Beretta Cougar - rotating barrel?? REALLY??

This is a discussion on Beretta Cougar - rotating barrel?? REALLY?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was just reading up on random guns online and ran across the Beretta Cougar. I read that it has an axial rotating barrel?? How ...

Thread: Beretta Cougar - rotating barrel?? REALLY??

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

I was just reading up on random guns online and ran across the Beretta Cougar. I read that it has an axial rotating barrel?? How does this work? Does the barrel actually spin with the bullet? Does this affect accuracy or anything?

If anyone can actually explain the physics to me, I would be VERY interested in understanding this.

- P
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

The barrel doesn't turn with the bullet, it turns slightly as the action cycles so that the barrel stays on a single plane rather than dropping down and back as with the Browning design. It makes for an accurate, soft shooting gun.

When the gun fires, the slide and barrel both moved rearward where the barrel rotates slightly, less than 1/4 turn, and unlocks itself from the slide and stops in position awaiting the next round to be loaded from the magazine. When the slide returns it forces a new round from the magazine into the chamber/barrel and reconnects with the barrel. As they travel foward together the barrel again turns the opposite direction and re-locks itself together with slide for firing. I hope this made sense.
    God & Guns!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpd563 View Post
    When the gun fires, the slide and barrel both moved rearward where the barrel rotates slightly, less than 1/4 turn, and unlocks itself from the slide and stops in position awaiting the next round to be loaded from the magazine. When the slide returns it forces a new round from the magazine into the chamber/barrel and reconnects with the barrel. As they travel foward together the barrel again turns the opposite direction and re-locks itself together with slide for firing. I hope this made sense.
    Yeah, it did. It seems incredibly complex. I'd be interested in seeing a slo-mo of the firing process to visualize that kind of movement.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    Stoeger Cougar Double-Action, Auto-Loading Pistolx

Check out the website for Stoeger
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

It is similar to a Garand/M14/Mini 14 action with it's rotating bolt.

Its just a different type of locking system. The "Browning" system, which is probably the most widley used, works differenty but acieves the goal. The Browning type lock uses a "tilt barrel" or "drop barrel" type of locking system that is seen in the 1911's, Glocks, Smith & Wessons, Sigs, Kahrs, and many other semi-auto pistols. If you have ever slowly manually worked one the listed guns then you already understand how the Browning system works. The rear of the barrel/chamber actually tilts down and unlocks from the slide. You might be able to google the Beretta rotating barrel and find a slo-mo visualization of it. Also you go to the Beretta web site and find some pics of it. Its probably not any better than the time tested and proven Browning system, just a different way of accomplishing the same goal.
    God & Guns!

Sponsored Links