Wheel gun opinions

This is a discussion on Wheel gun opinions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a Taurus Judge a month back and sent the thing back for repairs. I was planning on using it as my open carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel gun opinions

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

Wheel gun opinions

I bought a Taurus Judge a month back and sent the thing back for repairs. I was planning on using it as my open carry gun while riding horse or camping.

I've been waiting a long time on the Taurus with no response from them and I'm getting pretty impatient. The dealer has offered me an exchange and I've been considering a Heritage Arms single action in .45LC. I would probably carry it in the same situations as mentioned above but I've also thought it would be fun to get into SASS in a future life, I like the classic look, and the barrel length would be legal for big game in CO (not that it would be my first choice over the 30.06)

Thought I'd open it up for opinions in case there something I'm not considering here. I only got to shoot the Judge 5 rounds of .410 before it became apparant there was a problem with the gun so I wasn't able to find out how much I do or don't like it.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Some people like Taurus. But I have heard too many stories about people having the thing break and have to send it in. They fix it, but you have no contact until you receive it back. Personally, I want my gun to work every single time and not need repairs. Can it malfunction, yes it can, but do I carry the very best quality gun I can afford, YEP.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Administrator
    If your not happy with sending your Judge back to Taurus, then your really not going to like a Heritage Arms.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If your not happy with sending your Judge back to Taurus, then your really not going to like a Heritage Arms.
    I'm guessing you are saying you feel the quality of the Heritage is less than the Taurus?
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    I'm guessing you are saying you feel the quality of the Heritage is less than the Taurus?
    Yes, much less.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    The dealer has offered me an exchange
    Get credit towards a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag- you'll be much happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Get credit towards a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag- you'll be much happier.
    oh, that does look nice

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Taurus takes about 30 days to do a repair or replacement. My friend had a feeding problem with one of his hand guns. They replaced the barrel, slide, springs. Shoots like a champ now.

VIP Member
    +1 on the Ruger .44mag. You would be better off with that because you can also shoot the .44 long colt or .44 special through it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Ruger's wheelguns are built to last. The triggers aren't as smooth out of the box as S&W's but they do smooth out quite a bit as you shoot them. I would like to get a Ruger Redhawk 4" in .44 Magnum someday.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

ruger blackhawk, fine gun.....

i was realllllllllllllly bored one day..

Unless you get a 45 strong enough for really hot loads I'd go with the 44Mag for a woods gun. Although I use a 454 Super Redhawk and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by 86thecat View Post
    Unless you get a 45 strong enough for really hot loads I'd go with the 44Mag for a woods gun. Although I use a 454 Super Redhawk and love it.
    I went in today and made the swap for the blackhawk, blued in .44 with 4 5/8 barrel. They had to order it and it should be in on Monday. Thanks all for your opinions. The more I thought about it, the more I really liked this option.

Who is John Galt?

You made an excellent call on the Ruger.

Picked up the Rugar on Monday. Shot it last night with .44 Mag's and it HURTS!

Here it is posed with my pooch and also next to the Dan Wesson .357. The .357 was a gift from my father but the woman has taken it over. She carries Dan around when we ride and I'll have the .44. Also, the .357 isn't a legal big game hunting gun here in CO:

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links