First Time Shooters

First Time Shooters

This is a discussion on First Time Shooters within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My daughter's wedding is this coming Saturday so we'll be entertaining a lot of out-of-town family and friends. I asked a couple of them if ...

Thread: First Time Shooters

First Time Shooters

My daughter's wedding is this coming Saturday so we'll be entertaining a lot of out-of-town family and friends. I asked a couple of them if they want to go to my gun club to shoot handguns and both said yes. So it'll be my twin brother from Joliet, Illinois who has never fired a gun before. His son-in-law, Todd may come along, too. I don't know his level of experience. My friend Marc, from Maryland, is definitely interested. Last time we visited them, I showed him one of my carry guns at his kitchen table, and he asked to be taught. Maryland is a may issue state, but he's pretty conservative and always ranting about Maryland's liberal state political majority. His college age son might come along. Neither have ever fired a gun to my kowledge.

I'll start with a basic gun safety discussion and demonstrate the manual of arms for revolvers and common semi-autos, and we can demonstrate grip, sight picture and practice loading and racking slides using snap caps before we enter the range.

Once on the range, I'll start them on a .22LR revolver, then step up to a .38 SPCL. The .38 has a 5 inch barrel, so is heavy enough that its recoil won't frighten them. We'll put the revolvers away and take out the Walther P22 in .22LR. It's small, lightweight, no recoil, with an easy single action trigger (DA/SA). If they're still with me, I'll let them fire some rounds through my two favorite carry guns (.40 cal Glock 23 and 9mm Kahr MK9). The Kahr has a snappy recoil compared to what they will have fired, but I think they'll be ready for it. I'll caution them to hang on firmly.

It might be overload for the first timers, but I could also bring out the .32 ACP Beretta Tomcat. It's got a kick for such a small caliber. I might just show it to them to demonstrate the bottom size range for self defence guns.

VIP Member
    It looks like You got it all worked out. I always start a new shooter off with the .22lr. Enjoy and be safe.

Most important Congrads on the Marrige of Your Daughter.

Sounds like you've got a good plan in place. I always say to leave on a high note - don't wait for things to start regressing, leave when improvement is noticeable. YMMV.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    Sounds Great. Have somebody pop a few photos.
    Congrats! By The Way.

a family that shoots together,stays together. stay safe and have fun.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Sponsored Links