What do the RCMP carry?

What do the RCMP carry?

This is a discussion on What do the RCMP carry? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering what the royal Canadian mounted police carry as an issued sidearm? I ask because I looked at a few Ruger GP100's with ...

Thread: What do the RCMP carry?

What do the RCMP carry?

I was wondering what the royal Canadian mounted police carry as an issued sidearm? I ask because I looked at a few Ruger GP100's with the 4" tapered barrel and the factory bobbed hammer,the guns were DAO and the shop owner said all three were recent imports from Canada.

He said that these guns were royal Canadian mounted police guns did the RCMP carry and do they still carry .357 magnum handguns? I'm always curious as to what other countries police carry as issued sidearms,thanks for any help.

cool thanks

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    that's a pretty little piece of perfection. i like the little mountie imprinted on them too.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

What ammo do they use?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    They buy ammo by contract, awhile ago it was Hydroshocks, what it is right now I could not tell you, but I suspect it varies across the country, depending on what the local supplier has in stock.

VIP Member
    To the best of my knowledge the Mounties never carried Rugers. The standard service revolver, before they switched to semis, was the Smith Model 10 with a 5" tapered barrel.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

We saw a lot of those Rugers in WA. I was told that they were from a large security/money transport company that had just rearmed with Glocks. Some of the Rugers came with Safariland holsters and were selling for about $280-300. I'm sorry I missed out on these
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

RCMP service pistol and ammo

Here's some info on RCMP sidearms and issue ammo. As mentioned by others, they were indeed issued the SW 10 w/5" barrel, up until about 1993 or so. There were, I believe, a few Rugers along the way too, probably the Security Six, but I'm not sure. Starting in 1981, they were issued the 158gr SWCHP +P round, sometimes the Winchester version, other times the Federal. They were among the first LE agencies in Canada to be issued hollow point service rounds. When they replaced the revolvers, they got the 5946 plus the single stack version; officers could choose which one he/she wanted, and quite a few chose the latter. Either way, both uniform and plain clothes people had the same options. These pistols come equipped with night sights, and also, the black ERT version was ordered without the magazine disconnect feature. Ammo has always been 147 grain for general issue, presently thought to be the Federal HST. However, because of the size of the agency, they haven't always been able to get large enough quantities of whatever the current round is, so they will often have more than one option. Initially they had Ranger SXT (yes, the first batches were black), but Hydra Shok has also been issued. ERT commanders at one time had some discretion as to what the teams carried, so rounds like the 115 gr. Silvertip also found their way into the P226s which they had started with,again in the early 90s. Hope this helps

Sponsored Links