Have you owned a .22LR rim fire that has never failed to fire, jam, feed, etc.?

This is a discussion on Have you owned a .22LR rim fire that has never failed to fire, jam, feed, etc.? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have you owned a .22LR rim fire (that has had a minimum of 500 rds through it) that has never failed to fire, jam, feed, ...

View Poll Results: Have you owned a .22LR rim fire that has never failed to fire, jam, feed, etc.?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

77 56.62%
  • No, on average 1 out of 100 rds fail.

29 21.32%
  • No, on average 2 out of 100 rds fail.

17 12.50%
  • No, on average greater than 3 out of 100 rds fail.

13 9.56%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you owned a .22LR rim fire that has never failed to fire, jam, feed, etc.?

Have you owned a .22LR rim fire (that has had a minimum of 500 rds through it) that has never failed to fire, jam, feed, etc.?

I have shot many, many, many .22 LR rimfire firearms. I would testify that I have seen at least one failure to fire out of 500 (would be more like 1 out of 100). Most of the time, when you inspect the round, you can see the round was struck. I have noticed close to 50% of the time the round will fire if you try again.

When the round refires, I assume it could be the firearm. When it does not fire, I tend to believe it is the round.

From online forums and even a few first hand conversations I have been told by a few people that their .22 has never failed to fire or feed. Most receintly I was told by a proud 10/22 owner who uses CCI Mini Mag.22 lr(s) that this round has never failed to fire (over 10,000 rounds).

He commented that I must not be cleaning the firearm properly and that it must be the rounds. I've always liked the Remington bulk packed "Golden Bullets." He stated they were one of the worse. This is the opposite experince I have had (all around).

There are two 10/22s that I have shot a great deal. With each, I have experienced greater reliability and accuracy from the Remington bulk (esp feed) then CCI Mini Mag.

More over, regardless of the brand (or firearm) at the very least, I would say I have never experienced less than two jams, failure to fire, failure to feed, etc out of 500 rounds.

I'm wondering about the forum's experience.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    nope... I have a 10/22 that fails to eject about once every brick. I keep it fairly clean as well.

VIP Member
    The only problem I have ever encountered with my Ruger Mark II is fail to fire. Usually after firing quite a few round. My Mark II likes CCI better than anything I run through it, but when it gets dirty it will act up. Since I use it for plinking I don't worry about it.

Yes. I have never field stripped my Ruger MKII. I have put 3250 rounds of Federal Bulk with nothing but a spray down and wipe off after each session (with G96). I have never had a malfunction of any kind. It's an excellent plinker, and I love it!

I grew up with a Browning made around 1960. I truly cannot remember a malfunction ever with countless boxes of random ammo over a dozen years. The brother who lost it is still on my bad list.

I bought a new S&W model 41 perhaps twelve years ago. A few bricks of a variety of target ammo and perhaps two cases of Federal Gold Target and the only failures were while I was playing with different springs and other adjustments.

While learning to shoot NRA target style, SWMBO had a fair number of stove pipes with her S&W model 622 that I attribute to limp wrists. After she got her style down I do not recall any more failures with perhaps a half a case of the same Federal Gold Target.

In my youth, I shot 10's of thousands of rounds in .22 rifle competion. I can remember 2 hangfires and 1 misfire using mosty standard velocity rounds from various manufacturors.

Two things about misfires I have noted in these later years:

1. Most .22 ammo is a LOT more likely to misfire these days.

2. It is NOT a good idea to dry fire .22's especially pistols.

I can't give a good explaination for #1 except perhaps they are putting less primer material in .22's than they used to.

On #2 when I started pistol competition, I began with a brand new S&W K22 Masterpiece which is a 6 shot revolver (this should date me!).

Today, I keep that K22 as a plinker because it misfires a lot. The reason that it misfires is because the .22LR cartridge is a rim fire round and the firing pin strikes the rim of the round.

When dry fired a lot, the firing pin strikes the edge of the cylinder and over time makes a dent in the edge of each chamber. The partially unsupported edge makes for misfires and/or hangfires.

I dry fired that K22 many thousands of times learning trigger control before I noticed the problem.

Hope this helps someone out there.

...Skye...

Yes and no the 22 that i have now has a problem with loading a round into the chamber but that is due to weak spring on a bad mag.

VIP Member
    I have put at least 12000rds through my Ruger 10/22 with around 100 FTFs, FTEs or FTLs. all with random ammo. I bought a Sig Mosquito last year and had probably 5 of the first 200 rds have problems. I started using CCI MiniMags and have had 0 of about 800 have problems. I attribute this to low quality ammo. I have also put about 200 rds CCI through my Ruger with no problems. Thank you CCI for making a superior product!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Thank you CCI for making a superior product!
    In my youth, I shot 10's of thousands of rounds in .22 rifle competion. I can remember 2 hangfires and 1 misfire using mosty standard velocity rounds from various manufacturors.
    Many .22 misfires are due to the nature of the beast, which is poor quality primers. I agree with the above two statements made in the thread. Both in rifle and pistol usage from the time I was a kid, I can't remember problems with ammo. I shot copious amounts of all sizes of .22 from BB Cap to Long Rifle, and they always fired. Today it seems you get some bad ammo in every brick. The exception in my experience is with CCI mini mags and Stingers, (although my Stinger usage is only in the hundreds).

Almost always a second strike, somewhere else on the base of a .22, will result in the round going off. To me that is a sure sign it is a ammo problem and not pistol related.

In pistols, but not revolvers or long guns. I use cheap bulk-pak ammo, and I do get a few failures to feed or fire. The few times I have shot primium ammo I had no failures. Since I use the .22 pistol for plinking and practice, I'll stick with the cheap stuff and get to shoot a lot more for my dollar.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Ruger 10/22 and Ruger Mark 1

Of the two the Mark 1 was fairly reliable with higher quality ammo but my 10/22 fails miserably every ten rounds. I've tried taking the whole gun apart down to taking the triggar pack and bolt apart for cleaning to trying every 22 brand on the market yet my 10/22 jams like no tomorrow.

I got mad a few times and fired my AKM because I had forgotten what reliability felt like...
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

i bought a Ruger mark III in october and not only is it a royal pain the bum to get apart...unbelievably so that i get my friend who has a mark II to do it for me most times..but it was jamming up usually at least once every other 20 rounds. cleaned with some gunzilla and switched to federal instead of remmington/winchester and i had 1/4 the jams so i'm hoping it just didn't like the winchester/remmington rounds b/c .22 just can't be beat for cheap fun. knocks down steel too :-D

Remington Nylon 66 that I got as a kid. It's probably 40 years old and never bobbled one time.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

More like 1 out of 500 or so, but it has mostly been the ammo's fault. Even after a nmber of strikes, it still refused to fire. Have about 10 .22's and it has happened on all the guns and on "ALL" brands of ammo. Some ammo more than others but on all brands and type/quality of ammo. It has to be in the way they prime the rim.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    I would agree that the problems I have had are (most likely) due to the ammo. I also believe that for my money, I'd rather pay a little more and shoot CCI MiniMags, they must cost more because they are "built" better. Better priming around the rim, less empty spots, smoother outer casing and better bullets. I didn't think it would make much difference, but I have yet to have a problem with them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links