I Have Failed!!

This is a discussion on I Have Failed!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OH Master Bruce sensei of the slabside, I have failed our order. My son, oh the shame of it, has gone to the dark side. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Have Failed!!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar

I Have Failed!!

OH Master Bruce sensei of the slabside, I have failed our order.
    My son, oh the shame of it, has gone to the dark side.
    He has his heart set on a Glock(I can't hardly type it!) Worse he has asked me to help him find one. He is looking for something in 9mm.
    I don't know(don'twanna either) diddly about them. Help!
    What would be a good Glock starter pistol and what should I expect to pay for a decent used model. Nothing fancy. He is too young to carry, so this one would be a shooter only. The shame, the shame, you try to raise them right and look what happens.http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...l_1/aargh4.gif

2. Remove Ads

G-17 is a fullsize 17 in mag 1 in pipe this is size i prefer used 350+ if you can find one some times you can find them new 489 sometimes.

G-19 is Compact half inch shorter barrel little shorter grip 15 rounds plus one in pipe about same on price.. Look for the newest frame the 3rd gen with finger grooves.

If ya find the newer frames they have all the upgrades and you don't worry about any problems the older style had

Any other questions i'm sure i or someone else can answer

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Thanks Bud, what were some of the problems the older ones had? What should I look out for?

some had trigger up grades .. Some had frame upgrades with rails cracking ..

Not sure what the trigger upgrade was for ..

Also all of the newer glocks had a different angle on the extractors and ejector for a more positive ejection

Lead Moderator
    If I were to buy a Glock(shudder) it woould be a compact. (G19 for 9mm) Small enough to carry, big enough to fight with. At least your son will have lots of holster/ accesory choices.

Assistant Administrator
    I'd be with Rocky here - not yet ''Succumbed'' - but a 19 would be my choice I think tho heck, if I can always find the 226 easy, maybe the 17 would do fine - it's the one I have shot most when borrowing.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If I ever did get a Glock I too would choose the 19. That'll never happen because the XD9 is the same size, and I feel better suited to me personally.

Check out http://www.topglock.com/catalog/pistols_glock.htm I have not ordered a gun from them but I have ordered pieces parts. Check out your local gun shows. There may be a vendor that sell factory recondition at a lesser cost. There is one my area that sells them.

I really like my G21, and just picked up a G30. I am only 5.11, and about 160. Concealing the 21 is not all that hard. The G30 has less of a kick that the G21, with only 3 less rounds, 1 inch shorter barrel, and grip.

I have New York 1 (NY1) triggers in both for some added safety. Just in case the finger get in the trigger guard at the wrong time.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

1952 - 2006
    IF and I do mean IF I were to buy a Glock, it would be the 19. I have had a considerable amount of experience with them as an Instructor for my security dept. When corporate allowed us to be armed they purchased 65 Glock 19's for us. During qualifications I would take 5 of them to the range and put 1200 rounds through each gun in 5 days, without cleaning or oiling them in anyway,

They never failed to go bang.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Administrator

You want a GLOCK that's "Not Too Fancy??"
    Glocks only ever come in one grade of "Never Too Doggone Fancy."

Some extra mags would be a welcome addition.
    I would probably also choose the 19 ~ It's easy to shoot & it's a nice all round handgun that he'll probably hold onto even after he is old enough to discover that SIGs & Colts are better.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty
    OH Master Bruce sensei of the slabside, I have failed our order.
    My son, oh the shame of it, has gone to the dark side.
    He has his heart set on a Glock(I can't hardly type it!) Worse he has asked me to help him find one. He is looking for something in 9mm.
    I don't know(don'twanna either) diddly about them.

The shame, the shame, you try to raise them right and look what happens
    Hmmmm maybe a good beating is in order.?? You could take him out back and whip him till he changes his mind Or you could suggest to him a 9mm in a 1911 platform

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Send him into the night.
    No food, no water.
    Aid him not in his quest.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    You ...that SIGs & Colts are better.
    Well, you've got my attention. Not challenging, just interested in your opinion, why do you think a Sig & Colt is better?

Then, I'd go with the G-17 for the same reason I carry a Sig 226.

There's a lot of Glock bashing, not necessarily here and often in fun, but say what we may, a Glock is really hard to beat. For example, you can get a Glock, G-26, that will readily and comfortably fit in an ankle hoslter, up to a G-34 that's a pretty accurate gun. A Glock is a Glock is a Glock - always same trigger, magazine interchangability among caliber families, i.e. G-17 mags fit the G-26. And the G-18 mags do too. You can get a Glock with or without rails and finger grooves. A Glock trigger is a Glock trigger. It's short stroke, moderate weight, short reset make it easy and fast to shoot. Oh yeah, they're comparatively inexpensive. You can almost buy one and a half Glocks for the price of a Sig or 1911. Or, a Glock and a whole bunch of ammo. Or, night sights and a whole lot of ammo. Or, a Glock and a CT grip.

Sig on the other hand, and XDs, don't really have that breadth. For example, you can get a Sig 226 or 229, but what Sig can you get that fits an ankle holster? Even the 229 is chunky and if you go to a 239 the mags no longer interchange.

Just some observations.
    Last edited by Tangle; February 8th, 2006 at 11:57 AM.

I agree with Tangle on everything he said.

Don't understanding the Glock bashing. I understand comments made in jest, that happens all the time between riders of different brands of motorcycles' and I've also been doing that as long as I have been shooting.

Proud owner of Glock models 23, 26, and 30; also S&W models 637, 60, 640 and 686. Each has its purpose.

Senior Moderator
    As a matter of fact, I may buy a G-17 this afternoon. Why? That's a good question????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links