Lone Wolf or Glock Orig (G22 40 S&W Barrel)?

This is a discussion on Lone Wolf or Glock Orig (G22 40 S&W Barrel)? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for advise. Lone Wolf or Glock Orig in a G22 40 S&W Barrel? I have never heard much bad from 1st hand experience on ...

Looking for advise. Lone Wolf or Glock Orig in a G22 40 S&W Barrel?

I have never heard much bad from 1st hand experience on the Lone Wolf. I have even heard some praise on the tighter dimensions than the original. That if there were any concerns about Glocks and case pressure with their 40 S&W models, the tighter dimensions help the case keep the right size.

Then, a glock certified gun smith told me he would never buy anything other then the Glock orig as the tighter dimensions on the non-factory models are prone to feed problems.

Thank you.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Administrator
    I tend to agree with your smith... but I got to ask, Why do you need a new barrel?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I tend to agree with your smith... but I got to ask, Why do you need a new barrel?
    I'll start with the crazy talk. If times get bad, 40 S&W will be easier to find than .357 Sig. Plus if ammo does become like currency, 40 S&W could trade better then .357 Sig. In addition, I might consider reloading .40 S&W, but I doubt I would risk reloading .357 Sig.

When ammo had a little more availability, it was hard to justify the cost of the barrel. But if I'm going to buy a lot of ammo all at once, given the times, I want it to be a round more common than .357 Sig. The price difference between 1000 rounds of .40 S&W vs .357 Sig justifies the cost of a barrel.

I think the .357 Sig round is GREAT, but the availability of ammo at wall-mart and other retailers of almost all hand gun rounds has pushed forward a decision to purchase a 40 S&W G22 Barrel. I already own a Advantage Arms conversion kit (great purchase), but I feel it is necessary to fire around 30 rounds with a little kick every month (I wish it could go back to weekly range time, but I had to change up to monthly).
    NRA Member

I've always stuck with the original barrels in all of my Glocks. All of mine have been or are 3rd generation Glocks. I've had one small KB in my G17 actually that ruptured the case just in front of the head, burnt my strong hand index finger slightly, and ejected the magazine. The rounds were factory reloads matter of fact......'Enforcer' 9mm 147gr HP's. I figure the current production Glocks in 40 S&W have addressed most of the possible issues seen with some of their predecessors.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I'll start with the crazy talk. If times get bad, 40 S&W will be easier to find than .357 Sig. Plus if ammo does become like currency, 40 S&W could trade better then .357 Sig. In addition, I might consider reloading .40 S&W, but I doubt I would risk reloading .357 Sig.

When ammo had a little more availability, it was hard to justify the cost of the barrel. But if I'm going to buy a lot of ammo all at once, given the times, I want it to be a round more common than .357 Sig. The price difference between 1000 rounds of .40 S&W vs .357 Sig justifies the cost of a barrel.

I think the .357 Sig round is GREAT, but the availability of ammo at wall-mart and other retailers of almost all hand gun rounds has pushed forward a decision to purchase a 40 S&W G22 Barrel. I already own a Advantage Arms conversion kit (great purchase), but I feel it is necessary to fire around 30 rounds with a little kick every month (I wish it could go back to weekly range time, but I had to change up to monthly).
    Oh OK... I didnt pick up on you wanted to switch caliber, I thought you just wanted or needed a new barrel.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Cost-wise, Glock barrels are less expensive. Quality-wise, dunno, but I have yet to find a Glock with a Lonewolf barrel in it.

I spoke with Glock directly. You can interchange the .357 and .40 barrels. I own a .40 and was thinking of doing that myself, but I cannot find .357 ammo anywhere, so I scrapped that idea for now.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I'm starting to lean toward Lone Wolf. Fewer limitations on ammo types. Still hard to go away from factory orig.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Cost-wise, Glock barrels are less expensive. Quality-wise, dunno, but I have yet to find a Glock with a Lonewolf barrel in it.

I spoke with Glock directly. You can interchange the .357 and .40 barrels. I own a .40 and was thinking of doing that myself, but I cannot find .357 ammo anywhere, so I scrapped that idea for now.
    Ya, the 40 S&W to .357 Sig & .357 Sig to 40 S&W for a Glock conversion is as easy as a barrel change.

However I think you are wrong on cost. The Lone Wolf hovers at $100. The best price I have been quoted on the Glock orig is $135 (4 weeks order).
    NRA Member

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    However I think you are wrong on cost. The Lone Wolf hovers at $100. The best price I have been quoted on the Glock orig is $135 (4 weeks order).
    Dang. I am wrong already and we are not even married.

Well, IIRC, when I called Glock directly, they would sell me a barrel for $90. But I am old and feeble with a bad memory. Give them a call and ask.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

in the glock 40 guns the factory barrel is hard to beat for factory ammo. but for reloads and cast lead bullets you need an after market barrel. it should be a barrel that gives better case support over the factory barrel. which brand of after market barrel does not matter, i would get the one with the best case support. you can find a "boat load" of information on this site and others about the glock 40 barrel case support problems.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have a Lone Wolf barrel for my 229 works great. Advantage over the Glock barrel is you can fire lead cast bullets from it, which allows you to claim to your wife that you are "saving money". However if you intend to use it in IPSC, then you should stick to factory parts to keep your gun in the "production" division.

Links