Green Ammo?? Tree Huggers Strike Again

Green Ammo?? Tree Huggers Strike Again

This is a discussion on Green Ammo?? Tree Huggers Strike Again within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From CNN.com Should hunters switch to 'green' bullets? - CNN.com...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Green Ammo?? Tree Huggers Strike Again

VIP Member

Unhappy Green Ammo?? Tree Huggers Strike Again

CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

More choices?

I have been to lead free gun ranges before, and I did not come out craving granola or tofu.

Whats wrong with being a tree hugger?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krockett View Post
    Whats wrong with being a tree hugger?
    I prefer girls!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I don't know what "green" ammo is, but I definitely see the benefits of lead-free ammo. Lead-free ammo is just as effective as normal ammo and lead IS harmful when inhaled.

Senior Moderator
    I don't have a problem using non-lead bullets as long as the preform.

We had to stop using lead shot when hunting waterfowl for 2 decades now.

I don't see a problem with lead comtamination from rifle bullets and most hunting though.

P.S. I am an enviromentalist and nature lover.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

As long as they give comparable terminal performance, and they are reasonably priced, I wouldn't mind switching. Heck, in my big nasty Suburban I am burning Biodiesel.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wagglebee View Post
    I don't know what "green" ammo is, but I definitely see the benefits of lead-free ammo. Lead-free ammo is just as effective as normal ammo and lead IS harmful when inhaled.
    Are you planning to inhale bullets? That's considered suicide I think.

I've read in Guns and Ammo about lead tests on their writers who shoot guns more than most of us here. Their tests came in average. I'll have to look and see if I can find the article so I have my facts straight.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    I don't care what color my bullets are, red, green, blue or yellow!

Seriously though, there is no definitive study that I know of that says lead bullets used in hunting are a health hazard. If another material can be found to use, that works as well as lead and is not cost prohibitive then fine, I'd switch for most purposes. Black powder hunting is not one of them though. My rifle is the old caplock style and is not designed for shooting anything but a lead round ball. Neither is my cap and ball 1851 Navy Colt replica. Some guns are not designed for "alternative" ammo.

don't lick your bullets while smoking and you will be fine
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't care of people want to buy lead-free bullets. I don't think that makes you some kind of outcast. But, I think the controversy is over whether or not lead bullets should be banned, which I would not support.

From the article:
    Dr. Joseph Graziano, interim department chair of environmental health sciences at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health, said the public should switch away from lead bullets -- even if the research is still developing.

"It's hard to imagine that you could make a bullet out of something more toxic than lead," he said.
    How about if we switch to mercury bullets? That's what's in the compact fluorescent light bulbs that the environmentalists say we should switch to, so they must be OK with it.

well, when "Soy" Bullets get cheap enough to plink with (say 1000 rounds for $100) I will buy'em
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Environmentalism is not about saving the environment at all but all about about political control. It warps and twists every issue with which it comes in contact and costs American consumers piles of money unnecessarily. I don't want to trash the environment but I loathe anything to do with the hokey green movement and the ignorant who follow it as a religion. This green ammo business is about making it difficult for firearms ownership.

It looks like they are talking about using copper bullets. If that is the case, I would imagine those to be quite expensive. Just from a quick google, It appears that copper is about than 3 times more expensive than lead. Thats quite a cost jump.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Remember there are other shooters out there too. We have to support them as well if we hope to have a voice. I'm not so sure my choice of firearms could be used anymore if lead were to be banned. Don't think that a lead ban is not on the horizon.

Michael

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links