that is EMPTY. Teach them proper etiquette, gun safety, and grip.
    Aiming comes later with live ammo.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

jfl
    I start my students with a S&W .357 6" barrel loaded with .38 midrange wadcutters; doesn't recoil much more than a light .22, and they get confident they can handle a "big" gun with "big" bullets.
    Then I switch to regular .38 ammo and at the end of the second range session, I tell them to try one of the most powerful cartridge the .357.

Up to now I never had a problem with that procedure.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I like the reactive target ideas. Where do you guys usually do that? Out in the country? I live in Southeast Tarrant County, Texas.

NRA First Steps Class. It is a must for the beginner or novice shooter.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links