Conversation with a member of Congress

This is a discussion on Conversation with a member of Congress within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a phone conversation with my Representative this morning. I consider him a personal friend, and have known him for several years. His kids ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversation with a member of Congress

I had a phone conversation with my Representative this morning. I consider him a personal friend, and have known him for several years. His kids are part of my County 4-H Program, and his eldest daughter (who is one of the most natural markmen I have ever seen) will be going to a 4-H Shooting Sports program training with me next month.

Several topics came up during this conversation, a couple of which I'd like to highlight here.

He first told me that this administration is as far left a we will ever see. And that's from a person who is not one to exaggerate. The Constitution of the United States means very little to them. It's power and control. One example is the attempt to get statehood-like representation in Washington DC. It makes not one whit of difference what the Constitution says. It's more that DC is a liberal stronghold with a lot of liberal support.

We also discussed what we, at the local level, can do. Amongst the things he suggested is of course, write to your representatives and senators regardless of their affiliation, stance on guns, the Constitution and especially the 2nd Amendment. They need to know your feelings. The problem in a lot of cases is voter apathy. Also, get involved in the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program: CMP Home) . There are many like minded folks shooting at Camp Perry in Ohio, and more to the point, it's a wealth of knowledge. Get involved in youth shooting sports programs. For example, one which I've touted on this board a number of times - the 4-H Shooting Sports program. Here's the URL to Ohio's version - Ohio 4-H Shooting Sports . One of the things I've found is that if you get the kids interested in shooting sports, the parents at best get involved, and at least lose their fear of the unknown. They find out that we are not a bunch of ultra right wingers who wear cammies and hide in the wood waiting to shoot something or some one. Our kids are going to be the future, and if enough include guns in that future, at least the next generations won't have to do what we are doing to preserve our rights.

Or, we can chose to sit around and do nothing about things and not get involved. And I don't need to explain the consequences of that choice.

I won't publicly divulge the name of the guy to whom I spoke. If you want to know who he is, PM me. But what I will say is that he is one of the true patriots who believe very strongly in the part of his oath where he swears to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies - foreign and domestic. Not selected parts of the Constitution, but the Constitution in it's entirety.

Thanks for reading and listening.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Administrator
    Being in Ohio and involved in the shooting sports, I can take an educated guess to whom you spoke with.
    Anyway, now is not the time to be lazy or apathetic. If it were up to me, We'd be having a tea party.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Anyway, now is not the time to be lazy or apathetic. If it were up to me, We'd be having a tea party.
    Yup. And you would probably be right on your guess about my conversation.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Anyway, now is not the time to be lazy or apathetic.
    Absolutely.

If you aren't already, get involved! If you already are, step up the pace.

Don't just rely on National Organizations to carry the load. Join and work with a grass roots organization.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Definitely need to step up. Unless the Great Hope falls on his face in his first four years...he will be back for another four and start to work on his personal causes...to include guns.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Being in Ohio and involved in the shooting sports, I can take an educated guess to whom you spoke with.
    Now is too late. The ship has already left the dock.

Folks should have been posting stuff like this and taking _action_ 3, 6, 12, 24 months ago!
    That the Obama administration is ultra-left should be no surprise to anyone, who had been paying attention prior to Election Day...and not easily bamboozled by hype and marketing.

Now that the boat is under sail and we sensible people are stowed away in the hold, best we can do is sit in the middle and hold on whilst praying for calm seas.

Last night Nancy Pelosi sat in the background the whole time beaming, grinning and smiling from ear to ear.
    What seamen refer to as being a sign of rough weather coming.

- Janq

"Went to see the Captain, strangest I could find...Laid my proposition down, laid it on the line. I wont slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way to sink your ship of fools..." - The Grateful Dead, 'Ship of Fools'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Nice quote Jank!

"Thier walls are built from cannon balls... thier motto is "Dont tread on me"" . Grateful Dead "Uncle Johns Band"

Is your friend a Republican? I have a Republican representative in Congress. He has gotten a lot of media time lately. In every sound byte from him, bald faced lies spew from his mouth. I am completely serious - lies. He knows he is lying. He does not care if it gets him media attention. He does not have a plan for dealing with the economy. He is not about representing my district with responsible legislation. He is about tearing down the other side by any means necessary. His masters (not his constituency) tell him to bark and he barks.

I am absolutely sick of this partisan warfare. To be perfectly clear, I am not defending the Democrats. However, I am ashamed and astonished at how morally bankrupt the Republican party - as a party - has become.

Call me naieve, but when politicians lie to me, they are telling me that they have nothing to offer beyond their own power gratification.

Don't be confused. The Republicrats and Demicans both gave us the current mess we're in. The Constitution, the 2A in particular, means very little to most anyone in the ruling class these days. Any thinking person must assume that every word from every politician is at the very least misleading until proven otherwise.

I'd love to see another tea party. Just let me know when and where. Freedom is the only way out.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    Don't be confused. The Republicrats and Demicans both gave us the current mess we're in. The Constitution, the 2A in particular, means very little to most anyone in the ruling class these days. Any thinking person must assume that every word from every politician is at the very least misleading until proven otherwise.

I'd love to see another tea party. Just let me know when and where. Freedom is the only way out.

Mel
    I'm in.

Distinguished Member
    I'm in, but if we are going to have a tea party, shouldn't it be environmentally friendly and be a "green tea" party

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

NOW is the time to get involved. BOTH parties have let the American people down. Time to weed out the power hungery partisans and use the FEW who remember they work for the American people as "seed stock". It is good to know there are a few....Blue Dog Democrats come to mind also. Time to start working towards the 2010 elections. We the people need to search out and encourage individuals who believe in the Constitution and know who is "boss". WE ARE....not the government....not the parties.
    Republicans want my money in the future...they are going to have to PROVE to me that the course has changed. I think there were as many Republicans as Democrats who were "trashing" Sarah Palin...all because she is not one of the "Country Club Republicans". Apathy has been our problem....let's not let it become our downfall.

BTW....Dennis Miller had the best name for Pelosi last night. HACK IN THE BOX. She looked like she had been "sampling" California's biggest export.....POT.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Both party's are way off the reservation! I started listening to Rush again on a regular basis a couple of months before the election.

Ok, while a lot of folks just hear his name mentioned and immediately go off on a tangent, but Rush is a Conservative, not necessarily a Republican. But he whole heartily declares that the Republican party has moved away from Conservative values.

I agree with Rush, that together, Conservatives must strive to put Conservatism back into the Republican party.

Face it, the Republican party was supposed to be the party of Conservatives. They aren't anymore and it's up to us to restore it.

Try giving Rush a listen to for a few weeks. He has a plan for those of us who are Conservative above all else. And he does have a wide reach.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

IF someone attempts to take guns away.... I'ld hate to see them try to take my 12 yr old granddaughter's rifle away from her. LOL. She loves to shoot. So does my 10 yr old grandson. But she, would fight you for her rights ..... tooth and nail.

She learned that somewhere......

Our Reps hear from us, and are on track. However, they made some comments to start writing Pelosi, Reid, and the others.... as often as possible.... not just your own representative.....

If I may pick a nit; once upon a time the Republicans were Libertarians and a far cry from what usually gets labeled Conservative lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links