Approached at the firing range

This is a discussion on Approached at the firing range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday, my father and I went to the American Legion in the next town over, as my Dad is a member of the AL (though ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Approached at the firing range

Approached at the firing range

Yesterday, my father and I went to the American Legion in the next town over, as my Dad is a member of the AL (though in Alaska), but with permission we were allowed to use their shooting range.

It's a nice range because:
    1.) No one is ever there
    2.) You can practice drawing/shooting and other drills without anyone around. It's pretty sweet.

About 2/3 through our time, we were both about 7 yards from our targets shooting. After we both get finished, we turn to head back up-range to go to the bench to reload. When we turned, there was a red truck sitting next to my Xterra, and a gentleman had his window rolled down saying something.

I pulled my earplugs out of my ears as I couldn't hear him talking. I assumed initially that he was an American Legion member, probably asking if we had permission to shoot or something. So I said, "Can I help you", with about 40 yards between us. He asked if we had any brass, and said he didn't mean to bother people while shooting.

He seemed awkward, and it seemed odd that he would just drive up to two guys shooting pistols (who he didn't know) and ask for their "brass, or any other small things made out of brass".

I told him we didn't have any brass, and he said okay and they drove off. Both Dad and I had our alarms going off, so it wasn't just me.

The problem was I was unarmed. We had just finished shooting our magazines, and were both empty (those guys didn't know that but they did see us walk away from the targets, so it would be a good assumption to make).

Anyway, it reminded me I need to keep my SA up, even at a gun range. It also put it in my mind that I should keep one of my pistols loaded and concealed.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

2. Remove Ads

Thats why you keep a loaded mag on you that your not working on the range.

Better yet, have a range on your property with 5 other people standing around with loaded guns ready for their turn. LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I dont see any reason to be alarmed..

I ask for people brass too since most dont reload
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

I like to take an extra magazine along with me, that is loaded with SD ammo, for the ride home.

Being that it was at a range, I donít think they where up to anything other than looking for bras.

But, then again, our range is secure, members only.

These are tough times...people are looking to conserve in a lot of areas and with ammo prices as high as they are getting (when you can find it) it seems perfectly legitimate....previously unusual may become the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
    I ask for people brass too since most dont reload
    +1

Nothing about that encounter seemed odd or suspicious to me.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Exclamation Taken from Local paper

The following is a link to the story where two army deserter killed a local pastor at an open and free shooting range in a state park. Their intent was robbery and they sold two of the weapons they stole. The moral of the story is you never know what or when something is going to happen. Just hope and prey you are ready when it does.

testimony: Robbery was motive in McCalla murder case - The Herald Dispatch
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand.
    Kimber CDP fullsize Kimber CDP Ultra
    Colt Combat Commander Colt Goverment 1991
    Springfield Armory 1911-a1 Sig Sauer GSR 1911

I'm a 1911 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post
    I dont see any reason to be alarmed..
    +1
    brass is in short supply these days
    the early bird gets the worm and your guy was trying to
    get the brass before anyone else came along and took it.
    it happens a lot at my range.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I shoot at a members only range and have never encountered an uncomfortable situation. There is a public range west of Colorado Springs that I will not go to again if I ever do I will always make sure I have a loaded gun on me at all times. I may get in trouble for profiling but some of the characters I have seen there look like they just might be willing to add to their gun collection by taking yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I shoot at a members only range and have never encountered an uncomfortable situation. There is a public range west of Colorado Springs that I will not go to again if I ever do I will always make sure I have a loaded gun on me at all times. I may get in trouble for profiling but some of the characters I have seen there look like they just might be willing to add to their gun collection by taking yours.
    Ditto - you refer to Rampart Range? There are a couple of other around here that are open, and I always have a BUG and some extra magazines at the ready.

Took my SIL shooting the AK at one of them, and a couple of toothless wonders drifted by in their ancient pickup (banjo, please)..... we made small talk and they finally drifted off, but only after some pointed hints directed their way, for the second time....

We always police our casings anyway, whether brass or steel.

With the economy soured, brass is valuable for several reasons, although driving around and burning gas for it doesn't make sense.

I think it was just trusting our "instinct" that something was up, and it wasn't just me, but my Dad as well. It might have been nothing, but they could have just as easily struck up the conversation just to pull a gun on two people that just burned all their ammo...leaving two guns to throw at them.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    I think it was just trusting our "instinct" that something was up, and it wasn't just me, but my Dad as well. It might have been nothing, but they could have just as easily struck up the conversation just to pull a gun on two people that just burned all their ammo...leaving two guns to throw at them.
    that's understandable I dont think no one is contradicting your judgement, just saying people do ask for brass from odd time to time.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Here we go again - alarms going off. Why? We have people looking for "Brass" all the time at the different ranges we go to. Some for reloading, others for scrap metal. I really think everyone should stay indoors, guns loaded, one in each hand - otherwise everyone that is a stranger that speaks to us will put us in fear of our lives. sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    I think it was just trusting our "instinct" that something was up,
    Listening to that "little" voice is always a good thing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links