A Question About The Beretta 92 (fs?)...

A Question About The Beretta 92 (fs?)...

This is a discussion on A Question About The Beretta 92 (fs?)... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, new member here. In fact, I fired a gun for the first time not 2 hours ago. Anyway, I just got a degree in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question About The Beretta 92 (fs?)...

Question A Question About The Beretta 92 (fs?)...

Hello, new member here. In fact, I fired a gun for the first time not 2 hours ago.

Anyway, I just got a degree in CJ, and am looking to buy my first Handgun. After talking to the numerous Police Officers I currently work with, most of them referred me to the Beretta 92fs.

I went to a gun shop earlier and found one. It was All Black. I asked if they had any in the silver (steel?), but he said they only come in black. I'm a bit confused, because I have been researching the gun for a like a week, and I've Mostly seen two-tone or silver/steel ones.

Is there a certain 92 that only comes in all black, or do all of them?

-Benjamin

p.s. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Not sure about Beretta, but Taurus makes a SS model 92

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Is this going to be a carry gun, or range/home defense? The 92 is a little big for conceal carry in my opinion. There are a lot of guns better suited for carry.

It's going to be a carry gun.

One of the police officers that I work with said the same thing, and let me try on his with an IWB (<-- is that right?) at about 4 o'clock. It was very comfortable for me. Sitting, standing, running....

Unfortunately, he also said that Taurus are not very reliable. I'm not saying that I agree, 'cause I know NOTHING about these things, but he's a police officer, and he's paying for it anyway.

-Benjamin

p.s. Although I know that the Taurus PT99 is what Mercutio (along with just about all the other characters) carried in the 1996 Feature Film, "Romeo & Juliet". That was such a GORGEOUS gun!!! lol

VIP Member
    Found what your looking for, Beretta 92FS Inox.

If he will allow it, see if he will let you carry it around all day. Big difference in carrying a weapon all day versus carrying it for a short period.

https://www.berettausa.com/e2wProduc...8%3a4100001491

I had the Beretta 92 G SD...just a reg 92 with a light rail. It was a great gun, but a little bulky for concealed carry IMHO (in my humble opinion).
    There's a lot to choose from...get thee to a gun shop and start looking for the one that will begin 'calling your name'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Big difference in carrying a weapon all day versus carrying it for a short period.

https://www.berettausa.com/e2wProduc...8%3a4100001491
    +1. see if you can't wear it for an extended period of time. i did that with my taurus and had a nice little bruise on my hip (i ended up wearing it wrong for a while). BTW, some Taurus' can be unreliable. If you're looking at 3rd Gen Mill Pro's, I've never heard anything bad about them. Taurus went through it's rough patch, but from what I understand (and experienced) they seemed to have worked everything out.

oh, and welcome to DC and congrats on the "indoctrination"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The Beretta 92 is one of my favorite 9mm handguns. I love the looks, the smooth action, and the low recoil. I unfortunately had to sell mine and will be replacing it in a couple weeks with my tax return. It is a little heavy for an everyday carry gun, but it'll be fine as a duty sidearm and/or home defense. I have attempted to carry it on several occasions, and it is a huge gun to carry. It's too bad it doesn't come in .45 ACP because that would be the perfect size and weight for that cartridge. It has been serving our troops for two decades now, so I see no reason not to get a Beretta 92.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

THANKS!!! Wow, it does seem to be about $100 more.

Anyway, thank you for all the good advice. I will definitely see if he will let me carry it for a full shift. I did wear it for about 6 hours the other day, though... Either way, I think I'll see if he will let me do it again. Maybe wear something different from what I had on that day, b/c what I was wearing probably made it easier...lol

-B

For a carry gun, if you like the Beretta 92FS..... I would go with the Beretta Cougar (not much difference except in size & abilty to conceal) - 16 shots, or the Beretta PX4 subcompact (even better to conceal) - 13 shots. They all shoot about the same to me. The later 2 are much easier to conceal.

The Beretta Cougar 8000, now has the Stoeger name but is the same gun ... Beretta transferred the mfg to Stoeger when they bought them.

And, all of these are carried by some LEO depts.

Administrator
    Hang on a minute... are you looking for a duty gun or a carry gun? The Beretta is a great gun, but I think your making a big mistake buying one of concealed carry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

here's a pic of mine http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-so-purdy.html

go to another store if you can....if not then print this page out and educate him https://www.berettausa.com/e2wProduc...368:4100001491
    Last edited by jowgafist; February 26th, 2009 at 10:22 AM.

Administrator

The OP is asking specific questions about a Beretta.
    Please don't sidetrack his thread into Taurus.
    Thanks.

Hi I had and really liked a Beretta 92fs its a great gun,in fact I'm considering getting another one this week,and they are available in Stainless steel Beretta calls it inox finish. I have fired a lot of rounds with mine in all types of bullets and never had one malfunction,the Beretta 92 is probably one of the most reliable auto loading pistols ever designed. It also an almost straight feed angle from the mag to the feed ramp,hence the feeding reliability. If you chose a Beretta 92 you've maybe the best 9mm handgun ever made,yes its that good IMO.

I would say if you like the gun it can be concealed with a good belt holster combo. I carried mine in an andrews leather belt and McDaniel II IWB holster. I could hide the gun effectively in an X-large T-shirt or polo shirt and cargo shorts.

It was also very comfortable as well and with the McDaniel II holster you can adjust the cant of the holster. This really helps you fine tune the holster to your body type. Here is a link Andrews Custom Leather
    to the holster makers website to help you out a bit,and Sam is a real gentleman to.

You must have been reading my mind Sixto. I carried a Beretta 96 for about 2 months, and MAN was I glad to unload it. From the artillery sized dimensions to the bass-ackward slide mounted safety (which decocks automatically on "safe"), it just isn't a good carry piece. The Brigadier made some positive changes.

The Beretta 8000 is...more of the same. It's big, it's heavy, and it has the same safety set up.

For a duty gun--no sweat. For carry? Not so much. M&P, GLOCK, XD, HK, Sig all make better models for CCW.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I carry, depending on mood, a Kahr Arms P9, a Springfield 1911 A1, and the Beretta 92. The Beretta is wider than the others but not as heavy as the 1911 A1. I carry all three in IWB holsters from Tucker Gunleather. Yes the bigger guns can get heavy after awhile but I think you get use to it. A good belt really helps. The big guns are not what you want to carry while wearing shorts on a hot day mind you.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links