Crickett or Chipmunk?

Crickett or Chipmunk?

This is a discussion on Crickett or Chipmunk? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was out at Gander today looking for a cap gun for my boy who will turn 6 on Thursday and we went to look ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crickett or Chipmunk?

Crickett or Chipmunk?

I was out at Gander today looking for a cap gun for my boy who will turn 6 on Thursday and we went to look through the rifle section. They had one Crickett rifle (pink) and a few Chipmunk rifles with wood stocks. They appear to be the same size and function the same way. They both look like they are going to fit him just right come the first of May when I get to start shooting again. He has been shooting with us since before he could walk, but just over the past few weeks or couple of months has he expressed any interest in shooting himself. I am thinking it has something to do with seeing both me and his mom putting pistols on. No she hasn't started carring every day since her CHL came in, I am still working on that, but she is carrying some and he sees her put her holster/pistol on and so this may have sparked the interest in him.

Anyway after some looking online it appears that the Rogue company has been bought out by the Keystone company and parts, inventory ect. are all actually Keystone products now.

With this in mind, would there be any reason to buy a Chipmunk, instead of the Crickett since the former is apparently out of production now?

I have a client that has gotten into the firearm business this past year, so I am thinking of giving him a call tomorrow evening and asking him what he can get the Crickett for. I need to find out if he has found any leads on a Sub 2000 that takes G19 magazines anyway, so it will give me a chance to check that anyway.

It appears that the Crickett is also tapped already for a scope but I don't think I will be letting him get used to a scope, at least not till he learns to shoot with iron sights first.

So, am I right with trying to find a Crickett instead of doing the easy thing and giving Gander money for the Chipmunk?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Please don't make his landmark first gun, something he'll save for HIS grandchildren, a PINK rifle!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Please don't make his landmark first gun, something he'll save for HIS grandchildren, a PINK rifle!
    No, it won't be pink, or black or even laminate. It will be a wood stock with either a blued or stainless barrel. Gander had one pink Crickett, but no wood ones. That is why the call would be to the client that has his FFL about getting a wood stock one for the boy.

Man, you would think I would get more credit that to give my son a pink rifle for his first gun.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sorry Farron...I didn't read the original close enough. I thought you had it narrowed down to a wood Chipmunk or a pink Crickett. The little stock wood/blued Chipmunk was the first gun above a BB that my daughters got. Still have it. They would have loved a pink one at that age!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

If your boy insists on a pink gun,It's too late to drop him off in Nebraska
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I bought a Crickett rifle for my boys when they turned 8 y/o and began shooting BB guns with the cub scouts. That was several years ago now and they (my three youngest boys are triplets) love the little gun. In another couple of years they will outgrow it and be ready for an adult sized stock, but until then it's about as perfect a trainer rifle you can get. BTW, if you live near an Academy store here in Texas, they sell the Crickett for less than $200, though I got mine at a local show for about $125. There was also another gun there that looked like an exact copy made by Mossberg or Henry (I can't remember who exactly) for about the same price if you want to check them out.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

If the local guy can't get them in that price range I can drive down to Longview after tax season. I need to get down there to look at their canoes any way.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If your boy insists on a pink gun,It's too late to drop him off in Nebraska
    That hurts!!!!!!

You are too late, it was already fixed.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Not to take the wind out of the cricket, but there's another option you might consider.... the Rossi Junior "combo" with the .22 cal barrel and the .410 barrel. As he gets a bit older, and braver, the little .410 shotgun barrel is a great step up from the .22. And, there's a nice carry bag to store the entire kit broken down. Cost isn't much diferent than the cricket, and will last him many, many more years than the miniature cricket.

Just a suggestion from a grandpa that's been there

both the cricket and the rossi are good guns for a young man. i have used both with the grandkids. they both have a place. it depends on the youth in which gun you get. i found it is best to take the youth to the store and try the the gun on. it works out better that way.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The Rossi or the H&N will have to come later. The stocks are way to long for a 6 year old to shoulder properly and get a correct sight picture. The other downfall of the Rossi is the plastic sights it has. They are hard to keep tight and can strip easily. A buddy of mine has one for his son and I have done all I could to keep the open sights adjusted, but it was never successful.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

FYI, I was at Academy today and the Crickett was selling for $99. The Crickett look-a-like is a Henry and was $199.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I guess a trip to Longview is in order at the end of April then.

Besides, I haven't eaten at Papasita's in a while.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Exclamation He's 6 and....

You have not bought him his first gun..... Shame one you Shame, Shame, Shame...
    Pink guns are for your daughters, get him the wooden stock... BTY I started my kids out at age 5.... Make it father son time at the range and spend some premium time that both of you will remember forever.!!

I know I do not have to say this but.... Safety first, and that is lesson No1....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I gave him a stainless pump .22 (one I already had) for his first Christmas when he was about 9 months old. It was really just to piss off my sisters, but he thought that shiny thing was great.

This will be one he can actually shoulder, and shoot.

A buddy of mine is checking on his way back from Houston today and may pick one up if he finds one.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links