Great Gun, Bad Shot

This is a discussion on Great Gun, Bad Shot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Took my G36 out for the first time yesterday. Either I am a terrible shot, or, I have a technique problem. (One in the same, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Gun, Bad Shot

Great Gun, Bad Shot

Took my G36 out for the first time yesterday. Either I am a terrible shot, or, I have a technique problem. (One in the same, I guess...)

My target sheet was some printed glass bottles. Seriously, I struggled to hit the big bottles at 25'. I am right-handed and was using a standard left foot forward stance, cupped weak hand hold under my gun hand. I know that my trigger pull technique wasn't great, but seriously, should I be having this bad of a time at 25'? May have something to do with the grip... The inside of by trigger finger is all tore up. Almost as if I was allowing too much kick-back...

Help me.

Singned,

Glock "Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" 36 from Northern Colorado...
    "When was the last time you've witnessed a gun grow legs and walk across a room to kill someone? - I'd be for gun control too if I viewed the world through the eyes of a Liberal..."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It is probably your shooting technique but you haven't given enough info. Were you shooting low, high, left, right, low left? different points of impact can be caused by different things.

I brought the target back after each clip and marked the shots with a pen. I am embarassed to say that I was all over the place.

Welcome to forum!
    A whole lot of possibilites here. One of the first things we need to know is are you new to pistol shooting, or do you generally shoot well and is this just an issue with this particular pistol?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Unhappy

Hi, mcp1810-

I am new to the handgun scene. Been just a rifle hunter only until recently. This is my first and only handgun. I wasn't expecting to be a good shot, but this is terrible. Maybe I should just considering carrying a heavy rock with me wherever I go?
    "When was the last time you've witnessed a gun grow legs and walk across a room to kill someone? - I'd be for gun control too if I viewed the world through the eyes of a Liberal..."

I didn't do particularly well with Glocks until I adopted the "Thumbs-Forward" grip.

I'm home alone, so I can't post a picture; basically, you wrap your off-hand around your shooting hand, and point both thumbs forward on the frame. It feels a bit odd until you get used to it; then, it seems the most natural thing in the world (at least, that's how it worked for me).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks, Cuda66-

I will add give it a "shot".

Also, what makes some brands of guns harder to shoot over others?

New Member Array Dynamite Rabbit's Avatar
    Glock36, where do you shoot (I think your first post said you're in northern CO)? I'd be happy to get together with you sometime. I shoot in Loveland most of the time.

OK a couple of things to try that might help.
    Grip your pistol in your right hand as tight as you can. Then start easing off on the pressure until your hand stops shaking. Your grip needs to be solid and consistent. As far as the interaction between your hands, you want to be pressing forward with the right hand and pulling back with the left. It may take a little playing with to get the right feel. When you find the right balance you will know it. The pistol will be steady as a rock.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    OK a couple of things to try that might help.
    Grip your pistol in your right hand as tight as you can. Then start easing off on the pressure until your hand stops shaking. Your grip needs to be solid and consistent. As far as the interaction between your hands, you want to be pressing forward with the right hand and pulling back with the left. It may take a little playing with to get the right feel. When you find the right balance you will know it. The pistol will be steady as a rock.
    Wow! I just tried that now with my "invisible gun"... Steady as a rock! I will take that with me on my next trip to the range... Thanks mcp1810!

VIP Member
    Grip makes a huge difference, also you need to work on trigger control. (probably) If you anticipate the shot, you tighten or loosen your grip when you think it's about to come, you should be surprised by every shot.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Todd Jarrett IPSC Pistol Grip Lesson

Watch this video...see if the grip makes any more sense afterwards. Good luck.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Todd Jarrett IPSC Pistol Grip Lesson

Watch this video...see if the grip makes any more sense afterwards. Good luck.

That's the "Thumbs Forward" method I was talking about...

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by glock36 View Post
    Thanks, Cuda66-

I will add give it a "shot".

Also, what makes some brands of guns harder to shoot over others?

Not necessarily harder, just different. I was used to shooting 1911's, and other pistols with a more vertical grip; the Glock's grip angle is a bit different than others, and took some getting used to.

FWIW, I found that when I went thumbs forward, my overall handgun shooting improved, regardless of model.

A couple other tips for you:

When you establish your grip, use your ring finger to get the tight grip - squeezing more with the ring finger should make it easier to be consistent with your trigger pull vs. squeezing with your middle finger.

Dry fire a lot. There is a good chance you are anticipating the recoil and pushing the gun all over the place. If you try to compensate for the recoil you will shove the muzzle forward before firing, often your impact will be high. If you are "afraid" of the recoil or noise, you'll close your eyes and flinch at the last second - often your shot will go low. A combination of both is a recipe for bad shooting.

The easy fix is dry firing a lot. Line up the sights and squeeze the trigger. Get used to pulling the trigger with no recoil, and when you're on the range do it the same way.

Basically though, you need to make friends with the gun and the recoil and all. Wearing double ear protection helps a lot to block out the noise - recoil is very slight when you take the sound away.

Hope this helps,

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links