How to shave 1oz off a Stainless 1911?

This is a discussion on How to shave 1oz off a Stainless 1911? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, My g/f has a SIG GSR, 5" 1911 all stainless. With a Wilson Combat ETM in it, it weighs in at 42oz. She ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to shave 1oz off a Stainless 1911?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

How to shave 1oz off a Stainless 1911?

Hi all,

My g/f has a SIG GSR, 5" 1911 all stainless. With a Wilson Combat ETM in it, it weighs in at 42oz. She wants to shoot it at an upcoming major IDPA match, and the division weight limit is 41oz. So, what can we do?

Things I am thinking---lighter grips (what's the slimmest, lightest you can get?); replace some of the stainless trim (slide release, thumb safety, MSH) with lighter alloy; lighter mags (the ETM comes in at 2.3oz empty); and, as a last resort, have a gunsmith grind off the rail (lightening the frame is legal; altering the slide is not).

So, any ideas?

Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Have the heel of the grip frame shaved? I forget the term for that but someone will post the correct term shortly I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Have the heel of the grip frame shaved? I forget the term for that but someone will post the correct term shortly I am sure.
    Bobtail?

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    Bobtail?
    Yay!!!

Administrator
    Check out the Brownell's 1911 catalog.

1st I would install a lightweight alloy mainspring housing. That will help a lot.
    A Titanium hammer strut would help a tiny bit.
    If you have a full length guide rod - you can get rid of that.
    Skeletonized hammer. Titanium trigger.

Also check out Evolution Gun Works.
    They can do EDM slide lightening cuts that are professionally done.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Oddly enough, I just got a bobtailed Scout 9mm from Fusion. Can't lighten the slide in IDPA, unfortunately, but the strut/MSH/hammer options sound like a start, maybe combined with some light grips. A bobtail is an option, though we'd have to make sure we have time to ship it, get it done, and get it back with time to practice before the match for that to work.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Administrator
    Can't lighten the slide in IDPA - My Whoops!-

Well, if every bit helps....there is the Titanium mainspring cap.
    I sure would not use a Titanium firing pin though they are available.
    If you're not using the rail for anything then you might as well get rid of that.

The radically skeletonized tool steel hammer should help.
    I'm busy doing nothing at work right now but, I'll get you the name of the exact one when I get home.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Rounding the mainspring housing will help with a skeleton trigger and hammer and lose the full-length guide rod. That should be about 1.2 oz. combined.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    If the Sig has a full length guide rod, are you able to replace it with a GI length rod?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

No full length guide rod to remove, which, alas, would be IDPA legal...

The aluminum MSH from VZ grips comes in at 0.6oz, which I think is as much as 0.9oz lighter than the stainless will run. So, I will probably do that, get slimmer grips, and do the titanium strut/cap/pin combo in the MSH. I could also have a bit shaved off the point of the frame without doing a full bobtail---though I might still do a full bob, anyway, since we both like that look.

Anybody put the titanium parts in? Will I have to change the mainspring weight if I do that?

Kazzer,

My GSR weighed in at the Indoor Nationals at exactly 41.0 ozs., empty with an empty Chip McCormick 8 rd. magazine. Imagine my surprise! I stood there looking at the scale with complete shock.

I ran it, and have for ages now, in ESP class as I'd thought I'd be heavier by 1.5 to 2ozs as based on reported weight of my model (railed) and year GSR by Sig Arms.
    I was shocked to find out I could have run CDP, being right at the limit. My GSR is OEM stock with exception of mismatched grips being smooth on the inside and rough finish on the outside.

Your GF could run as is stock in ESP as the limit there is 43 oz.
    Or she could seek out a lightweight mainspring housing to shave an ounce or more. Ages ago I'd heard of folks using a plastic mainspring housing but I have never seen one IRL.

The GSR comes with a steel MSH as OEM while aluminum, or plastic, would save you the weight necessary.

- Janq

P.S. - Normally I run ESP using a SA 1911 in 9mm with 9rd. 9MM magazines, which is just one short of division capacity rather than two.
    I decided to run the GSR only because it has better sights (Novak white dot) while the SA has adjustable target sights and would suck royally in the events expected 40% low light conditions.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Good post Jang.

Oh...the INFINITY XCELERATOR hammer

I'd up the the mainspring # a bit and go with a slightly stronger spring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    Also Brownell's

1911 AUTO LIGHTWEIGHT MAINSPRING HOUSING

Mfr: VZ GRIPS

Shaves Weight For A Fast Handling, Easy-To-Carry Pistol
    Flat mainspring housing machined from 6082-T6 aluminum helps achieve maximum weight reduction for shooters who want the advantages of a light, custom carry or competition gun.
    Weighs only 17 grams – over 2½ times lighter than similar flat housings made of steel.
    Checkered model is bead-blasted, then treated with a proprietary, black or silver hardcoat anodized finish that’s denser and more abrasion-resistant than traditional sulfuric anodizing; 20 lpi checkering improves grip and is less prone to snagging on clothing than extra-fine line patterns.
    Plain model is smooth without anodizing to allow custom checkering and finishing by the gunsmith.

SPECS: 6082-T6 aluminum, Checkered - hardcoat anodized, matte Black or Silver. Plain - in-the-white, unanodized. Govt - Fits Government and Commander models. Off - Fits Officers model.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Oh Kazzer one other thing.
    My GSR just barely fits in the box.

Had the front or rear sight been a tad bit taller (couple millimeters!), or the magazine base pad been slightly thicker (was checked at random while using the OEM Novak/ACT magazine), or the MSH rounded instead of flat...then I'm pretty confident it would not have fit in the IDPA box.
    The heavy square contour of the slide is why, where as all other 5" 1911s I've ever seen fit the box with space to spare.

Keep this in mind toward mods if you down the road decide to upgrade sights (height and weight are a consideration) and/or the MSH.
    Oh, and my unit has a single sided safety which is the only 1911 I've ever had like that. I have not changed it to a double purely for the reason of keeping her under weight.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq, I guess the GSR put on its "freshman 15" after the 1st gen came out. Our GSR was 42.0oz flat with a Wilson Combat ETM. I had a buddy weigh his McCormick, and he got 2.4oz for that, compared to the 2.3oz I got for the ETM. You know, I had been wondering why you were registered in ESP...

Anyway, thanks to the suggestions by QKShooter and others in this thread, I am going to call VZgrips today to talk about aluminum MSH and light grips, which ought to do the trick!

Your weight at 42 is what I had expected mine to be, again just going by what Sig Arms stated it's weight to be.

I'm thinking to do exactly as you are which is to lighten my GSR with an aluminum MSH and run it in CDP exclusively.
    BTW the grip screws on my unit are steel as well. You might be able to shave a little bit more weight there too with aluminum and still stay within the allowed mods constraints.

- Janq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links