can a reloader answer my question

This is a discussion on can a reloader answer my question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have carried my 40 cal with one in the chamber for a while and then when I get home I rack it out and ...

Thread: can a reloader answer my question

can a reloader answer my question

I have carried my 40 cal with one in the chamber for a while and then when I get home I rack it out and put it back in the clip, but I was informed that you can actually seat the bullet a little further in the case and mess with the pressure on a 40 and it could result in a grenading gun please help

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    NEVER, EVER, ever try firing a round that has set back to it. It does substantially increase the pressure developed by the round and could have disastrous consequences. This not only applies to the .40 S&W round, but any caliber. If you encounter setback discard the round.

Some will mark a chambered round with a sharpie and after rotating thru the mag 2x will use for range use. I just don't empty my pistol at night - carry/home defense = same pistol.

Yes constantly rechambering a round can produce bullet setback. Yes bullet setback increases pressure in the round, and can cause damage to the firearm.

Why do you remove the round every evening? Is there a reason you don't want your pistol ready for action when at your home. If so, I would recommend finding a safer place to keep the pistol so you don't have to rechamber rounds every day.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

Why do you remove the round every evening? Is there a reason you don't want your pistol ready for action when at your home. If so, I would recommend finding a safer place to keep the pistol so you don't have to rechamber rounds every day.
    Yeah, inquiring minds want to know!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I like to practice with my carry gun, both live fire and dry fire. After I'm sure that my gun is reliable with my chosen carry ammo, I shoot my reloads, not the premium ammo for carry. So I have to get that one chambered round out while I'm practicing. (I'm not going to justify emptying the chamber before dry firing. I'll leave that to your imaginations.)
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

I too wonder why you would empty your gun at night. Mine goes on the headboard when I go to bed, ''helps us sleep a bit easier''. But bullet setback can make for a real bad day. Depending on the load it could even compress the powder. When you have new ammo check the overall length with a good set of calipers to get proper length, after you have chambered it recheck it and you will know if you have setback.
    Good luck and be safe
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    I have carried my 40 cal with one in the chamber for a while and then when I get home I rack it out and put it back in the clip, but I was informed that you can actually seat the bullet a little further in the case and mess with the pressure on a 40 and it could result in a grenading gun please help
    I started a similar discussion here http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t-setback.html. From what is posted particularly post #7 by Ram Rod follow his link. My interpritation is that the problem is most severe in reloaded ammo, especially in Glocks (love em I have 3) and the 40S/W cartridge is the most likely to have the problem. That said no one on this forum has posted that they have actually witnessed this phenomenon. One incident in the link from Ram Rod is the KB caused at a secure facillity that admin loads on a daily basis very repeated cycling of the same round.

Regards,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I just have a can in my pistol safe. Whenever a round comes out of the chamber I toss it in the can and shoot them up the next time I go to the range. To me it's not worth the cost of those few rounds to have to worry about setback.
    I don't unload every time it gets put away, but with cleaning & dry fire I end up with a few rounds over time. I also just change the mag out with practice ammo when at the range and let the one carry round in the chamber meet the berm, I figure that will provide rotation of my carry ammo over time.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

My only issue is that when I get home I like to take my gun off for the night and I have 3 little kids at home, So instead of worrying about the gun now I have bought a small safe that I can lock it up until bed time and then pull it out and set it on the night stand so for the most part now they will have one in the pipe at all times thanks guys for you answers

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Invest in a decent caliper and measure the rounds that have been cycled through your gun. If they are short, have the bullets pulled and re-seated with a nice TIGHT crimp. No big deal to do.

Links